Garmin DC 40 Collar Question

Grange

Garmin DC 40 Collar Question

Post by Grange » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:07 pm

I was in a cover dog field trial this weekend and when I used it on with my setter on Friday morning it worked fine. Saturday Morning I let my father use it on one of his brittanies and I was able to turn the collar on fine and the beeping light told me it had a GPS signal. Somewhere between his first brittany running and the time he was going to use it with his second brittany the collar appears to have died. The light does not turn on whether I push the power button or connect it to the charger. The 220 handheld unit will not pick up the collar. The only thing I can think of is that when the first brittany was wearing it she ran into a log and that impact is what caused the collar to not work. I don't believe the collar hit the log directly, but I can't think of anything else that could have caused this problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I will be contacting Garmin tomorrow.

Elkhunter

Re: Garmin DC 40 Collar Question

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:10 pm

My collar was giving me issues, so I took it apart and found that 2 wires had become disconnected. So I reconnected them with some shrink tubing and now they are good to go.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:43 am

When hunting out of state I always carry an extra collar.

Had one go out on me last season and just switched to the backup and sent the defected one in for repairs. They replaced the old one for a new one at no charge and sent it back to me Generial Delivery at my location.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Not saying this is your issue, but one thing I noticed about the DC40 is that it won't charge if it's cold - somewhere around 40 degrees seems to be the cutoff point. I can plug them in and the light won't come on & start charging until they warm up to around 40 degrees.