Coyotes and Birddogs.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Coyotes and Birddogs.

Post by slistoe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:00 pm

That being said, we learned from family who lived up in the Rockies in Alberta that you simply DON'T leave your pets out unattended at dawn or dusk, or you won't have them around for very long. They have bears & mountain lions to contend with up there...
The cougars have been taking dogs from yards in the acreage developments outside the city of Calgary.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:51 pm

slistoe wrote:

That being said, we learned from family who lived up in the Rockies in Alberta that you simply DON'T leave your pets out unattended at dawn or dusk, or you won't have them around for very long. They have bears & mountain lions to contend with up there...
The cougars have been taking dogs from yards in the acreage developments outside the city of Calgary.
Not surprise; the relatives lived in Canmore, AB.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:45 am

Stoneface wrote:Virtually all of America has coyotes and I've certainly heard or seen them when I've been out with dogs. There's plenty of them out where I train but they usually don't bother me or the dogs and do well to stay out of site. Today, though, I heard them howling in the trees about 60 yards away and then saw one at about 40 yards. She wasn't coming at us, but she wasn't definately a little interested. She was a juvenile so I'm thinking her cuiosity may have just got the best of her. I wound up getting in the pickup and chasing her back into the trees.

Anybody ever have trouble with coyotes on their dogs? You hear stories about wolves and big cats, but I've never heard anything about coyotes.
I've never had any close "Run-In's" with yotes... I seen one just the other day when I was running my FRB bitch. It was headed West at a good lope looking back over its shoulder at us. I generally never run dogs without my trusty single action .22 pistol holstered on my hip with CCI Mini Mags. I bought it specifically for that application. Its seen use on snakes, skunks, worthless PR quail that flew directly from a launcher to the nearest tree branch out of reach, etc.... but thankfully no larger more aggressive threats. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"