Just Finished Sport Basic Holster.

Stoneface

Just Finished Sport Basic Holster.

Post by Stoneface » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Just finished this and I was real happy with how it came out. Made me wonder if anyone else on here makes their own equipment messes with leather at all? This one's going to a hogger down in Texas.

www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

JoshHaker

Re: Just Finished Sport Basic Holster.

Post by JoshHaker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Dang nice job! I have the larger tritronics transmitter and would love to have something like that.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:53 pm

I suspect that one day your transmitter will be missing. In and out thru the bottom like that is a problem waiting to happen.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:56 pm

I don't see what you mean, Don. The snap hooks to your belt loop and the transmitter is hanging upside down. There's a good 1", 10/12 ouce, heavy latigo strap that supports the collar and keeps it from slipping out.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 pm

I luv leather work. Do you do other stuff too? I've seen sum real cool knife shealths

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Yeah, am just doing it part-time for now and have kept it only to dog stuff. Holsters, collars, leads and one harness. I did a pair of collars for a Astro DC40. That was a neat experience. It just takes so long to do by hand it's hard to believe. This holster took me four hours without a break, and I was HUSTLIN'! Just a collar takes me a long while. When I get the means I'm going to invest in some time-saving equipment and supplies and will ramp up to try and make a little more money off of it.

Here are some more photos.

The DC40s.

This slip lead went to Mo.

This one went to Jonesy.

This guy wanted two D-rings.

------------------------------------------------

What's neat about this last one is the braid is endless, meaning there is no start or end to the braid. Both ends are "closed" and it's made from one, solid piece of leather. It's called a mystery braid.

www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Very nice leather work :!:

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:43 pm

You do some nice work, there, Stoneface. Hope you can make a go of it.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm glad i asked !! thats sweet stuff man. i may hit ya up for a lead the endless one is realy cool they all are but thats my favorite

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Stoneface wrote:Just finished this and I was real happy with how it came out. Made me wonder if anyone else on here makes their own equipment messes with leather at all? This one's going to a hogger down in Texas.

Doesn't the transmitter go in from the bottom? Maybe I'm looking at the back? If it goes in from the bottom and held in with a strap it's just a matter of time till the snap gives and transmitter falls out. If it does slide in from the top and I'm looking at the back, why did you make it go in upside down?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:15 pm

I was going to head out to train the dogs one day and decided I was sick of carrying my transmitter around in my pocket (the lanyard wore out a long time ago). So, I decided to rig a holster before heading out. I made it hang upside down from my belt loop so when I rach down to grab it, it fits right into my hand like it would if I was getting ready to use it. Take a look at this video and you'll see what I mean.

Also, when I do hold it upright to use it, it won't slide out because of the way it's formed. You can't tell form the photos, but it tapers ot the opening. I mean, it's a chore to get it in there. When it's in, it's really in. And it's a lot deeper than the transmitter is long, probably by about a good three inches.

Keep in mind, this "prototype" was not mean to for looks. I didn't take any of the cautions to make it look good because I was just making it for myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB8oOLU4 ... ature=plcp
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Good looking work Stoneface!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Nice work! I have one from TT similar to that and it hangs upside down like yours. It is really user friendly that way, at least for me.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 am

Well that probably will work. Didn't know the top was open. I just stick the trasnmitter's in my back pocket. Never saw a belt one I liked. The thing that came with my last collar wasn't worth carrying home. Transmitter un-hooked itself in a poarking lot in town, 35 mi away! Didn't notice it gone till I got home. Called every store I went to and someone turned it in at the Bi Mart. I gather you never take it out of the carrier to use it? Either that or un-hook from your belt loop?

If it's the berlt loop, I make my own leashs out of 3/8th tight woven rope. I carry them hooked to my belt loop. Good place to carry things.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 am

What's up with the negetivity Don?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 am

DonF wrote: Called every store I went to and someone turned it in at the Bi Mart.
Did not know you swung like that. :lol: :oops:

That leather work is great, probably would sell good in Dons Bi Mart. :lol:

Sorry if I offended anyone. but....
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:31 am

Ruffshooter wrote:
DonF wrote: Called every store I went to and someone turned it in at the Bi Mart.
Did not know you swung like that. :lol: :oops:

That leather work is great, probably would sell good in Dons Bi Mart. :lol:

Sorry if I offended anyone. but....
LOL!

Very nice leather work! I kinda remember doing some in JR High but that was many years ago and nothing as fancy of course!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Stoneface wrote:...I did a pair of collars for a Astro DC40. That was a neat experience. It just takes so long to do by hand it's hard to believe...
Stoneface I really like your leads.

Just an FWIW if you want to market the tracker collar...from someone who uses the tracker, I would not use a leather collar on it for a couple reasons...1. don't want to add more weight/thickness 2. leather holds "some"dirt and moisture 3. you can get the nylon replacement ones cheap 4. nylon are easy to wipe clean. Hard to compete...but yours do look purdy! :)

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Nice work!

I have the same Sport Basic model. If you're worried about it slipping out of the holster, there's a recessed lanyard loop on the bottom of the handheld. You could get a .99 cent camera lanyard/wrist strap off of ebay or make your own. I just checked also, and a skinny zip tie will fit through the loop as well. Loop it through the handheld and loop/weave it through the holster. Now if the belt/vest loop you hooked the holster too falls off or sasquatch clubs you and swipes it...then you're plum out of luck. :D

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Does anyone else here do any craftwork or mess with leather at al? I know Don makes some insane wood pieces, from furniture to pretty incredible picture frames. This is my favorite piece by him.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 8231_n.jpg

Don, when it's in the case, it stays in the case. I made the one in the video just a couple months ago and it hasn't come out until yesterday when I had to take the holster apart to trace out lines to cut the new holster. I made the new holster a little more snug so it takes some doing to get it in there, then the screws are treated with Loctite and the whle piece is hardened to retain it's shap and not be flimsy. Not much chance this thing's going anywher. I carry my electronics - transmitter, eCollar, launcher transmitter, etc - in a mini tool box. When I take it out, it goes right on the belt loop. The only downfall to having it on my belt loop is in the rare case that I do use it to reinforce Whoa, I hold the stimulation while I pick the dog up and replace him. With it on my belt loop that's hard to do. I have thought about fixing a blaze orange strip of material, about two foot long, to the transmitter in case somethign happens.

Rook, thanks. The leads are more of a pleasure to make (I even charge less for most because I enjoy making them) because they're a little simpler, you can get creative with all that letter and they can look so sharp when you're done. I had a guy order 20 slip leads made like the one above except it was 1/2" instead of 1". Those are made in three segmens. You cut three strips of leather then twist them together and rivet them together at the ends. They are really easy to look at, but it probably takes a good four hours to make each of them.

Thanks for the heads up on the DC40s, too. I wish you would have been around about a year ago to talk me out of it! The guy dropped me a line out of the blue wanting a pair made so he shipped them off to me and I got to work on them. I actually priced them really low because when you hold a DC40 it seems pretty simple, not to mention the guy asked for a basic design. I figured I'd knock it out in a few hours. Turns out the nylong collar itself is double ply and there's a wire running between the two plies, from one plastic piece to the other. When I cut it open (thank goodness I didn't cut the wire!) I just groaned!!! Wound up taking about two weeks of buying materials and trying this then trying that. Finally got it licked and they came out good, but I lost money on that deal. I don't plan on doing that again on the cheap, in the future the price will be bumped up.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 pm

wems2371 wrote:Now if the belt/vest loop you hooked the holster too falls off or sasquatch clubs you and swipes it...then you're plum out of luck. :D
Nice, Wems. I'm not too afriad of big ol', harry Sasquatch... I was raised by him and he is ever bit as ugly as they say on the Discovery Channel. :mrgreen:

I'm not worried about it falling out, what I'm worried about is my belt loop breaking. I went to put on my pants the other day and two loops were detached at one end. Cheap brand, I guess.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Dang, awesome work !!

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Here one of the holsters my wife is making for a pro with his logo on it and a tracker holster. She makes custom starter pistol holsters. She carves pictures of dogs and other items in the fronts of the holsters.

Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Hey Dan tell your wife I said that's some nice work,how much for a tracker holster?? I have done some leather work among other things but anymore I get cramps in my hands & fingers so bad it's hard to do.
Plus I don't have any leather laying around anymore not that I couldn't buy some but hard to get motivated when just as you get started cramps puts a halt to it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:52 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Good looking work Stoneface!
x2

Do you ship to Canada? :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Crestone, that's AWESOME. I hope you'll post a finished product when when that holster's finished.

Sharon, I ship anywhere your heart desires. I had a guy from Spain order a SportDOG unit and had me make a holster and carrying back for it. I couldn't believe how cheap the shipping was.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am

Stoneface, she is finishing holsters so here is a picture of one -

Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier