Finding AKC HT Judges

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Finding AKC HT Judges

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Any tips on locating AKC Hunt Test judges on short notice since the new AKC site appears to be possessed by demons? Volunteers for the assignment gladly considered. I have club connections, but am trying to avoid the same-o, same-o syndrome.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

WillowyndRanch

Re: Finding AKC HT Judges

Post by WillowyndRanch » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Good luck! The HT judging pool decreased significantly with the AKC mandate that experienced judges had to take a written test to continue judging. As it's already a somewhat thankless and generally expensive donation to judge HT's for AKC events, a good many just said, Ok, I'll pass and haven't judged since. They've judged for 20 years but suddenly now aren't qualified.

The Same-O is definitely prevalent in Northern California HT's. There are three recurring judges at virtually every Hunt test. One of them can't walk well and won't ride a horse so rides in a truck on the lanes back and forth and wobbles out into part of the bird field to attempt to see what happens. It's sad because she's trying the best she's able, but the pool definitely needs to be expanded!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:21 pm

That explains a LOT! Thanks for the information. Back to the drawing board.......

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 pm

If a judge has been judging for 20 years and can't pass a written test about the rules of HT's then I don't want them looking at my dog.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Looks like the younger generation might have to contribute a little .... Brad!

Gooseman07

Finding AKC HT Judges

Post by Gooseman07 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:43 am

I doubt it is the fact they "can't" pass a written test, it's probably more, " I already went through certification and have put my time in the last 20 years and NOW you want me to change what I have to do to stay qualified?"

I probably wouldn't do it because it's just another thing. If I know that I have to complete so many credits every year to keep certified and I still get into it, ok, I'll keep certified. These judges enjoy being out in the field and looking at dogs work. It's not something they have to do! Just my .02

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:44 am

I dont think its so much the fact that the older judges dont want to take the test or attend a seminar. Probably more the fact that lots of them have put in lots of years judging and it's just time to do something else. Couple this attrition rate with the requirements to make new judges and the declining participation in organized dog activities and you have a shortage of judges.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:50 am

Well, if there are any still standing that can come to Oklahoma October 20 - 21, I'd love to talk to them! We are short two and it's getting down to the wire.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:44 am

ultracarry wrote:Looks like the younger generation might have to contribute a little .... Brad!
I don't think anyone would want me looking at their dog either. :wink:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am

I'm going to get my stuff done this fall. I have nothing better to do then watch dogs :)

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:09 pm

I can understand where folks are coming from, but honestly, how many occupations require continuing education, recertification, classes to familiarize themselves with the latest rules changes, etc? I don't think a written test that takes all of 30 minutes to complete every 5 years is that big a deal. JMHO.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

sh0rthair

Post by sh0rthair » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 pm

I've been trying to get into a seminar to become a HT judge for 4 years now.
Every year I contact AKC looking for a seminar and if there are any within 300 miles, I make phone calls and emails.
I have never received a return phone call or email from the person doing the seminar so I could attend.
When I call AKC back, they tell me that there is nothing they can do for me because I need to get ahold of the person in charge of the seminar.
Finally, I give up and try again next year.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm

sh0rthair wrote:I've been trying to get into a seminar to become a HT judge for 4 years now.
Every year I contact AKC looking for a seminar and if there are any within 300 miles, I make phone calls and emails.
I have never received a return phone call or email from the person doing the seminar so I could attend.
When I call AKC back, they tell me that there is nothing they can do for me because I need to get ahold of the person in charge of the seminar.
The NAVHDA guys out here put on HT seminars. Maybe you could try the local chapter in your area and see if any of them are putting one on.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:39 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Well, if there are any still standing that can come to Oklahoma October 20 - 21, I'd love to talk to them! We are short two and it's getting down to the wire.
A good friend of mine is a HT judge and he travels a lot. They were in a Field Trial in KY this past weekend. He lives in Ohio. I can PM you his info if you like?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:23 am

QuailHollow wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Well, if there are any still standing that can come to Oklahoma October 20 - 21, I'd love to talk to them! We are short two and it's getting down to the wire.
A good friend of mine is a HT judge and he travels a lot. They were in a Field Trial in KY this past weekend. He lives in Ohio. I can PM you his info if you like?
That would be great. Thanks.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 am

sh0rthair wrote:I've been trying to get into a seminar to become a HT judge for 4 years now.
AKC will list judge,s seminars on the their web site. The Lincoln Shorthair Club(Nebraska) is having a pointing HT judge's & handlers seminar on Dec 1 (I think it will be in Omaha at Cabel's) Price is usually around $40 if any local judges or handlers are interested.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 am

http://www.akc.org/clubs/seminars/seminars.cfm?page=5

Here is the link to upcoming Pointing Breed HT Seminars

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:07 pm

original mngsp wrote:I dont think its so much the fact that the older judges dont want to take the test or attend a seminar. Probably more the fact that lots of them have put in lots of years judging and it's just time to do something else. Couple this attrition rate with the requirements to make new judges and the declining participation in organized dog activities and you have a shortage of judges.
One of my wiser moves was to decline going through the testing and evaluation process to become a HT judge. It is not something I choose to participate in myself, as I would rather do trials, and it seemed like such a rigamarole to go through for something that would not be a lot of fun for me. I do however think I would be rather insulted if the AKC said to me that I had to recertify after having been a practicing HT judge for years.

I can say without equivocation that when and if the AKC institutes a similar requirement for AKC trial judges, I will have judged my last AKC event, because I most certainly would take serious offense to that. I do not think I would be alone in that sentiment.

The person who brought up certifications and such failed to add that the vast majority of those certifications and CEU's are required for PAYING jobs, not volunteer ones. The requirements for certification and CEU's for things like Fire Departments and especially Rescue Squads have generally had disastrous effects on the number of folks available as volunteers. The certification requirements for firemen and paramedics and other first responders are commendable and necessary to some degree, but the effect of them has been to decimate the ranks of the vounteers.

Field trial and hunt test judges are volunteers, most of whom would much rather be running their own dogs and relaxing in between braces instead of riding every single brace, rain or shine, and watching every single dog with close attention for the entirey of its run. Very often they come to the event hauling their own horses, providing their own, mobile sleeping accomodations and don't ask for anything in the way of compensation for any of that.

RayG

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:15 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
original mngsp wrote:I dont think its so much the fact that the older judges dont want to take the test or attend a seminar. Probably more the fact that lots of them have put in lots of years judging and it's just time to do something else. Couple this attrition rate with the requirements to make new judges and the declining participation in organized dog activities and you have a shortage of judges.
One of my wiser moves was to decline going through the testing and evaluation process to become a HT judge. It is not something I choose to participate in myself, as I would rather do trials, and it seemed like such a rigamarole to go through for something that would not be a lot of fun for me. I do however think I would be rather insulted if the AKC said to me that I had to recertify after having been a practicing HT judge for years.

I can say without equivocation that when and if the AKC institutes a similar requirement for AKC trial judges, I will have judged my last AKC event, because I most certainly would take serious offense to that. I do not think I would be alone in that sentiment.

The person who brought up certifications and such failed to add that the vast majority of those certifications and CEU's are required for PAYING jobs, not volunteer ones. The requirements for certification and CEU's for things like Fire Departments and especially Rescue Squads have generally had disastrous effects on the number of folks available as volunteers. The certification requirements for firemen and paramedics and other first responders are commendable and necessary to some degree, but the effect of them has been to decimate the ranks of the vounteers.

Field trial and hunt test judges are volunteers, most of whom would much rather be running their own dogs and relaxing in between braces instead of riding every single brace, rain or shine, and watching every single dog with close attention for the entirey of its run. Very often they come to the event hauling their own horses, providing their own, mobile sleeping accomodations and don't ask for anything in the way of compensation for any of that.

RayG
Well, the question was about the AKC website, which seems to have been improved since I first posted the question. I'm sure your nine stakes in two years experience qualifies you as an expert on AKC rules and regulations, so I'll leave you to pontificate. However, after over twenty years of living with the fire service, I can only say you simply do not know what you are talking about in that arena.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:

RayG
Well, the question was about the AKC website, which seems to have been improved since I first posted the question. I'm sure your nine stakes in two years experience qualifies you as an expert on AKC rules and regulations, so I'll leave you to pontificate. However, after over twenty years of living with the fire service, I can only say you simply do not know what you are talking about in that arena.

It has been the deciding factor in many of our small volunteer fire departments disbanding. Not saying it should be required or not but when you start telling volunteers they have to spend time and money to belong you might as well shut the doors and that is exactly whaT HAS HAPPENED.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

sh0rthair

Post by sh0rthair » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:05 pm

deseeker wrote:
AKC will list judge,s seminars on the their web site. The Lincoln Shorthair Club(Nebraska) is having a pointing HT judge's & handlers seminar on Dec 1 (I think it will be in Omaha at Cabel's) Price is usually around $40 if any local judges or handlers are interested.

Thank you. I have an email in to Dr. Roker for more information.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:

RayG

Well Casey -

I might not have twenty years of association with the fire service but I did grow up with a passel of uncles who were exempt firemen and I will assume you know what that means. My brother-in -law was a past volunteer Fire chief in his town in NJ and his wife was a lifetime member of their town's rescue squad. I also now live in a state(DE) where volunteer fire service has been elevated to heights not approached in other states...(virtually every single town and city in Delaware is served by volunteer firefighters) and know quite a few firemen. I understand that the certification requirments for an ambulance attendant are very significant, on the order of 100 hours per year. So yeah, I guess I don't know much about that arena.

As far as AKC judging is concerned, the date on my card is 3/09. However, I had been involved with AF trials for several year prior and only took the test as a courtesy. I did not "technically" need take the test or to apprentice. I think you might know what that means also.

I generally do not pontificate. I leave that to others. I just say it like it is. Sorry if you have a problem with that. I do hope you get the judges you need for your event. I know what a PIA getting everything in order for an event can be.

RayG

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:48 pm

I am trying to find my list and will email it too you. I Know Willie Castro usually can help.

Carla

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:20 pm

1vizsla wrote:I am trying to find my list and will email it too you. I Know Willie Castro usually can help.

Carla
Got it and passed it along to my helpy helper who is very grateful because it may keep her from leaving another message for a deceased person. :( Poor gal is traumatized. I wish there was a Facebook page for venue judges or something where the actual judges could keep their availability up to date.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Oh that's just sad for both parties involved. Anyway, I have more names if you need them.

Carla