Best breed for me?

featherhead

Best breed for me?

Post by featherhead » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:03 pm

Ok, I'm pretty much new to bird hunting and I'm looking for some advice or opinions on the best dog to start with. I know this might be sacrilege around here but I'd really like a dog that can do birds first and foremost, but still do squirrel and rabbit hunting, and possibly some blood trailing. I'd probably like to go with a medium sized dog, I really love GSPs looks and what I've watched of them on youtube but I'm just not set up to house one right now (pluse the fiancee isn't too crazy about a dog that big). I'd also like it to be fairly easy to train, I've trained a couple of decent squirrel dogs before but it was mostly just basic obedience other dogs did most of the teaching. So fire away with the suggestions please.....

Also, this might be a crazy question, but I sort of inherited an American cocker from a roommate in college. He is probably about 4 years old, and has a few behavioral problems but is a really quick learner and a prey drive through the roof. Is it crazy to think that if I get his obedience issues under control that I could kill a few birds with him? He quarters somewhat when we're walking through fields and such, loves to chase birds (just the song birds and stuff, never encountered any upland stuff). I have no idea if he is field bred or bench bred but I'm assuming the latter, he is tough as nails though. Any thoughts?

SpinoneIllinois

Re: Best breed for me?

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:07 pm

I don't know if all brittanys will do this, but mine trees squirrels and barks up the tree until I drag her away. She also scares up rabbits and loves to give chase, but she's never steered one back to me, like a beagle will. And a brittany is on the small side of bird dogs.
As for the cocker, if it likes birds, I'm guessing it can probably flush some. It might not win any awards for style, but it might be able to put some birds in your vest. There's only one way to find out.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 pm

We have 2 Small Munsters and have a third on the way. Good all around dog. They are exceptional for tracking and will hunt whatever is put in front of them.
Most good V-dogs will do that for you. They range in size from 33-55 pounds male/female.

Find someone in your area that has one and go check one out.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:01 pm

almost any continental (which anything that is not an English pointer or Setter of some kind), at one point was intended to do fur. In europe most still do, for some reason we have a real disdain for hunting fur with most breed of dogs in the US. The DD (Deutsch Drahtar, don't know if that is spelled right) group are still into the fur, but most other breeds are not. You could possible find a German Wirehair breeder that has a little smaller dogs.

I think the Small Mun. could be a good possible fit.

I think almost any breed would do the rabbit especially, if you just allow them to. My Vizsla actually points rabbits just like birds, I like it.

good luck,
brandon

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 pm

SpinoneIllinois wrote:I don't know if all brittanys will do this, but mine trees squirrels and barks up the tree until I drag her away. She also scares up rabbits and loves to give chase, but she's never steered one back to me, like a beagle will. And a brittany is on the small side of bird dogs.
As for the cocker, if it likes birds, I'm guessing it can probably flush some. It might not win any awards for style, but it might be able to put some birds in your vest. There's only one way to find out.
Beagles don't steer the rabbits back to you. They are so slow the rabbit just decides to come back to where it was. They do that with any slow dog. Deer tend to do the same thing if they aren't pressured too much.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 pm

SpinoneIllinois wrote:I don't know if all brittanys will do this, but mine trees squirrels and barks up the tree until I drag her away. She also scares up rabbits and loves to give chase, but she's never steered one back to me, like a beagle will. And a brittany is on the small side of bird dogs.
Beagles don't steer the rabbits back to you. They are so slow the rabbit just decides to come back to where it was. They do that with any slow dog. Deer tend to do the same thing if they aren't pressured too much.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:07 am

You beat me to it Al. I was getting ready to say the same thing. It is just the rabbits instinct to run in a big circle if they are not being pressed to hard and fast and, as you say, deer have pretty much the same habit, other than the fact that they may run a bigger circle.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:29 am

Vizslas...tho the logic of the concept you desire eludes me.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:46 am

If that Am. Cocker has the prey drive you say it will work for both. I have seen a few in the cocker trials up here and they did pretty well. They are short working flushing dogs. So remember that. They are not pointing dogs.

Brittanies will do both, birds better than fur.IMO
SM will do both, fur better than birds. IMO
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

featherhead

Post by featherhead » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna check into the SM and try to go see one work, and I just found out about a friend of a friend with some brittanies.
As far as trainability goes, I've read that flushers are somewhat easier to train. Any truth to this? And which type would be better suited for fur, flusher or some of the versatiles?

On the Am. Cocker, I have my doubts about whether I can do it. He has some pretty serious quirks and he wasn't socialized properly, but I'm going to try anyway. Seems to learn small things fast, but I've been working with him and he can't get 'stay' down. He seems to be anxious and always has to be near the action. I've found some good books I'm going to get in the threads on here, any other pointers? Think he is just too far gone?

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:15 pm

I say stick with the cocker and learn with him. Once you both have the game somewhat figured out, then you can move on to another breed with confidence.

Aline
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Very few dogs are "too far gone", but not many folks have the knack for training that it may take. The dog needs to slowly learn patience. Before the dog can learn that the trainer needs to learn it. Most times we are in too much of a hurry to get results. Get some quail and plant them then take the Cocker out. If he gets more excited with each find and you would think he really wanted to eat them you will likely have enough in the dog to work with and make a gunning companion.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:31 am

[quote="featherhead"
He has some pretty serious quirks and he wasn't socialized properly, but I'm going to try anyway.found some good books I'm going Think he is just too far gone?[/quote]
Heck, I have some pretty serious quirks too, but I manage....
#1Agree with Slistoe.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick