Essential stuff

Scott Linden

Essential stuff

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 pm

As many of you know, I've got the definitive gear list (thanks to input from you all, among others) here: http://scottlindenoutdoors.com/ultimate ... -download/

It's free and I invite you to download it any time. But for my book, I'm also compiling a list of essential gear for new dog owners/trainers ... the stuff you must absolutely, positively, must have to train a dog right. I'll probably arrange it by life stage: pup, adolescent and adult dog and so far here it is:

Early days:

- Sleeping/travel crate and bedding (small, or large with dividers to shrink the interior when the pup is small).
- Chew toys (so far, the only virtually indestructible brand I’ve seen is “Goughnut,” available at www.goughnuts.com.)
- Hands-free/over-the-shoulder lead
- Tie-out stake
- Collar
- Whistle & lanyard
- Training books or videos
- Pooper scooper
- Checkcord, various lengths
- Food & water bowls
- Grooming tools: brush, nail clipper, etc.
- First aid and field care items

Adolescence:

- Training pistol (blanks)
- Electronic training collar
- Birds & carrier/box
- Bota or other water carrier
- Vest, bag or other convenient way to carry gear
- Retrieving bumpers/dummies, bucks
- Training (“whoa”) table

Young adult:

- Shotgun and blank ammo
- Bird launchers
- More birds

What would YOU add?
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

SetterNut

Re: Essential stuff

Post by SetterNut » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:48 pm

For a satety I add a Garmin Astro. (it also helps in finding your dog on point at a distance)
Steve

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 pm

• Membership in a NAVHDA-type organization
• A place secured to do bird work and field work (not always an easy thing for those who don't own land)
• Did you mention the Scott Linden Real Bird Bumper? :D

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:59 pm

A Horse :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Out of all those essentials listed I'll bet more dogs have been trained without mosyt of them rather than with. Just as a case in point without pointing at any one item, a Garmin a rather new type tracker with probably less than 5% of dogs ever having one on. A horse, most dogs have never seen one. Different length CC nice but you would be lucky to find any amatuer trainer with more than one. A First Aid kit is nice and everyone should think about getting one but most dogs that are just hunted around home probably will never see one. I never had a blank pistol till I was about through training dogs, same with an e-collar, and still don't have a whoa training table.

There is a difference between essentials and tools that are nice to have. Essentials are pretty far and few between while nice to have items makes the job easier but many are awfully expensive for the one dog owner. I do admit that over the years a lot of nice to have tools have jumped into the essential bin by many younger trainers. Having more time than money haschanged greatly and brought with it a whole new look to essential tools in many peoples eyes.

Scott, it would be my suggestion to re label your list and not call it essentials as the list is way to broad to be that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:16 pm

I agree with Ezzy. I've had all the items listed, and probably half or more just collected dust. They are nice to have when you want them, but as far as need goes, I say there are only two *essential* items: birds, and a place where the dog can stretch out to find them.

Aline
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:37 am

Even as an Astro user and ..."it'll never happen to me", I suggest you carry photos of all your dogs in the dogbox.
In the event of a lost dog, a photo shown to locals, who are likely not dog people, will work better than the best verbal description and may help jog a memory.

Recent health records are also a good idea when away from home and would appear obvious.

If you want an "essential" on a birddog show....I would add host and guests who chatter less.

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 am

I think you need to have a different list...depending on what the expected outcome of the dog is? Are we looking for a dog, at the end of the process, a highly trained dog that competes in any of the testing/competition venues at a high level? Or, a drop the tailgate and go hunting dog.
Dan

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 am

I think you guys are being a little dishonest here. Although you may be able to come up with a suitable substitute, you do need the capability provided by most of the items listed. The fact that you can use a REAL gun instead of a blank gun does not exclude that need from the list assuming someone is starting with nothing.

He might have been better off including exactly what each item is "essential" for in the training process to avoid the nit-picky criticism, but the list is pretty realistic if you think in terms of function.

I would probably move the Whistle/Lanyard to the Adolesence group but as inexpensive as they are, why not buy one up front.

Plus, I am curious what you guys use in place of a Collar, Checkcord, Lead, Food and Water bowls, etc.

People are constantly asking what they will need in order to train their new dog and I don't see why you all think this post is so out of line... :?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:48 am

Kmack wrote:I think you guys are being a little dishonest here. Although you may be able to come up with a suitable substitute, you do need the capability provided by most of the items listed. The fact that you can use a REAL gun instead of a blank gun does not exclude that need from the list assuming someone is starting with nothing.

He might have been better off including exactly what each item is "essential" for in the training process to avoid the nit-picky criticism, but the list is pretty realistic if you think in terms of function.

I would probably move the Whistle/Lanyard to the Adolesence group but as inexpensive as they are, why not buy one up front.

Plus, I am curious what you guys use in place of a Collar, Checkcord, Lead, Food and Water bowls, etc.

People are constantly asking what they will need in order to train their new dog and I don't see why you all think this post is so out of line... :?
I have read the whole thing and find nothing out of line. I just said many of the items listed are not essential and I stick by that. If you turned your set on and saw a show telling you that you had to have a horse, Garmin, and many of the other items listed you would be turned off of ever having a dog. Those are not essential as probably everyone of us knows because none of us had all of that stuff when we started and many of us still don't.

I have trouble understanding when someone asks for opinions, why so many get upset if you make any form of a critizim. Have we gotten to the place where honest opinions hurt someone's feeling so bad we can no longer be honest. I sure hope not but it sure makes me wonder. If you don't want everyones help just don't ask for it and for heavens sake realize people are being helpful by offering their opinion even when it is not complimentary. If all you want are "yes" men just don't ask for honesty from a group of people.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:17 am

ezzy333 wrote: I have read the whole thing and find nothing out of line. I just said many of the items listed are not essential and I stick by that. If you turned your set on and saw a show telling you that you had to have a horse, Garmin, and many of the other items listed you would be turned off of ever having a dog. Those are not essential as probably everyone of us knows because none of us had all of that stuff when we started and many of us still don't.

I have trouble understanding when someone asks for opinions, why so many get upset if you make any form of a critizim. Have we gotten to the place where honest opinions hurt someone's feeling so bad we can no longer be honest. I sure hope not but it sure makes me wonder. If you don't want everyones help just don't ask for it and for heavens sake realize people are being helpful by offering their opinion even when it is not complimentary. If all you want are "yes" men just don't ask for honesty from a group of people.

Ezzy
Ezzy, I agree that a horse and a garmin would not be on an essentials list, and they also were not on the list as posted by the OP. Where I see you adding to confusion is when you say things like a blank gun is not required. Although this is literally true, rather than saying because you can substitute something else it is not essential your response seems to imply that introduction to the gunshot is not an essential part of gundog training.

A more constructive way to add to the original question would be to explain what can be used in place of the items listed for those who might already have something else rather than state that "my suggestion to re label your list and not call it essentials as the list is way to broad to be that".

To me, that seems to imply a percieved total lack of validity to the entire premise behind the original post.

From where I sit, it seemed like the majority of posts were more interested in criticizing than in contributing and I just don't see there to be that much wrong with the original post.

Like you said, we all need to post what we think and accept the critique of others without taking it personally.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:53 am

Scott -

Depending on how, when and where one trains, I would add Tick repellent or prevention for both canine and human, probably in the early section.

Also, for puppy training aids, I think small portable doggie treats are sometimes indispensable. As we all know...bribery works. :lol:

RayG

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:24 am

I don't think we are being nit-picky--at least that is not the intent. I would think (hope) that any new dog owner would know that at the least, every dog needs food, water, and shelter. By calling all of the other items 'essential,' some prospective new gun dog owners might be frightened off by the shear expense. As Ezzy pointed out, many/most of these items will make training easier, but they are not 'essential.' A lot of people, including myself, trained their first gun dog with nothing more than an old shotgun (blanks? what are those?) and birds whenever, wherever they could find them. No e-collar, no check chord, no whoa table, etc. Heck, I still don't use a whoa table and likely never will as long as I have a tailgate. 'Whoa' is nothing more than a 'stand/stay' that can be taught in the backyard--on the ground-- without so much as a leash or collar. A lot of weekend hunters still do it this way and are more than pleased with the results.

What is essential for one owner/trainer maybe frivolous for another. For example, I personally can't stand those over the shoulder leashes. They are too long and heavy and I catch everything on them from my transmitter to my hair :roll: I just stick a short thin lead in my pocket. I also don't use shotgun blanks. If I carry a shotgun, I want the dog to know that there is a *chance* the bird might die. And by adulthood, I would hope one would be killing birds for his dog.

I would remove the word 'essential' and replace it with 'suggested.' Then you could add the two other items that are *essential* for folks like me:---- a garmin and a horse :D

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Last edited by zzweims on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:12 am

ezzy333 wrote:Out of all those essentials listed I'll bet more dogs have been trained without mosyt of them rather than with. Just as a case in point without pointing at any one item, a Garmin a rather new type tracker with probably less than 5% of dogs ever having one on. A horse, most dogs have never seen one. Different length CC nice but you would be lucky to find any amatuer trainer with more than one. A First Aid kit is nice and everyone should think about getting one but most dogs that are just hunted around home probably will never see one. I never had a blank pistol till I was about through training dogs, same with an e-collar, and still don't have a whoa training table.

There is a difference between essentials and tools that are nice to have. Essentials are pretty far and few between while nice to have items makes the job easier but many are awfully expensive for the one dog owner. I do admit that over the years a lot of nice to have tools have jumped into the essential bin by many younger trainers. Having more time than money haschanged greatly and brought with it a whole new look to essential tools in many peoples eyes.

Scott, it would be my suggestion to re label your list and not call it essentials as the list is way to broad to be that.

Ezzy
Yep, and I can start a fire with two sticks but I don't

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Don't forget the back-pack to put all your essentials in :lol:

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:14 pm

cjuve wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Out of all those essentials listed I'll bet more dogs have been trained without mosyt of them rather than with. Just as a case in point without pointing at any one item, a Garmin a rather new type tracker with probably less than 5% of dogs ever having one on. A horse, most dogs have never seen one. Different length CC nice but you would be lucky to find any amatuer trainer with more than one. A First Aid kit is nice and everyone should think about getting
Yep, and I can start a fire with two sticks but I don't
:lol:
That's funny! Great analogy.

Doug

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:23 pm

taxidermy wrote:Don't forget the back-pack to put all your essentials in :lol:
I guess where I get in trouble is I don't understand what essential means today. I grew up when essential meant something you COULD NOT do without. Not things that made it easier but things you had to have to do the job.

And I probably haven't changed as fast as most of you because I still weigh most of my decisions by how much does it cost. I don't think I am what you would call really tight with my money but I have never had any extra after buying the essentials plus knowing I have to be able to cover the costs that getting older brings to many of us. This is what bothers me when I hear so many on here talk about the price of a pup not being important, or the cost of a shotguns, hunting clothes & boots, and all of the training equipment some of you have and need.

One of my goals in life is to keep the cost of owning a dog and being able to hunt at a level where a young family with kids can still afford the to be part of it while the kids are young so they can grow up loving it as much as I have. The only way I got my first Britt is because someone gave it to me. And from there I leased a kennel and started boarding and training as a way to afford the equipment I NEEDED and also as a way to provide responsibilities for my boys that kept them involved and off of the streets.

I know, thats all in the past and has nothing to do with modern way thinking and doing, for today if something comes out new or someone else has something, it means we have to have it too. Even if it comes before setting aside enough to keep us comfortable in our older years or paying our own bills for schooling and medical and senior care.

Essential means what do you have to have and how much do I have to spend to get it. At least it does for some of us fuddy duddies.

Ezzy

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:02 pm

A back pack won't hold my stuff, I need a truck :D

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:36 pm

SCT wrote:

You guys are pikers. I now I need a 3/4 ton crew cab and a 3 horse trailer for the stuff I HAVE to have with me. The rest I leave home.

Amazingly, there was a time when I got by with a lead, a shotgun a hunting vest and shoeleather. My hunting vehicle back then was a 4 door sedan with plastic on the back seat. :lol: :lol:

RayG

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 pm

stuff you must absolutely, positively, must have to train a dog right.
I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks, but I believe pretty firmly that the only thing you absolutely have to have to train a dog is a dog and birds. I mean, if turn a dog loose on wild birds enough he's going to become an experienced hunter. The only thing a birddog "needs" to know, in my opinion, is to come when called or to change directions. Heel, Whoa, etc are nice, but not absolutely necessary. To have a dog that can live in your house you may need to teach them No and to walk on a lead, etc, but not to run birds.

Everyone today thinks you HAVE to have an eCollar. I'm not saying it can't make training go a whole lot smoother often times, but it's not a necessity. Fifty years ago they trained dogs and I don't believe they had quarter-mile check cords. When I bought my first birddog I was 16 and didn't have a dollar's worth of change in my pocket. I got to training and put a lot of work into my dog. Then I started getting online and talking to people and they all told me I needed an eCollar. I stopped training because I believed you couldn't train a dog without an eCollar. My dog would recall, Heel, Whoa, point, etc, but I thought it was all generic because I didn't have that collar. I wish I could go back and talk to my sixteen-year-old self.They're nice, but not necessary.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:04 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
SCT wrote:

You guys are pikers. I now I need a 3/4 ton crew cab and a 3 horse trailer for the stuff I HAVE to have with me. The rest I leave home.

Amazingly, there was a time when I got by with a lead, a shotgun a hunting vest and shoeleather. My hunting vehicle back then was a 4 door sedan with plastic on the back seat. :lol: :lol:

RayG
Sounds like what I had and was happy to have it.

Ezzy

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:14 pm

SpinoneIllinois wrote: • Did you mention the Scott Linden Real Bird Bumper? :D
Did now! Check is in the mail.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Considering the responses, you may want to add a set of crystal stems.......
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:22 pm

OK Scott, I give up.

Go ahead and re-write the whole thing but instead of listing the non-essential item, list the training activity for which the item is used.
Then, after each one write "essential training aid = whatever the heck kind of duct tape/bailing wire rig you can find for free".

Seems to me that's the consensus as to what all of the newbies are looking to hear.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Kmack wrote:OK Scott, I give up.

Go ahead and re-write the whole thing but instead of listing the non-essential item, list the training activity for which the item is used.
Then, after each one write "essential training aid = whatever the heck kind of duct tape/bailing wire rig you can find for free".

Seems to me that's the consensus as to what all of the newbies are looking to hear.

Would be great if they are but I kind of doubt if all are.

Ezzy

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:11 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Kmack wrote:OK Scott, I give up.

Would be great if they are but I kind of doubt if all are.

Ezzy
Truth is, if you know the details of how to get there, most everything required can be put together on the cheap.

It might be tougher for someone that doesn't know the process and/or how to use the tools to begin with.

Might be an entertaining thread to list all of the essential training needed to make a bird dog then rank the various methods/devices for each using poll results.

It would surely lead to some enthusiastic debate... :lol:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:06 pm

I think I have about 1/3 of the stuff on that original list and use even less but then us Scots have got a reputation for being stingy ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Luminary Setters

Essential stuff

Post by Luminary Setters » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:30 pm

"Commitment" is an essential.

It doesn't matter how big the tool box, the job doesn't get done if you don't use the tools. And you don't need a big box to be a good trainer.
Hunter Payne