Moving to Idaho

JonnyNC

Moving to Idaho

Post by JonnyNC » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Howdie folks,

I have been coming to the forum for a while now to read and learn as much as I can from you all, and I sure have learned a lot. This forum is a great resource for a wannabe bird dog trainer like myself, and the fact that you all share such valuable information freely says a lot about how friendly people in the gundog community are.

Well the reason I'm finally posting is that my fiance and I have decided to move to East Idaho this summer after we get hitched. It was actually her idea! When she brought it up I instantly had thoughts of my gsp and brittany being able to do what they were meant for. Not to mention all of the fishing, camping skiing etc. We'll only be able to stay for a year, but I plan on making it a year jampacked with outdoor pursuits.

Anyway, if anybody has any insights on moving to the Teton Valley area, Driggs, Victor, Tetonia etc. I would really appreciate it. I'm guessing mountain grouse opportunities will be plentiful but I am hoping to get my dogs onto chukars and huns also. I'm not asking for any specific info or where to hunt, just some idea about the general area and what I can expect. If it all works out as planned we'll be in the area by July and I'll be ready for bird season come fall. Thanks again for all the great info and I hope you all had a successful season.

bwjohn

Re: Moving to Idaho

Post by bwjohn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:56 pm

all of the above will be possible. look me up when you get out here, would be glad to help you out.

brandon

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Why only a year?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:39 am

That's my home stomping grounds! Lots of good bird hunting to be had. I go back there every Fall and have a great time. You'll love it! Shoot me a PM and let me know what your interests are and I'll do my best to tie you in with some folks. We'll see about that only being there a year thing :wink:
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

JonnyNC

Post by JonnyNC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:17 am

bwjohn wrote:all of the above will be possible. look me up when you get out here, would be glad to help you out.

brandon
Brandon, thanks a lot for the reply, I will definitely do that.
DonF wrote:Why only a year?
We've got pretty deep roots here in NC, so it would be tough to move away permanently. But trust me, I would if I could. I probably spend an hour + everyday on gdf drooling over the pictures and stories of folks who live in wild bird country.
Gertie wrote:That's my home stomping grounds! Lots of good bird hunting to be had. I go back there every Fall and have a great time. You'll love it! Shoot me a PM and let me know what your interests are and I'll do my best to tie you in with some folks. We'll see about that only being there a year thing :wink:
That's so great to hear! We are really looking forward to the move and I'll shoot you a pm for sure, thanks!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:12 am

Johnny, Welcome to the forum and to the spud capital of the nation. Really good forest and plains grouse in that area. Huns can be found close. Ducks are an early season game, most years things freeze up around there at Thanksgiving. Pheasants can be found on some of the WMA's and within two hours you can be hunting chukars, three to fours hours good chukar and valley quail hunting.
Good Luck. Let me know when you get here.

JonnyNC

Post by JonnyNC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 pm

fishvik wrote:Johnny, Welcome to the forum and to the spud capital of the nation. Really good forest and plains grouse in that area. Huns can be found close. Ducks are an early season game, most years things freeze up around there at Thanksgiving. Pheasants can be found on some of the WMA's and within two hours you can be hunting chukars, three to fours hours good chukar and valley quail hunting.
Good Luck. Let me know when you get here.
Everything you just said is music to my ears! I cannot wait to get out there, and I will definitely shoot you a message. Thanks.