Brittany Pedigree: New Pup

boonebrit

Brittany Pedigree: New Pup

Post by boonebrit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Hello there... new to the board. I like what Ive read so far, lots of good info and nice posters. This is a great place to get info on anything gundogs.

Anyways, Im buying my first Brittany, picking him up early Oct. I was wondering if any of the Brittany folks on here can give me some insight on the pedigree of my new pup. Buying the pup from a great guy here in NC. Just looking for some additonal comments/insight of the pedigree that I may not know yet. Link below:
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... =0&damID=0

Thanks!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Brittany Pedigree: New Pup

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Greetings,

The pedigree you posted shows some excellent field breeding but is a little light on conformation. That isn't a problem unless you are thinking of showing along with the field work you intend to do. And even though it may be light in that area, there will still be some pups that will conform so you might get one that could go both ways. Sounds ike you are on the right track and hope everything works well for you. We will be here to help if you need it anytime you ask.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info... I will only be hunting, no showing. I own a fly-fishing/hunting guide service and the dog will be working with us on our adventures. Grouse, wood duck, mallards, pheasants. I wanted a hard hunting, stylish britt, I think Im on the right track. Any more opinions or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Cant wait to begin training... only trained labs for waterfowl in the past. Looking forward to the Brittany experience.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Same thing as ezzy said, plus your pup is out of a 1/2 brother mating a 1/2 sister(linebred on Shadows Frecked Sue). In your 4 generation pedigree you have 2 hall of fame britts, 5 national champs, and the best all breed nstra dog ever. It is a good field pedigree. Good luck with the dog.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:21 pm

deseeker wrote:Same thing as ezzy said, plus your pup is out of a 1/2 brother mating a 1/2 sister(linebred on Shadows Frecked Sue). In your 4 generation pedigree you have 2 hall of fame britts, 5 national champs, and the best all breed nstra dog ever. It is a good field pedigree. Good luck with the dog.
I was worried about the linebreeding within the pedigree... I know little about linebreeding, but some friends said I shouldnt be worried at all considering the hof, champs, etc. Thoughts on the 1/2 brother mating 1/2 sister?

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:10 pm

i have owned and bred to half siblings, thats not a big deal. What concerns me more is that the "linebreeding" falls equally on Picketts Sue who appears to be of no known pedigree... can you provide any more information there???

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm

boonebrit wrote:
deseeker wrote:Same thing as ezzy said, plus your pup is out of a 1/2 brother mating a 1/2 sister(linebred on Shadows Frecked Sue). In your 4 generation pedigree you have 2 hall of fame britts, 5 national champs, and the best all breed nstra dog ever. It is a good field pedigree. Good luck with the dog.
I was worried about the linebreeding within the pedigree... I know little about linebreeding, but some friends said I shouldnt be worried at all considering the hof, champs, etc. Thoughts on the 1/2 brother mating 1/2 sister?
I've done it twice--Once 1/2 brother X 1/2 sister (line breed on NAFC/DC Lobo's Cotton Candy) all good pups with no genetic problems--grandpup out of this breeding was AKC national Gun Dog Champ(non retreiving).

The 2nd time is now--pups are only 4 1/2 weeks old so I don't know yet how they will turn out--this one is a Bourbon 1/2 brother mating a Bourbon 1/2 sister.

I've done and uncle breeding a niece a few times and they turned out good. You just need to check the past dogs pretty close so there aren't genetic problems in them.

Alot of great brittanys were line bred alot---BanDee, Perry's Rustic Prince, Bean's Blaze for a couple of examples.

Go to the OFA web site and check the dogs in your pedigree to see how many have been OFAd

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:08 pm

This also shows pickett's sue's pedigree

http://goldwindbritts.com/files/Rebel.htm

let me know what you think. i appreciate all the feedback.
Found a list of winners from Pickett's Sue/Shambo's Dark Shadow, 5 or so dogs did well/won many events in the midwest in mid 2000's.

armand

Post by armand » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:25 pm

grats on the pup best of luck