Sun dog

WillieELk78GSP

Sun dog

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:49 pm

My 16 week old GSP Cabella loves the sun and won't come out of it unless I force her to, is this a bad thing for such a young pup? It has been getting up to about 95+ degrees out here in eastern Washington
, should I just keep her out of it permanently or atleast Control it or does she know when enough is enough?

Also here is a video of her first water retrieve!!!! Very happy with that!

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos#/watch?v=gcm9p6ovAfE
God Bless

asc

Re: Sun dog

Post by asc » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Lord have mercy, whatever did we do when they were just yard dogs?
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:08 pm

asc wrote:Lord have mercy, whatever did we do when they were just yard dogs?
Amen, and it is not a slam about this post but includes so many including when, how, and how much do you feed, What temp do we need to a/c or turn the heat on for them, what to use for bedding, and one of my favorites is what kind of boots, pants, and vest do you wear when hunting. And each of these questions get answered by 100 people with 99 different answers.

I also have to say if anyone seriously doesn't know then asking is the smart thing to do.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:44 pm

I know I know, just a first time dog owner and didn't know if the puppy knew when to go into the shade that's all
God Bless

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:49 pm

It sure is nice that a new person and first time birddog puppy owner can come here and ask questions without being made to look stupid. I know it's been along time for a lot of you since your first puppy, but how about you think about the questions and things you didn't know at your first rodeo.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:16 pm

I am going to go out on a limb here and offer you an answer to your question...

I think your pup will be fine as long as you give pup enough water and some shade she will be fine.

Good luck with your new pup.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:04 am

WillieELk78GSP wrote:I know I know, just a first time dog owner and didn't know if the puppy knew when to go into the shade that's all
If the pup is not smart enough to go to the shade when it gets too hot, you don't need that pup around anyways.

asc

Post by asc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:29 am

Wasn't trying to be a smart butt to you, sorry if it came across that way.
Nice looking dog in your avatar.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:28 am

How old is this pup? The avatar dog looks a little less than 8 wks old? It just may be too young to know better.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:21 pm

WillieELk78GSP wrote:My 16 week old GSP Cabella loves the sun and won't come out of it unless I force her to, is this a bad thing for such a young pup? It has been getting up to about 95+ degrees out here in eastern Washington
, should I just keep her out of it permanently or atleast Control it or does she know when enough is enough?

Also here is a video of her first water retrieve!!!! Very happy with that!

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos#/watch?v=gcm9p6ovAfE
Even with shade, it can wind up being too hot for pups (or dogs for that matter) because they simply don't have an efficient way of cooling themselves off.

Here in FL despite shelter & water we don't allow our dogs to be out more than 10 minutes in the Summer. Other times of the year it may not matter, but right now you could literally fry an egg on my lanai at noon if you wanted to. But my dog would be hunting gekkos around the downspouts! Yeesh.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Our dogs stay out in their run with the temps at 100 or better as long as they have shade and water. If you think they need more put 2 or 3 inches of water in a kids swimming pool an place it in the shade somewhere so the pup can get in the water if it wants. Dogs can stand a much heat as we can if they are taken care of and provided the tools to help them cool when they need to. All of our farm dogs lived out side their whole life without any special care other tha the normal care any animal deserves.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:26 pm

My 6yr old GSP will leave the air conditioned house in 100 deg,
find the only spot of sun in a heavily treed yard and lay down.
He doesn't come in out of the rain either!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm

As long as you have provided her with the opportunity for shade and water, I would not worry about it at 16 weeks old. My older dog is a sunbather...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:32 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Our dogs stay out in their run with the temps at 100 or better as long as they have shade and water. If you think they need more put 2 or 3 inches of water in a kids swimming pool an place it in the shade somewhere so the pup can get in the water if it wants. Dogs can stand a much heat as we can if they are taken care of and provided the tools to help them cool when they need to. All of our farm dogs lived out side their whole life without any special care other tha the normal care any animal deserves.

Ezzy
AMEN!!!!

I use wash tubs in my kennel runs.....It makes me feel better and the dogs like to sit in them for a few seconds at a time.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way