Kona's hitting the road.

jcbuttry8

Kona's hitting the road.

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 pm

So, against the family decision, Kona will be hitting the road with Mike until possibly October.

She should hit a derby in August up by Pittsburgh, then a Pheasant Derby in Canada. Then swing down and catch the Pheasant and Quail futurities. I am hoping to drive to Conn and ride the Quail futurity and watch her role. I will then pack her up and head home for a spring filled with Amateur runs and birds. I can't see how this is much different than a kid in the candy store with 50 bucks.

I am not the most favorite guy in the house right now. Emily still hasn't talked to me. To bad the new pup isn't coming sooner than October.

Joe

ThePope

Re: Kona's hitting the road.

Post by ThePope » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:So, against the family decision, Kona will be hitting the road with Mike until possibly October.

She should hit a derby in August up by Pittsburgh, then a Pheasant Derby in Canada. Then swing down and catch the Pheasant and Quail futurities. I am hoping to drive to Conn and ride the Quail futurity and watch her role. I will then pack her up and head home for a spring filled with Amateur runs and birds. I can't see how this is much different than a kid in the candy store with 50 bucks.

I am not the most favorite guy in the house right now. Emily still hasn't talked to me. To bad the new pup isn't coming sooner than October.

Joe
I would agree with the rest of your family ...
If you wanna raise a bird dog to flip tricks , and run off to the big city ......
dont attach it to the rest of the kids !
keep the family pet a pet , hunt er close , feed her with the family
raise a new one for the Circus , keep your kids and wife away from it !
simple is

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:24 am

I can't comment about a lot of this but one thing i can say with soem certainty is...

There ain't much that is cheap about this whole deal.

RayG

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:30 am

If you wanna raise a bird dog to flip tricks , and run off to the big city ......
simple is

Wow, do you feel better now. As for the family. Haven't found a dog yet that my little girl hasn't gotten attached to. The only dogs I've seen her not hang on to are those not at my house. We have two family pets and a trial dog. Since she decided to be my trial partner it makes it hard for her to wait a few months.

Sure would make it easier to make that decision if I could tell at 8 weeks which one is which. You know the trial dog and the hunt em dog. Until then I will just continue on with life the way I am. You know, not pampering my kids and showing them that they don't always get everything they want when they want it, and yes they will survive and life goes on.

I do however appreciate you love and support.

Joe

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:08 am

[quote="ThePope
Your putting a child out in the streets to turn tricks like a cheap ho
why ?
simple is[/quote]

Wow....

I would compare it more to sending a kid off to college, or summer camp....

Joe,

I sent one off in may that will be gone probly through Sept. I know where your coming from, my wife has been giving me heck since a month before my pup even left. It will be worth every bit of it when she comes home.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:13 am

Boy oh boy. I guess someone sure told you where 'the pope' poops in the woods :lol: Joe, good luck to you and Kona. Sounds like a heck of a good time and she'll be home before you know it.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:42 am

Good luck to you. With Purina throwing in on Derby stakes, she should see a lot of good competition.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:52 am

Wow, Joe I must be Satan then because if they don't work out at my house or live up to my standards they go down the road or worse. Can't wait to hear how Kona progresses and to hopefully join you in the circus and be there to watch Kona run in person soon.

rinker

Post by rinker » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:53 pm

[quoteI would agree with the rest of your family ...
simple is][/quote]

I think it is truely sad when an animal (or person) isn't allowed to live up to it's potential. I could be wrong but I think that I have seen posts that said this dog is with George Tracy. I don't think one pup in a hundred, or maybe one in a thousand, has what it takes to make George Tracy's team. It is crazy to suggest that he just 'get another pup' to trial at this level. He could go through a dozen pups a year for several years and never find another one that can compete at this level. I think that the lady that owned Secretariat was pretty fond of him, what if she decided that she wanted him at home so she could feed him a carrot every day. Millions of people would have been deprived of something pretty special.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:23 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:So, against the family decision, Kona will be hitting the road with Mike until possibly October.

Joe
Sounds great . I'd do the same thing if I had the money. Keep us informed on how the dog does.:)

Well said, Rinker.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks Rinker, but just to make it clear she will be on Mike's string. Even so, she resides less than twenty yards from George's house right now. :D

I will keep you posted Sharon. I am excited. I keep hearing how my next will be somewhat disappointing. Had a couple of people so far shocked I got this kind of skill first time out. I can't wait to hear how she does up north. I will be going to the Tracy picnic this weekend and then will get to see her again in October.

Joe

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 am

Cool thing is Joe, you'll get use to sleeping in, not cleaning piles, not having to rush home to let her out, being able to have dinner with your wife and not having to leave, weekends away, etc. The best part is that you get back an even better dog that doesn't even know it left the house. All of her boundaries and rules at home come back within minutes. She go to her favorite spot in the yard, the house, and sleep where she always did. The next few month's will fly and you'll be thinking about when you can send her again.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:46 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:Thanks Rinker, but just to make it clear she will be on Mike's string. Even so, she resides less than twenty yards from George's house right now. :D

I will keep you posted Sharon. I am excited. I keep hearing how my next will be somewhat disappointing. Had a couple of people so far shocked I got this kind of skill first time out. I can't wait to hear how she does up north. I will be going to the Tracy picnic this weekend and then will get to see her again in October.

Joe
Don't be thinking that she'll forget you. My dog went to a trial , saw a trainer who had him 4 years ago . The dog greeted him like a long lost friend. They don't forget who was kind to them or who gave them grief.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:56 pm

I agree. I have been enjoying the freedoms I have now but do miss the daily trips to the football field for yard work. She should come back "bleep" near set and ready to run around here. I am looking forward to going to East Windsor for the New England trial. I will get to catch the whole trial and see how she truly stacks up with some of the great up and coming talent. I have even been told that it is a really great place to trial, so looking forward to checking it out. At least I will know the coarse when we go back up to run in the spring.

Sharon,
I am with you. I went up last weekend to run her with Mike. It was raining when I pulled up to the kennel and they were loading dogs into the trailer. So, I ran by the trailer and right into the office and was talking to Mike. Could barely hear him because of a dog going off. Then realized it was Kona. I looked out the door and she was right outside looking in at me going crazy. So, I went out, opened the door and loved on her in the rain then went back in and she never made another sound. Just ticked I ran by her and didn't even say hi. She hasn't forgot me. We will be running dogs this weekend while I am up there so I am in hopes that the weather is good and I can get some pics and video of her. If I can, I will post them when I get back.

Joe

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Joe,

Wishing you good luck in your pups endeavors. :D

Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Good luck Joe, Can't wait to see her run!!!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 am

jcbuttry8 wrote: I keep hearing how my next will be somewhat disappointing. Had a couple of people so far shocked I got this kind of skill first time out. I can't wait to hear how she does up north. Joe
Don't worry Joe I'll send you another good one. :lol:

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:29 am

No problem tommyboy, but Jess gets the next shot. Hoping it will be a dandy.

Joe

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 am

Got one coming from Jess myself. Hope she will be good as well.

ThePope

Post by ThePope » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 pm

JC
No Harm intended .... Yes let the dog be the best it can be .... Best Wishes and success to the both of ya !

back under my rock

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Oh Joe! I can relate! Blaze has been with Pete since April, Chloe went back 2 weeks ago, and Forrest went to Jeanette this past Monday...and NoJenny is with a show handler (but only for the week...she'll be home on Sunday).

I'm down to 3 dogs in the house and it's QUIET!

Hope the family forgives you soon!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:08 pm

No worries pope. my skin is thick enough to handle the jabbing. Hence, the love comment. Thought I'd throw one back atcha.

Karen,
Don't know how you do three. One right now is plenty for me to ship off. The next prospect for us should be around in October/November. I am looking forward with another pup to play with. Good luck with your dogs. I don't know that I will be doing alot of AKC with Kona this season but will definitely be at the club riding some of the stakes. Can't wait to see how them dogs turn out this year. we had alot of good puppies and derbies last year so, can't wait to see how they turn out in the broke stakes. Will catch up with you soon.

Are you going to the party next weekend?

Joe

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Joe,

You can swing by and grab Gunny! You already know what a weirdo he is!
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:05 pm

good luck!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 pm

jmsgunner wrote:Joe,

heck yeah I will swing by and get him. I will take him and run him at the club. put him on some quail and pigeons. Just let me know when I can get him.

Joe

ThePope

Post by ThePope » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:23 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:No worries pope. my skin is thick enough to handle the jabbing. Hence, the love comment. Thought I'd throw one back atcha.

Karen,
Don't know how you do three. One right now is plenty for me to ship off. The next prospect for us should be around in October/November. I am looking forward with another pup to play with. Good luck with your dogs. I don't know that I will be doing alot of AKC with Kona this season but will definitely be at the club riding some of the stakes. Can't wait to see how them dogs turn out this year. we had alot of good puppies and derbies last year so, can't wait to see how they turn out in the broke stakes. Will catch up with you soon.

Joe

Love felt ,
Success !

If you feel it the dog does as well

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 am

jcbuttry8 wrote:
jmsgunner wrote:Joe,

heck yeah I will swing by and get him. I will take him and run him at the club. put him on some quail and pigeons. Just let me know when I can get him.

Joe

Whenever you want! Be careful though, little girls are known to fall in love with him. Whenever I was driving down to see the man and he had his 9yo, she'd ask about the dog not about me! LOL
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:45 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:No worries pope. my skin is thick enough to handle the jabbing. Hence, the love comment. Thought I'd throw one back atcha.

Karen,

Joe
No party for me....we're dog-showing it this summer with the dogs that are still at home.

As for having 3 out at once...OUCH!!! Yeah, it hurts, but Chloe was on such a roll last season, she HAD to get in shape for nationals, Blaze was BAD last season and needed fixing, and it was time for Forrest to go. You have to remember we have 7 dogs, so other than the financial aspect of having 3 out with trainers, we still have plenty of dogs at home :-)
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit