What are the Pros/Cons of partnering up on a dog.

jcbuttry8

What are the Pros/Cons of partnering up on a dog.

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I know there are a few out there that are partnered on dogs. Just curious what you thought the pros vs. the cons were on getting a partner on a dog. I know that this might be more common amongst the trialers. So, I would like to hear your thoughts. Would you take a partner on a dog? and if so what would you expect if you currently own the dog?

Joe

gotpointers

Re: What are the Pros/Cons of partnering up on a dog.

Post by gotpointers » Fri May 11, 2012 6:34 am

What are the only ships that don't float? Partnerships.
All kidding aside if it furthers development and provides an opportunity that would not be available what other chioce is there.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri May 11, 2012 7:06 am

Joe -

Best way I know of to lose control of your own dog while still having to pay for it.

Also a good way to lose a friend if that friend becomes a partner and there is a disagreement.

If you do partner with someone...put EVERYTHING in writing, including and especially who pays for what and who has the final say on what. This way there are no misunderstandings and hard feelings down the road. If there is a pro involved, this is even more important.

Oh and if you are the senior partner(the one who actually owns the dog) make sure you keep the papers.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri May 11, 2012 8:09 am

There is nothing that could make me partner on a dog.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri May 11, 2012 8:13 am

I actually co-own a dog right now and couldn't be happier. Won the Missouri Open Shooting Dog Championship this year and it was Mike's(other co-owner)first Championship win. Pretty fun!

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 am

RayGubernat wrote:Joe -

Best way I know of to lose control of your own dog while still having to pay for it.

Also a good way to lose a friend if that friend becomes a partner and there is a disagreement.

If you do partner with someone...put EVERYTHING in writing, including and especially who pays for what and who has the final say on what. This way there are no misunderstandings and hard feelings down the road. If there is a pro involved, this is even more important.

Oh and if you are the senior partner(the one who actually owns the dog) make sure you keep the papers.

RayG
I can see the benefit.

Say you have a "once in a lifetime dog" but given the economy, and the related spousal unemployment, you can't get the dog out. Taking on a partner can get the dog out there. But it don't think it could be all roses, it could though.

But, yes, there would need to be a "plan".
Dan

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri May 11, 2012 8:57 am

Ray brings up some very relavent points. I would be cautious about what started out as enjoyment may turn into a headache. My fishing trips used to consist of a 12 pack, 2 fishing rods and a bucket of liver. Then turned into big bass boat, rv, 12 rods so i would not loose time rigging. I went from fishing three times a week to a couple trips a year. On my real estate deals i have never accepted a co-investor. I tough it out and the results are better in the end. Like Ray said no better way to ruin a friendship. I have several buddies that tried to split a flip, they all hate each other now.

I would do it, but my situation is diffrent. The loigistics and time are factors i could not overcome. All i can do in my situation is to get one of my pups in the hands of someone who can. I would rather provide the dog and the money and enjoy my family, my miller dogs and my miller beer.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri May 11, 2012 10:43 am

Let me be perfectly clear. I have nothing against partnerships. They can make possible things that either individual could not do alone.

However, if two folks have different ideas of what the responsibilities of the partnership are, there is going to be difficulty. If the partners have different goals for the dog and the partnership, there is going to be difficulty.

If one of the partners wants to take the dog to a local trial and run the dog themselves and the other partner wants to send the dog with their pro to compete somewhere else...how does that get resolved?

If one partner is on a budget that is maxing out and the other partner wants to send the dog to a major open championship, a thousand miles away with a $300 entry fee where the pro will be there for four days, perhaps more, how do you work that one out?

Clarity up front, is key.

RayG

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 pm

RayGubernat wrote: If one of the partners wants to take the dog to a local trial and run the dog themselves and the other partner wants to send the dog with their pro to compete somewhere else...how does that get resolved?

RayG
Or how about this one. One owner lives a quite distance from the other owner and the pro. And during the off season, said dog goes home with co-owner local to the pro. Long distance owner and pro don't want local owner hunting the dog...but they do, on the sly. This lack of consistency (manners during hunting) creates issues as a competition dog.

Then what?
Dan

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 pm

RayGubernat wrote:If you do partner with someone...put EVERYTHING in writing, including and especially who pays for what and who has the final say on what. This way there are no misunderstandings and hard feelings down the road.

RayG
For any partnership to work you must have alligned incentives. All too often self-interest is too strong a temptation for folks. To get what he/she wants, often partner one will attempt to manipulate partner two, often by omitting key information. If partner two avoids being manipulated, partner one may have hard feelings because he/she didn't get what they wanted. If partner two gets manipulated that creates ill will. Unfortunately that's human nature to too many people. To have a good agreement you need aligned goals & incentives. The agreement has to be as complete as possible to cover as many circumstances that may arise as possible. A method for resolving disputes would be helpful. With that being said some hand shake agreements have lasted for years & written agreements have been resolved in court. Partnerships are where you find out if the other person is really what they appear to be or if their true nature is hidden behind that public mask of salesmanship.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Another thought .. your reputation is in the hands of another person. Even if you follow the letter of the partnership agreement to a tee, if the other partner is unhappy about anything under the sun, few people resist the temptation to bad mouth you. The partner that bad mouths you may even have tried to pull a fast one on you, still your reputation may be harmed because you did have a relationship you can't deny. Each partner represents the partnership. Most people would prefer to just represent themselves rather than place their reputation in another's hands.

Me, I work at trying to "talk with" a person to their face, "not about them" to others behind their back, when they have no chance to defend themselves .... but I fear this is a minority position.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. There has been an offer but I wanted the opinions from the gallery. I feel that there are alot of great opinions given on this site and just wanted to know how the masses felt on the subject. I think my pup is still quite young to be making these kind of decisions yet. I don't believe that I should consider anything until the breaking process is complete and we see where she ends up. This may all be for nothing if she doesn't end up performing. As I am new to the whole trialing thing, I thought I would reach out. Again, thanks for the replies and opinions. Gives me plenty to think about in terms of a partnership.

Joe

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Fri May 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Have seen co-ownerships that have worked well, others that have gone really bad with nasty fights.
I co-own one of my dogs with her breeder. The agreement is verbal, no written contract, no monetary agreements were made. Her co-owner has had very little interest so other than what's on paper I consider her mine. Had thought I would never do it again then got talking to a pointer guy in the vet's office about costs, training, trialing, vet, etc. He has co-owned pointers for several years with another guy that pays all training and trialing expenses. The dogs live with him in the summer and hunting season and he gets them to the trainer/handler for trials. With a limited dog budget it did get me thinking but it would really have to be the right agreement with the right person.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sat May 12, 2012 6:28 am

A Wise Old Italian friend once told me........"Partners are for Dancing"
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

tn red

Post by tn red » Sat May 12, 2012 11:05 am

Partners work great as long as they're both realistic about the dogs real ability. I have had lots of partners on horses most work fine,if there becomes a problem one partner makes an offer & its buy or sell the animal & move on.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Sat May 12, 2012 3:44 pm

How does that line go? "I never lend out my gun, my dog, or my wife ... in that order." Patnership is about the same.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sat May 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Not a big fan of partnerships. I co-owned two dogs and partnered with my brother but neither on went that well. So, my opinion is stay AWAY from partnerships!

cc

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon May 14, 2012 6:22 am

The most successful partnerships I've seen are those between breeder and puppy buyer. It is more common in show lines where the dog can't be neutered or sold on limited registration in order to compete, but it can work well with field lines also. Generally, the puppy buyer/co-owner has full responsibility for the dog other than breeding. The breeder/co-owner steps in when it's time to breed the dog. It is a good way to insure the integrity of one's line.

Aline
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 am

My friend and neighbor is a rancher who enjoys hunting with a gsp.I enjoy hunting with his gsp. We plant and leave at least 25 acres of corn in numerous food plots on our lands, and we do it so that she(gsp) can do what she not only enjoys, but is driven to do. Needless to say, she gets to hunt every day that it is legal to hunt. My neighbor and I have only hunted together a handful of times in the 10 seasons she has been around. We hunt in different styles. I work a 40 hour job in town, and he is a full time rancher.He takes her on days that I work, and I take her every other day..She likes to point birds that are around. She likes to retrieve dead birds. All that she asks in return is that we take her out again tomorrow... Our partnership works well! :D

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 am

Just looked at the Purina Shooting Dog of the Year final results. 6 of the top 18 dogs are co-owned. Thought it was interesting.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon May 14, 2012 12:45 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:Just looked at the Purina Shooting Dog of the Year final results. 6 of the top 18 dogs are co-owned. Thought it was interesting.
Actually it is rather surprising that it was only six. Given the fact that it costs somewhere between ten and twenty grand to campaign a dog at that level for a year, and probably closer to twenty for the top tier dogs, I would have guessed there would be more partnerships.

RayG