Looking for a Cull!

Nick Yochum

Looking for a Cull!

Post by Nick Yochum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm looking for a cull female. I am looking to buy a high energy female ep or gsp, one that doesnt want to point? Looking to make a hog dog out of it. (918)7812495

Georgia Boy

Re: Looking for a Cull!

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 pm

I think you should look for something else myself but what do you call a "hog dog"
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:I think you should look for something else myself but what do you call a "hog dog"
+1

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Well I dont know how much yal know about hog hunting but a high energy bird dog has the perfect style for hunting hogs, much better than a hound in my opinion. I have a few HOG DOGS. I run mostly catahoulas and blackmouths but some brd dog blood in my kennel aint gonna hurt any.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:09 pm

I have a Pointer who loves to mess with the hog. She will grab him by the tail. But they are not tough enough IMO. Every year i hear about many of the top male Pointers getting torn up by hogs in Texas.

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Yea, thats part of hog hunting, I put kevlar vests on the dogs that try to catch to prevent. Any dog cur, brddog, hound, and even bulldogs are gonna get tore up fooling with hogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Nick Yochum wrote:Yea, thats part of hog hunting, I put kevlar vests on the dogs that try to catch to prevent. Any dog cur, brddog, hound, and even bulldogs are gonna get tore up fooling with hogs.
Then it seems obvious that the answer is respect your dogs and don't let them fool with pigs. Sounds very much like dog fighting.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:39 am

Nick Yochum wrote:Well I dont know how much yal know about hog hunting but a high energy bird dog has the perfect style for hunting hogs, much better than a hound in my opinion. I have a few HOG DOGS. I run mostly catahoulas and blackmouths but some brd dog blood in my kennel aint gonna hurt any.

I just so happen to know little bit about hunting boar with dogs :lol: That is one of the many things we use our dogs for. We run DD's and Jagd Terriers and if I were looking for a "bird dog" for use on hogs the DD would be my first choice by far.
ezzy333 wrote:
Nick Yochum wrote:Yea, thats part of hog hunting, I put kevlar vests on the dogs that try to catch to prevent. Any dog cur, brddog, hound, and even bulldogs are gonna get tore up fooling with hogs.
Then it seems obvious that the answer is respect your dogs and don't let them fool with pigs. Sounds very much like dog fighting.

Ezzy
How ignorant, just because it is not a type of hunting you participate in it shouldn't be done :roll:. Down in the south feral hogs do billions of dollars of damage every year. Our government employees USDA hunters who's job is getting rid of them and handling other wildlife issues. Several of my DD pups are with these USDA hunters and other professional hunters performing their various duties 12 months out of the year. In the south east part of the country the only effective way to hunt the hogs is with dogs because of the thick forests. You also need to have dogs that will stop them, with out that your success rate would be very low. Down here it has been a tradition for a long time and we are encouraged, again, by our government to kill everyone we can. The dangers are many for dogs when doing any kind of hunting, all we can do is try to minimize them to the best of our ability while they are performing their job. They are after all working dogs, at least mine are. :lol: We have been doing nuisance and depredation work all summer long, hunting season opens today for us :D Ezzy, get out and do what ever it is with your dogs and happy hunting, or on second thought maybe you should just leave them in the box, they might get injured :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:33 am

Georgia Boy,

Thanks for the reply and sage advice, but maybe you need to read better or at least have a better understanding of some of the posts. There is no need to feel you have to reply to a post that was directed at what someone else posted. The results are you are accusing me of something I never said or even indicated I said it to you.
Looking for a Cull!
by Nick Yochum » Yesterday, 21:44

Yea, thats part of hog hunting, I put kevlar vests on the dogs that try to catch to prevent. Any dog cur, brddog, hound, and even bulldogs are gonna get tore up fooling with hogs.

Tell us all again how someone that states all of his dogs get tore up by the animal he is hunting for sport should continue the activity without figuring a better way to do it. I know and fully understand the problems wild hogs cause and what makes it even worse we have sport hunters illegally transporting them into areas that don't have them and releasing them so they can go out and hunt them. There was much of that dome in your area also in the past and now we all have to live with the results. I have no problem with anyone hunting and trying to eliminate or at least control the problem. I do find fault with anyone that states all of his dogs get tore up continuing to hunt in the same manner and continue to have the dogs injured and maimed. That makes no more sense than someone buying dogs for dog fighting. It is simply cruel treatment of an animal just for their personal entertainment.

Hope you can continue to hunt, shoot, and kill as many hogs as possible. But if you want to have that privilege you and the other true hunters better clean up the sport or all of our anti hunters will get it stopped, and rightly so. None of us need to engage in any activity that ends with our dogs injured and maimed. And worse when it is primarily for entertainment purposed. There are better ways to get the job done for anyone seriously trying to eliminate the problem.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:14 am

Well Ezzy, It's obvious that you know very little about wild hogs or hunting them. I have been hunting hogs several different ways and dogs are the most effective by far, While some people think of it as a bloodsport or dog fighting, until you have witnessed what hogs will do firsthand i think you are pretty ignorant to the situation. I'm not asking for your birddog, i simply put a post on here to try a find a dog that wasn't working out as a bird dog and give them a different job, they may or may not work out as a hog dog but if it is something the dog loves to do then i believe it's good for a dog to have a job.
Last edited by Nick Yochum on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:19 am

georgia boy, I'm from oklahoma, Hog hunting there and here are two different worlds. Jagds just dont have the leg to make it in this country and I dont have enough knowledge about a DD's to know if they will work, butthe right pointers and gsp's do pretty well out here.
Last edited by Nick Yochum on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:39 am

I voted for shooting them from aircraft.

Assuming a spayed female is acceptable, a lot of the smaller and rural shelters get in pointing breeds on a regular basis. I don't think I'd mention hogs, though.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 am

Casey, I'm only about 20 minutes southeast of you. The ODWC runs helicopter shooting execises on a regular basis around here and success is pretty minimal because of the thick cover hogs can hide in.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:59 am

That would put you around Gibson? Not much you can do in that cover, you're right. Out west is a different story, though and they need to wipe those things out, especially considering the damage they cause to tank water supplies during droughts. I'll send you a message with a number of someone who might be able to connect you with a surplus pointer.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:
Nick Yochum wrote:Well I dont know how much yal know about hog hunting but a high energy bird dog has the perfect style for hunting hogs, much better than a hound in my opinion. I have a few HOG DOGS. I run mostly catahoulas and blackmouths but some brd dog blood in my kennel aint gonna hurt any.

Ezzy

How ignorant, just because it is not a type of hunting you participate in it shouldn't be done :roll:. Down in the south feral hogs do billions of dollars of damage every year. Our government employees USDA hunters who's job is getting rid of
them and handling other wildlife issues. Several of my DD pups are with these USDA hunters and other professional hunters performing their various duties 12 months out of the year. In the south east part of the country the only
effective way to hunt the hogs is with dogs because of the thick forests. You also need to have dogs that will stop them,
with out that your success rate would be very low. Down here it has been a tradition for a long time and we are
encouraged, again, by our government to kill everyone we can. The dangers are many for dogs when doing any kind of hunting, all we can do is try to minimize them to the best of our ability while they are performing their job. They are after all working dogs, at least mine are. :lol: We have been doing nuisance and depredation work all summer long, hunting season opens today for us :D Ezzy, get out and do what ever it is with your dogs and happy hunting, or on second thought maybe you should just leave them in the box, they might get injured :lol:
I'm from the south and know a lot about hog and deer hunting with dogs and also know that's the main reason we have so many regulations on hunters now. they even have dog hunting areas in Florida so they can regulate these guys and believe me you Can tell what areas they are because the woods are nasty and we at one time had open pens for people to return lost hunting dogs but they had to close them because the hog hunters would come get them and run the islands and swamps with them so they did not lose one of there dogs they call them throw aways. It's not all of them but at least 80% of them should not be allowed in the woods in THE SOUTH.Yea what a tradition we have in the south!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm

I have sold dogs to hog hunters for the exact purpose of breeding to enhance the noses of their hog dogs. I see nothing wrong with it. If I had a cull right now I would be more than happy to help. Poo Poo all the naysayers, they just dont know what they dont know.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:24 pm

topher40 wrote:I have sold dogs to hog hunters for the exact purpose of breeding to enhance the noses of their hog dogs. I see nothing wrong with it. If I had a cull right now I would be more than happy to help. Poo Poo all the naysayers, they just dont know what they dont know.

I've cut more hogs then you will eat in a lifetime so don't comment on something you don't know.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Chris,

You are welcome to sell to who you want but that has nothing to do with what you know or what everyone else doesn't know. I lived in Oklahoma for several years and we have a farm in southern Iowa now and we have hogs in the neighborhood. I have seen how some use the dogs and it isn't pretty. That is all I commented on when someone tells me all of his dogs get tore up I just don't think I would be real anxious to sell him a dog. They mean a little more than that to me. And I am not saying you shouldn't hunt hogs with them but there are different ways touse the dogs and it isn't necessary to have your dogs torn up for your enjoyment. If that makes me stupid, ignorant, or just a naysayer, so be it. I don't have any desire to change that.

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Kind of like the risk of getting a pheasant dog shot, I'd say. Or a coonhound drowned. Or a long coated chihuahua grabbed through the iron fence around the neighborhood lake and pounded to a bloody pulp by a male swan right in front of your nine year old daughter. They are dogs and sometimes things happen to them that aren't pretty.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Kind of like the risk of getting a pheasant dog shot, I'd say. Or a coonhound drowned. Or a long coated chihuahua grabbed through the iron fence around the neighborhood lake and pounded to a bloody pulp by a male swan right in front of your nine year old daughter. They are dogs and sometimes things happen to them that aren't pretty.

I grew up hunting hogs on the Suwannee River in north FL and if you think it is anything like the above statement or what you see on TV you have no clue what hog hunting is,I've held ears on by the dozen,held a dogs jaw bone in his head while trying too keep him from chocking on his teeth that got knocked down his throat on a head to head with a hog and this stuff happens more often then not it is better with the new vest out but if you have never seen what a dog goes through or think what you see on TV is hog hunting or sold a hog hunter a dog don't assume it's just like bird hunting or any other sport with a dog because it's not!
Last edited by Johng918 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Ezzy just for your info I used to be a bird hunter just like many of you guys, but do to predation by hogs and other factors I dont have enough birds left around to justify owning a birddog. I do enjoy hunting hogs but I also hunt them out of necessity, my family runs alot of cattle and farms quite a bit of ground. The hogs impact both of those practices.I did not post on this site to ask your approval and your arrogance has offended me, If you make it down to oklahoma some time please look me up i would love to meet you face to face.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Nick,

I don't get there very often anymore. Most of my close relatives that farmed there have since retired and most of our friends that we had when I lived there have passed on. I know and understand the problem with hogs and I hunted them too, but there are different ways of doing it. We run dogs also but seldom ever had a dog injured since once we found them we usually kept the dogs out of the fight just because of the serious injuries that often happened when people let the dogs get involved.

Sorry my arrogance offended you but you are the only one that can control that. And my original post had little to do with hog hunting but a great deal to do with someone who comes straight out and asks to buy a dog while telling us all of his dogs get injured hunting like he does. You have the right to do that and I will stick up for that right but I also will do what I can to influence people to do somethings differently or none of us will have the privilege to hunt some day. If that offends you then that probably means you are one of the ones that needs talking to.

Ezzy

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 pm

The best thing you can do to protect our rights and hunting heritage is stick together, stand up for the Constitution, and against the bleeding heart liberals :evil: Remember that come November.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Johng918 wrote:
Georgia Boy wrote:

Ezzy

How ignorant, just because it is not a type of hunting you participate in it shouldn't be done :roll:. Down in the south feral hogs do billions of dollars of damage every year. Our government employees USDA hunters who's job is getting rid of
them and handling other wildlife issues. Several of my DD pups are with these USDA hunters and other professional hunters performing their various duties 12 months out of the year. In the south east part of the country the only
effective way to hunt the hogs is with dogs because of the thick forests. You also need to have dogs that will stop them,
with out that your success rate would be very low. Down here it has been a tradition for a long time and we are
encouraged, again, by our government to kill everyone we can. The dangers are many for dogs when doing any kind of hunting, all we can do is try to minimize them to the best of our ability while they are performing their job. They are after all working dogs, at least mine are. :lol: We have been doing nuisance and depredation work all summer long, hunting season opens today for us :D Ezzy, get out and do what ever it is with your dogs and happy hunting, or on second thought maybe you should just leave them in the box, they might get injured :lol:
I'm from the south and know a lot about hog and deer hunting with dogs and also know that's the main reason we have so many regulations on hunters now. they even have dog hunting areas in Florida so they can regulate these guys and believe me you Can tell what areas they are because the woods are nasty and we at one time had open pens for people to return lost hunting dogs but they had to close them because the hog hunters would come get them and run the islands and swamps with them so they did not lose one of there dogs they call them throw aways. It's not all of them but at least 80% of them should not be allowed in the woods in THE SOUTH.Yea what a tradition we have in the south!
I cant speak for you, your practices, or anyone else but I am a very ethical hunter and pride myself on that. I follow all game laws and respect peoples property as I would my own. For my dogs and I the work after the shot is the most important.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:48 pm

I knew a couple of guys back in Oklahoma that ran hogs. They tried to use shorthairs and it wasn't pretty at all. While I agree that a bird dog has a better nose than most they are not built for that kind of punishment. You need a much tougher dog for that. The dogs mentioned above and I know that pit bulls seem to handle the beating pretty good.

As a side note, the shorthairs did find the hog and did engage like you would expect them to, but neither dog made it out of the field that day. it was the most humane thing to do. I know that when it comes to hogs they are a horrible pest and that problem needs to be taken care of, but I do agree with Ezzy. Do the very best that you can to protect the dog. They are out there doing everything possible to please you just as they would if it were on birds. It is your responsibility to protect them the best way you can. Unfortunately, it will never be enough when it comes to hogs.

Joe

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Johng918 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Kind of like the risk of getting a pheasant dog shot, I'd say. Or a coonhound drowned. Or a long coated chihuahua grabbed through the iron fence around the neighborhood lake and pounded to a bloody pulp by a male swan right in front of your nine year old daughter. They are dogs and sometimes things happen to them that aren't pretty.

I grew up hunting hogs on the Suwannee River in north FL and if you think it is anything like the above statement or what you see on TV you have no clue what hog hunting is,I've held ears on by the dozen,held a dogs jaw bone in his head while trying too keep him from chocking on his teeth that got knocked down his throat on a head to head with a hog and this stuff happens more often then not it is better with the new vest out but if you have never seen what a dog goes through or think what you see on TV is hog hunting or sold a hog hunter a dog don't assume it's just like bird hunting or any other sport with a dog because it's not!
Easy buddy you aren't the only person around here that has hunted plenty of hogs with gritty dogs.

But I would suggest the OP look here http://www.baydog.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 pm

It is good to see they keep breeding stock to replenish the wild hogs they harvest. Maybe people will begin to understand the problem when we have people raising and turning the young ones out into the wild. If only they could understamd the damage they do to our land and crops.

Ezzy

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:12 am

ACooper wrote:
Johng918 wrote:

Easy buddy you aren't the only person around here that has hunted plenty of hogs with gritty dogs.

But I would suggest the OP look here http://www.baydog.com

Never said I was just making a comment to the ones that make post on something they don't know anything about, and Im not your buddy
Last edited by Johng918 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:39 am

Just as an FYI the state of TN has banned hunting hogs with dogs because of the possibilty that hunters will release hogs for training and advance the spread. It has been a controversial move.
In this free country we are encouraged to stand together as a hunting community and protect our rights. High fence, deer farming, the list goes way on. I encourage everyone to think hard about who and what you support though because the choices we are making now may change the sport you love beyond recognition.
I know some hog hunters whom I consider good friends. I do not begrudge them their sport. But some bad apples out their releasing and spreading an invasive pest need to be stopped and I wouldnt want my dog playing that game, personally.
I value my freedom and yours too. A friend once told me "your rights end where my nose begins " but I can't quite seem to make that work correctly my nose extends to my property....
i take no sides here...

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:48 pm

For a bay dog I would think a hound breed like a walker, black/tan, plott, ect would be better than a pointer.....but thats just an assumption.

Being from Texas I know plenty of guys that run hogs with dogs. I've always wanted to go, just never have had the chance. Whats the difference between running cats or bears with dogs?
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:37 pm

JWP58 wrote:For a bay dog I would think a hound breed like a walker, black/tan, plott, ect would be better than a pointer.....but thats just an assumption.

Being from Texas I know plenty of guys that run hogs with dogs. I've always wanted to go, just never have had the chance. Whats the difference between running cats or bears with dogs?
Nothing other than cats and most bears tree, hogs and boar dont. Things can get pretty exciting

Tom L.

Post by Tom L. » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Some hog hunters use hounds, most like a dog who is silent on track and open up when the pig is in their face, it keeps the race shorter. Hence the use of cur dogs especially those used for working large live stock.

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Tom L is right on. Bird dog is the quickest way to add nose and hunt without getting open mouth dogs.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:27 am

If i was to run a dog for hogs, i would look at one of these......

for the guys who hunt hogs, do you eat them? I have heard of them being "so-so" for taste? True?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:36 am

They taste very good, but different from farm raised hogs.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:37 am

Nick Yochum wrote:Tom L is right on. Bird dog is the quickest way to add nose and hunt without getting open mouth dogs.
Are your curs lacking nose or hunt?

jbogacki76

Post by jbogacki76 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:14 am

You want a hog dog contact Jerry Campbell in Texas.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:10 am

At first I was thinking are pointers even wired for that sort of work (high contact) but then it occured that for versatiles in Europe boar would be an expected quarry so yea it should be there in the genes somewhere, but I would I think you would need some strong Euro blood, I don't see my LM doing that sort of work I have seen some GWP's and DD's with hard enough heads and sturdy builds, but would they work in the heat?

All I have seen of running contact dogs has been on TV and short of one show where the pack was wiped out by a puma in south america it's been very sanitized, and judging by some of the hits I have seen on the scrubbed shows (those silly hog hunter and such) I can just imagine what it is really like. I would hunt them if I could, but there are not that many north of the border. Full contact work like that is nasty stuff, probably not my cup of tea, as long as your taking proper percautions I am good.

Hey I am taking my bird dog up to the high country in a couple of days grizzly, cougars, wolves and even the terrain can lead to an injured or dead dog, you take your percautions and hope for the best and be ready for the worst, nothing is zero risk.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 am

I, sadly, have a linebred Rawhide's Clown grandson GSP that can track and bay with the best of them. He so far hasn't gotten close enough to learn a hard lesson other than that pigs cause lightning.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:14 pm

The most successful hog hunters and dogs I know personally are in Germany. They either drive them to shooters on stand or work 1-2 dogs alone on hogs in cover.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:16 pm

JKP wrote:The most successful hog hunters and dogs I know personally are in Germany. They either drive them to shooters on stand or work 1-2 dogs alone on hogs in cover.
I am sure you will agree that the majority of hog hunting in Europe and what we do here are pretty different.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:38 pm

No comment on using Dogs on Hogs. I would like to thank Nick for being honest about his plans for the dog. Agree or disagree with the goal, at least you didn't lie about your plans: to breed a "bad bird dog" hoping to improve your hog dogs.

That said, I doubt other are correct in suggesting you go to a shelter as they generally have a 100% snippem before we shippem policy... not a good way to get a breeding dog.

Thanks for you honesty. No comment on either side of the rest of the conversation.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 pm

ACooper wrote:
JKP wrote:The most successful hog hunters and dogs I know personally are in Germany. They either drive them to shooters on stand or work 1-2 dogs alone on hogs in cover.
I am sure you will agree that the majority of hog hunting in Europe and what we do here are pretty different.
Like night and day

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:
ACooper wrote:
Like night and day
I have heard firsthand hat the Russian Hogs are much more aggressive that ferals, and larger and more dangerous.
The Russian Boar are often brought in here to Kill the less aggressive feral boar, and lower the brood/number of piglets.
Never hunted the Russians, only the ferals.

Tom L.

Post by Tom L. » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:30 pm

ACooper wrote:
Nick Yochum wrote:Tom L is right on. Bird dog is the quickest way to add nose and hunt without getting open mouth dogs.
Are your curs lacking nose or hunt?
Most curs don't lack hunt, they have plenty of grit and drive. I think a dog like a gsp will give them range and nose (though most curs have decent noses). Some guys cross their curs with bull dogs (3/4 cur 1/4 pit) adding some bird dog to this does bring in range and hunt. However if you do your homework you can find some lines of curs that do have a really good mix of the above traits.

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 pm

My catahoula dogs could use a bit more hustle to suit me and my black mouths could use more winding ability . I personally dont mind eatin the hogs, smaller ones are excellent the bigger boars are just plain nasty but I have several vietnamese folks get hogs from me that will eat only mature boars.
Last edited by Nick Yochum on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Nick Yochum wrote:My catahoula dogs could use a bit more hustle to suit me and my black mouths could use more winding ability .
I could see that depending on lines. If you were to cross in birddog you will want to focus on lines with more run and independence.

IMO there are plenty of good lines of cur dogs around that you wouldn't need to cross, but if I were going to I would look at a miller bred pointer, you should get independence, stamina, heat tolerance, and of course nose. You could probably say the same about several lines of pointer, Miller is just the one that came to mind.

Even then I think you would want a 3/4 cur to 1/4 pointer etc. Or as Tom mentioned maybe a Cur x birdog/pit might make a dog.

If you check the baydog.com classifieds you should be able to find someone that has already made the cross and has pups to sell.

Found these on a quick search.

have 3 young dogs about 8 months old. ½ bulldog, ¼ cur, ¼ birddog. Had full intentions of making these running catch dogs. I haven’t had time to even get them started. If interested call me at 318-542-9664. These dogs are free. 8/21/12

(bird-bull male pup) 8 weeks old large healthy pup shots/dewormed....email or text for pictures....sire apbt red rednose 75 lb athletic rcd,finds his own hogs-----dam english pointer high energy medium range bay dog/gritty,catches small hogs alone...... $100 727 494 5289-can text- new port richey florida 8/7/12

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Coop, There are several lines of cur dogs that have all of the right traits, but they are very hard to get one. The lines have sustained these traits because the breeders have not let many pups leave their yards.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:51 am

Anyone ever tried Rhodesian Ridgebacks for this type of work? Work pretty well on dangerous game out these parts...

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:46 am

I have no firsthand experience with hog hunting, but I happened to be talking to a buddy of mine this weekend, who has done it quite a bit. He doesn't hog hunt with dogs anymore, but said that he did make a point of not getting too attached to his catch dogs as they don't tend to live past the age of 5 before an unfortunate encounter with a hog does them in. fwiw.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"