New puppy questions.

RobGSP

New puppy questions.

Post by RobGSP » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 pm

We will be bringing home a new puppy next week. The pup is a Boykin Spaniel. I currently have a 3yr old GSP. The GSP spends most of his time outside. The Boykin will spend most of her time inside. Any suggestions on the best way to introduce the dogs to each other. I will always supervise the dogs when they are together and I have the general idea of how to introduce them to each other but just looking for any suggestions you all may have. My GSP is an extremely friendly dog and is very popular in the neighborhood because he does so well with any dog he meets. He has never shown any form of aggression to any dog or person. I have four kids at home ages 9 to 15. He is great with all of them and since a pup I have had the kids help me with feeding and training. We are all very excited about a new dog and equally exited about having a new buddy for the GSP. Thanks in advance.

JIM K

Re: New puppy questions.

Post by JIM K » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:07 am

well, only what has worked and gone wrong for me with puppy.this is help tips i got for my pup and adult 10 year old lab named TOBY from some on here.
every dog could be different too.

when puppy is 7 weeks to 14 weeks they are BITING MACHINE. :roll: most are ,some are not.
so if adult dog is bit early say at 8 weeks on pup. THEY DONT FORGET.some rec not letting puppy around your adult dog until 14 weeks ,others say no.i say GO WITH 14 WEEKS IF YOU HAVE AGGRESSIVE NIPPER OF PUP. :wink:
OLDER PUP SEEMS TO NOT BITE ADULT DOGS AS MUCH. :wink:
if your pup is not aggressive,MINE IS, it may work real quick on getting along but IF pup is aggressive, YOUR GOOD ADULT DOG COULD BE IN FOR SOME HARRASSMENT. :o

you have got to keep adult dog the king in home not pup.

feed first, open door first, pet first, you know what i mean.

NEXT IF YOUR PUP IS aggressive, GET HIM IN WITH OTHER DOGS HIS SIZE TO PLAY.
you can do this at kennel that boards dogs. i take whiskers 1 time a week to there and he plays with 7 dogs his SIZE.make sure you have 2nd shots and kennel cough meds also.like at 10-12 weeks.
this makes BIG DIFFERENCE in your puppy on manners around other dogs and people too. :wink:

it comes down too this, if you have aggressive type puppy,wait longer to get him around your adult dog and GET HIM TO KENNEL AS QUICK AS YOU CAN WITH OTHER DOGS AT AROUND 12 WEEKS OLD.

if not aggressive, i feel take it slow around your adult dog and you should be fine.
in my situation i was worried about TOBY being to aggressive to pup, actually my problem now is dogs that are too nice ,that dont bite back or put up with whiskers .

nice dogs run from whiskers and toby does not take his crap. :roll:

deke

Re: New puppy questions.

Post by deke » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 am

I do it the exact opposite way. I come home set pup on the ground and let them figure out who is the big dog in the house. I break up any real fights, but besides that pup needs to learn to be submissive to the older bigger stronger dog, It usually does not take the pup to long to figure out how far he can push the older dog before he gets flung halfway across the living room. vice versa the older dog needs to learn how to deal with a pup, and they soon realize that pup will soon be bigger and stronger then them. and the generally turn into best buds. My two fought for the first two months the pup was home, now they are inseperable. The pup gets the old dog in trouble, and the old dog teaches the pup when it is time to run for his kennel.