Your choice of footware in the field.

12 Volt Man

Your choice of footware in the field.

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:59 pm

What do you guys wear for shoes/boots in the field? Let's say warm weather and cold weather seperate. Looking for ideas so I can get a set of bought and broke in.

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:18 am

I like both Rocky's and Georgia Boots.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:11 pm

Nothing I've found beats chippewa. I put over a hundred long hard days on each of two pairs of Chippewa Snake boots last year, and I'll wear the same two pairs on alternate days this year about twice as much. Clean them up once every few weeks and spray them with Thompson's again and they even remain waterproof inspite of thousands of holes in the outershell from the cacti around here! CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:31 am

WildRose wrote:Nothing I've found beats chippewa. I put over a hundred long hard days on each of two pairs of Chippewa Snake boots last year, and I'll wear the same two pairs on alternate days this year about twice as much. Clean them up once every few weeks and spray them with Thompson's again and they even remain waterproof inspite of thousands of holes in the outershell from the cacti around here! CR
Have you ever got bitten by a snake while you had them on?

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:27 pm

Wildrose,
My apologies for being uneducated on this. You said that you spray your boots with Thompson's every once in a while. Are you talking the regular Thompson's Water Seal that you use on wood? or is there another Thompson's product for boots?

raven

Post by raven » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:36 pm

I use good ol' Lacross Burlys love'm

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:24 am

I've been hit by snakes wearing the Chippewa and no problem. My rockly slip on's that I wear for general work around here all the time I have not. I'm not willing to "test" them with one of the snakes I have in the cage either... at least not wearing them.

Yes Tompson's waterseal just like you can use for wood, concrete, or other building materials works great on leather and canvass. If you actually read the label it's recomended for leather specifically.

One huge advantage I've found in using it on my hunting clothes is that it not only makes them water repellant, it also makes them more resistant to snags and tears as the silicone creates a surface with less friction.

As for the chippewa's they are the very best boots I've ever worn as far as the ideal level of protection combined with ideal comfort. Both piars took less than a half days wearing to break in comfortably, and no more than a couple of days to form fit to my calves.

Best 185.00 dollars a pair I've ever spent on boots. Heck even the lace up's I wear once treated with thompson's and then simply cleaned and retreated every few weeks remain very water/ice/snow proof inspite of all the cactus spines (sometimes literally hundreds) I pull out each day. CR

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:05 pm

Do you apply tompsons with a brush or do you pour it on? Or is their another way to keep from spilling it?

macstartan

Post by macstartan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:14 pm

Filson "Might as well have the Best" Thats all i wear year round . Winter heavy wool sock if its really cold i use a silk liner , summer a cotton sock. For my money Filson EXPENSIVE maybe but the are WIRTH EVERY PENNY.
Mac

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:59 pm

I`m an Ecco fan. But I like a light weight Gore-Tex boot. They are pricey, but comfortable.
brenda

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:29 pm

Rocky used to make good stuff. now they are made over seas somewhere and i think the quality has gone down. (My first pair of cornstalkers lasted 3 years - my 2nd 3rd and 4th lasted only months.
Chippewa’s are too heavy
never had any filson boots so I cant comment
stay away from Danner (they break along the soles if you don’t get the stitched on soles)

Look at Cabelas - anything they stamp their name on especially the "outfitter series" is worth it.
These are my next boots from cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... DAV=search

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:43 am

Something else, CAUTION: Do not buy WalMart Herman Survivors, you will pay.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:19 pm

Since snakes aren't much of a problem in Illinois and the harshest things we go up against are cold water and a tight budget, can anyone recommend some boots that don't cost more than... say... $75?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

macstartan

Post by macstartan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:18 pm

GrouseHunter22 wrote:Something else, CAUTION: Do not buy WalMart Herman Survivors, you will pay.
G H 22
I had a pair of Survivers years ago even back then the were wally world quality!
Mac

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:54 am

decoy,
is that a hint on what you want for your birthday?? ;)
i have some guide gear boots from cabela's that i got for christmas one year that are great. stiff, but they really broke in pretty quickly once i stood in a puddle for 10 minutes and then walked them dry. i just got some le chameau gore tex leather and canvas slip on tall boots this summer (so i could ride in them too). they are awesome, and i love them. haven't tested them out in the cold yet, but they are waterproof so far. they were on sale for about $150 when i got them at: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp ... roduct.htm
the site is hit and miss, but you can find some real bargains there most of the time. i would check sierra trading post and maybe sportsman's guide. cabela's, of course, has tons of different boots at a range of prices.

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:04 pm

LaCross!

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:28 am

On a tight budget Rocky's are resonable especially if you aren't going to wear them over a hundred full days a year. They just don't seem to hold up as well as some of the others for the year round day in/day out use as some of the more expensive boots.

Sorry to be slow on the Thompson's reply, they make it now in a spray can, or you can just brush it on. Either way it works! CR

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:31 am

Hermans now are far from what they used to be, the longest lasting boot I ever owned was a pair of the original Survivors. I bought them in 87 and finally retired them in 98. That was hunting well over 150 days between deer, bird and small game. They sure are not that kind of quality now but do not cost what they used to either.

I have resigned myself to never spend big bucks on boots again period. From the Chippewa that Charlie likes to Rockys and all other brands I have not had a pair last me over two years since the Hermans I mentioned. I spend over 300 days a year in the field bewteen training, trialing and hunting and to spend 300 or even 200 bucks on a pair is simply a waste of my money. Last year I bought two pairs of the Wolverine 8" Whitetail boots on sale, $59.95. They are a 200 gram Thinsulate which is perfect for most bird hunting conditions and they are truly waterproof, I cant say that for the 280 buck Rockys I bought the year before. They are very light and have held up so far as well as I can expect, at least as well as boots I have spent FAR more money for.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:03 am

I picked up a pair of Brahma's today from the good ol' Wally-world. They've got 200 gram Thinsulate and are waterproof.

I also picked up a can of Camp Dry spray just to make sure. My new tent needs a good coating of the stuff anyway.

The boots cost me $23 on sale. If they last me one season then they're a better value than a $250 pair that may only last five. They were also a lot more comfortable than some of the others I've tried on lately.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux