Pigeon Question

sh0rthair

Pigeon Question

Post by sh0rthair » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 pm

How far can I move a pigeon coop, with them still homing back to the coop, at the new location?

V-John

Re: Pigeon Question

Post by V-John » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Are you talking across the yard or across town or to a different city?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 pm

That's a good question. I have thought about building a loft in the back of a pickup and carry them around with me. Probably have to mark the loft well to get them coming back. I think I would also stick to freals, birds who's homing instinct is not so intense. To train them to the truch I though I'd styart by moving it around the yard and see if I could get them to come bact to it even though it moved. I've never got around to trying it, probably never will but think of the advantage if it worked! Take the loft with you 1000 miles and the birds come to that loft! man that would be something! Hope you tell us how moving it works if you try it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

moonshinekennel

Post by moonshinekennel » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 am

Look at some of the roller pigeon sites. They often fly them in shows ect and have a kite loft that is portable. I personaly have not tried this but there are some postings and articles on the topic around.

Dale

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:00 am

The Army used trucks during the wars and kept movin it but I don't know how far.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

sh0rthair

Post by sh0rthair » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 pm

V-John wrote:Are you talking across the yard or across town or to a different city?
I'm talking 100 - 300 yards.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Roller pigeons can be kept in a kit box and moved. I have never trained dogs with them. I have re-homed young birds (homers) less than 1 year old that have flown at different lofts . What I did was keep them in a location with a flight pen so they can see for a few weeks on the trap so they can come and go with the bobs up, they can acclimate to the new location before I loft fly them, then road them. You can do the same and keep them in the new location <300 yards for a few weeks with a good flight cage so they can see around ,you should be ok.