Large GSP Problem

JHumes

Large GSP Problem

Post by JHumes » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:31 am

A have bought a male GSP from a breeder in Nebraska, and since then it has been 3 years. Many members might have seen my ads in the Dogs For Sale section, and for most of the training sessions I have more than enough difficulty controlling him and our cooperation is terrible. Many because he is around 85-90 lbs (mainly muscle and he is very tall), and is probally the most bullheaded dog that I have ever seen. If there any tips or suggestions on handling him or improving on the problems listed previously, they would be appriciated.
James -cell: 484-636-9938
-home:610-279-5110

Ghosted3

Re: Large GSP Problem

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:48 am

How much time do you get to spend time with the dog, and does he get the exercise that he needs? Have you asserted the role as the alpha male, because they need to know who the boss is or they will start to try to push you around and dont listen because they feel they are the alpha.

Corry

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:38 pm

I think at 3 years old, it depends what kind of history you have with him. A lot depends on how consistent you've been, both in demanding what you ask from him and putting in actual time.

Did you work with recalls, heeling, etc when he was young and of a manageable size...or is he now a large dog with a pup mentality? Is he having problems with the very basics or is it more advanced stuff? What does he know rock solid? How many days a week do you train? Since he's uncooperative, are you concentrating on yard work, or trying to do field work?

Being female and of a slighter build, I know what it's like to have a dog try to pull my arm out of the socket, especially in the field. If I were in you're position, I'd be doing only yard work to establish cooperation and a basis for learning, and I'd be using a pinch collar or wonderlead for control. Maybe even use a suitcase lead, if I had a jumping, rearing, want-to-bolt-in-every-direction problem. If I am checkcording a dog in a field, like on a launcher, I put a flank collar on them. A couple different folks gave me that tip, and it has worked terrific. I just take another nylon dog collar and fasten it around the dog's waste, attach the cc to that, and off we go.

As an edit: Is this the dog? It says he's was with a professional trainer at one point? If so, what did the trainer get done with him, and can you contact him/her to get some tips...since he/she would know your dog? :?:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=27401&p=248980#p248980
Last edited by wems2371 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Does the dog know "kennel?" Do you have an e-collar and know how to use it? I rarely encourage forxe training, but in your case, it might be beneficial.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Are you saying that this dog in the "For Sale: section?

How have you been responding to his behaviour thus far?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

reba

Post by reba » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:07 am

The size of the dog has nothing to do with training.......

A small dog can be just as hard.

Sounds like the dog has had your number from the go.

Three years old and some professional training??????

Suggestion: Three months at a professional trainers and not the one you have already used. Tell the trainer you need to be part of the training after the dogs starts comming around, because all the training in the world will be lost if you do not follow through.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 am

Get a professional to come in and help, the problem seems to be on the handlers side to.
The problem seems to have gotten out of hand a pro is the only selution for both of you.

Get help you are going to get frustrared and it WILL GET WORSE !

Good luck.

JHumes

Post by JHumes » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:54 am

Thank you for all the help and advice -James
James -cell: 484-636-9938
-home:610-279-5110

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Id say you and your dog need to step behind the woodshed and decide who is the boss...... I had a lab that was kind of the same. big as a horse and hardheaded as I was, some dogs need to know without a doubt who the alpha is, after 3yrs your dog has it pretty well figured out.

No offence intended, just outside looking in.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:03 pm

....and hardheaded as I was.....
hardheaded?

more likely the dog did not understand and could not perform correctly

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:40 pm

adogslife wrote:
....and hardheaded as I was.....
hardheaded?

more likely the dog did not understand and could not perform correctly
You could be right...... Or It might be true that we teach our dogs something every day, and once a dog has you buffaloed, you do what you have to. It sounds like after 3yrs this dog has its mind made up who is in charge. The best bet may be to sell the dog, but if he has to keep it for whatever reason it may be time to settle their differences. Im not saying it has to turn into an MMA fight, but some times clicker training and treats aren't the answer.....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 am

A have bought a male GSP from a breeder in Nebraska, and since then it has been 3 years. Many members might have seen my ads in the Dogs For Sale section, and for most of the training sessions I have more than enough difficulty controlling him and our cooperation is terrible. Many because he is around 85-90 lbs (mainly muscle and he is very tall), and is probally the most bullheaded dog that I have ever seen. If there any tips or suggestions on handling him or improving on the problems listed previously, they would be appriciated.
what are you training and what type of control do you need?

as any trainer will tell you, get the basics down first, if a dog does not perform correctly,go back one or two steps,progress in baby steps
3 years old is not too old
what is you training experience?

if you are using the ecollar to gain control you may be causing confusion

cooperation will improve once the dog begins to understand what you want