Need a new vehicle...opinions please

isuhunter

Need a new vehicle...opinions please

Post by isuhunter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Looking at options for a new vehicle our "commuting car" (2004 Grand Am) was invovled in an accident and will likely be totaled by insurance. My wife drives 70 miles per day to and from work. We would like to get to a vehicle to use for commuting, hunting/training the dog, pulling lawn mowers & 12' john boat, and hauling people. Ideally I'd like to get something that gets around 20 mpg and has AWD or 4x4.

I have a work truck that I can use for personal use within 1 hr of my work area and I have an 05 F-150 ext cab that we really only use to haul the dog and yard work that we could trade/sell.

Wondering what people think about Explorers or other mid size SUV's for gas mileage and pulling capabilities...

Buckeye_V

Re: Need a new vehicle...opinions please

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Any of the new generation crossovers will be able to do what you are asking. The only TRUE SUV in the mid-size market is the Toyota 4-runner, Nissan Xterra and the Jeep. Everything else is not a true truck chasis.

That being said, we have a GM crossover that seats 7 comfortably, is AWD, and with the 3rd seat folded down we can fit 3 plastic crates in theback with 50lb vizslas in it. There is still room to squeeze gear in for the weekend and an 8 month old baby.

The nwere generations have better trannsmissions than our 07', but we do get 20 MPG highway driving. 16 around town.

I see the newer versions get 24-25 highway.

I do know my brother has a new Subaru Outback Wagon and they regularly get 30mp on the higway. It could pull a small trailer and haul people too. If we did not need the space, we would have definitely gotten a Suby. Still may as a 3rd car some day.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:30 pm

I would look for a new or used 4Runner or Pathfinder. The model before the current 4Runner is a great truck, not that the current is bad but it got really fancy and larger. The one before is a great vehicle.

rockyridge kennels

Post by rockyridge kennels » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:36 pm

2009 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel Loaded 63,000 miles
super clean. Great commuter Car :lol:

Call me I'll hook you right up.

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:38 pm

For MPG, it's hard to beat a Suburu Outback, Honda CRV, or Toyota 4 runner. The Explorers are very nice, but their mpg claim doesn't seem to hold water here in the northeast, other than flat highways. My wife has a Nissan Xterra and it's mpg is worse than my f250 diesel.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:40 pm

rockyridge kennels wrote:2009 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel Loaded 63,000 miles
super clean. Great commuter Car :lol:

Call me I'll hook you right up.

Hahaha...Sounds good to me...however I don't think she'd enjoy driving it as much as I would.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Check out the older model of the Honda Pilot. The new one is way to big. I think it switched over in the 2009 models, but don't quote me on that. About 20mpg hw, maybe even more. I think the newer models get 23 hw. Tows well too. Traction control, so if you start to slide, 4WD engages, but you can lock it in if you want. Good trunk space with the third row seats down.

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:48 pm

I just got a 2012 Subaru Outback last fall and I LOVE it!! Great gas mileage (close to 30 mpg freeway), plenty of room for stuff, and you can't beat the AWD. I got a manual because I personally like driving a manual better and it's the smoothest shifting manual I've ever driven. No fancy extras on mine except the all weather package which includes rubber mats, heated seats, and heated side mirrors and windshield wipers. Absolutely LOVE this car!

Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

I just bought my wife an 07 4Runner, and absolutely love it. It gets 16.5 around town and banging around the country and 18.5-19 on the highway. all wheel drive with a center difflock and a V8.

We replaced her chevy trail blazer with it, and I would never recomend a trailblaze/envoy to anyone. I have owned 3 jeep cherokees an 89, a 96, and a 00. All were great vehicals that took alot of abuse, and were dependable. My parents still have my 96 to tow behind their motorhome and with 276k on it, I wouldnt be afraid to drive it anyplace.

Depending what your after there are a ton of options out there.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:23 pm

I drove a V6 Ford Escape for a couple of years and it worked out pretty good. Lots of good suggestions here.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 pm

What do you guys with a GMC or Chevy 1500 get for mileage?

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:49 pm

We just bought a used Jeep Partiot. Spunky little 4 banger with the manual tranny on it. Get 23 in town and 28-30 interstate. Can pull a small trailer etc with it. Rides better than my tahoe does (although I need new shocks :-) ).

Didn't like the Jeep liberty since the gas milage sucks bad. the one knock I heard on the partiot was the tranny saps the engine. But with the manual thats obviously not the case.

Some good prices out there for an 08' jeep patriot with say 40K miles on it.

Heard good things on the suburus, but wanted something more SUV like. She loves her patriot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59 pm

I just bought the wife a 2012 Subaru Forester, great vehicle. I think the Outback my have a little more pull for a small trailer. That being said I almost pulled the trigger on a 2012 Tacoma dual cab 4x4 a couple of weeks before. Settled on the Forester for the wife. I'll stick to my 2000 Ranger and '95 F-150 for a while.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:15 pm

I got a Honda Element this past summer and I love it. Decent MPG, plenty of space for stuff, its a very 'outdoor' friendly vehicle, the entire floor is rubber that coupled with the stain resistant seats makes cleaning a breeze, AWD, built in cooler which can be taken out (works great for packing lunch for hunting), seems to have plenty of power, don't have a hitch so I've never pulled anything but I'm sure it would be capable of doing so. I'd like to add a basket rack to the top as well but haven't done so.

The only drawback I see with the Element is that it only seats four. Which is fine for us right now as its only myself, girlfriend and one dog. I hate spending $$$ on vehicles but I can honestly say that the Element is the first vehicle that I've ever owned that I didn't mind paying for just because I love it so much!

Can't go wrong with a Honda, Toyota, or Subaru.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 pm

phermes1 wrote:I drove a V6 Ford Escape for a couple of years and it worked out pretty good. Lots of good suggestions here.
Can you fit 2 #300 Vari-Kennels side by side in the back of the escape, can you squeeze a 3rd in by the back door as well?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:06 pm

isuhunter wrote:What do you guys with a GMC or Chevy 1500 get for mileage?
I've known several guys with the 1500 chevys over the years, nothing newer thn an 06-07 though an it seemed like they either got 14-15mpg or they got 19- 20mpg.

There we're a lot of times we took my buddies 04 chevy 1500 instead of my cummins.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:47 pm

I've got an 09 Sierra crew cab and it gets 17-19 hwy, 15-17 in town. Kinda spendy gas wise with the frequent trips I make down your way. Bought a Pontiac Vibe for a gas mileage, dog hauling vehicle. Can't say I care for it, too small, doesn't ride very good and doesn't get near as good of mileage as I expected, but the dog box fits in it, so it will work. Hoping to do something different shortly and will likely go with an Equinox if I go used or the Subaru if I decide to buy a new one.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 pm

ISUHUNTER, I get 17 mpg. Definitely hwy miles.
I enjoy my vortec very much and the only complaint is the front ends on chevy's have too many moving parts.

I would not get a ford exploder. You probably won't get as good of mileage as you need by sacrificing function since the 4wheel drive is inferior. That being said they probably have a flex-fuel or hybrid version that is very economical.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:28 pm

2010 4runner is good. We average 20.8, two ruff toughs in the back with the seats up. V6 isn't the best for hauling, but gets it done.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm

I drive a Ford escape ( V6 Awd ) as my daily driver and it has been a great little vehicle. I used to drive Japanese cars but have to admit this Ford has been bullet proof. I can tow a utility 4x8 trailer no problem and haul my ATV very easily with it. Great on gas and the last 2 years I also took it moose hunting and was impressed at where it would safely go off road too. Subaru Outback is a great car too. My wife drives a 4x4 explorer and while it hs been reliable it is expensive to feed.For bird hunting or turkey hunting it will get you in and out safely and economically.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:34 pm

I have an "Exploder" with 240,000 miles on it and love it! I've upgraded to a Tahoe, but I still like the Explorer. It was bigger in the cargo space than any of the competitors that I tried out. I wanted a toyota, but they didn't have the space that the Explorer did. I got about 18 mpg and up to 20 on the highway. It pulled the duck boat just fine, 4wd worked well. I'd get another one, but I think I'm spoiled with all the space in the Tahoe now. We keep the ford just because it's been such a good vehicle for us - we both really like it. I can fit two large crates in the back and another in the side door space. I never had any issues other than basic maintenance with ours. My best friend drives an Escape, and just bought another one and I hate them both. Rough riding as all get out plus they just don't have any space for crates and supplies.

I don't know if you're talking new or used (I'm a used car Dave Ramsey fan - so I wouldn't buy new) but consumer reports has some good info on vehicle year reports for repairs, etc. If I could find an Eddie Bauer edition explorer in the year I wanted with low miles, I'd be all over it.
Last edited by RoostersMom on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:38 pm

gpblitz wrote:I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4 door short box 4x4 get 20 to 24 on hwy. depending on load and what I pulling. I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the wheel wells and 3 dog crates on top of that. The rig pulls anything i want to puul or haul. Not a bad ride.
That would be my choice. I have a '01 Taco and love it - some day will trade for newer. Hard to beat Toyota's.

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm on my 3rd Ext Cab Tacoma. Always put a camper shell on them. Great truck if you can live with a mid sized.
Consistant 20 mpg. I would love to have an SUV, specifically a 4 Runner. BUT, I always consider one of my dogs
getting "skunked" a couple of hours away from home. You'll never get that stink out of an SUV!

Carl

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:20 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:
I've known several guys with the 1500 chevys over the years, nothing newer thn an 06-07 though an it seemed like they either got 14-15mpg or they got 19- 20mpg.

There we're a lot of times we took my buddies 04 chevy 1500 instead of my cummins.
The difference in the gas mileage is in the rear ends. GT4 3.73, GT5 4.10, GU6 3.42 ratio. Just open up the glove box and look for those codes I think there the only ones GM puts in them or that I've ever seen.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm

fishpond wrote:I'm on my 3rd Ext Cab Tacoma. Always put a camper shell on them. Great truck if you can live with a mid sized.
Consistant 20 mpg. I would love to have an SUV, specifically a 4 Runner. BUT, I always consider one of my dogs
getting "skunked" a couple of hours away from home. You'll never get that stink out of an SUV!

Carl
Good point about getting skunk smell out of a 4runner. I've looked at 4Runner versus Tacoma versus older Tundra for my next truck. 4runners and Tundras are pretty cheap on the used market - but EVERYONE want a double cab Tacoma. Somehow I always seem to have a need for a pickup, though. I guess the double cab is probably the best way to go - but you do lose some bed space too. I prefer to sleep in the bed on overnight hunting trips - keep a piece of 4" foam back there - it's amazingly comfortable.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 pm

WOW guys!!! Thanks for all the responses. After reading through, I think I need to give the Toyotas, Subarus, and Ford Escape some looks.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:07 am

Tacoma doublecab with a shell would solve all issues.

raypoconos

Post by raypoconos » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:48 am

+1 on the Toyota Tacoma - had an '05 4-door TRD and got 20mpg consistently - put well over 100K on it and it didn't owe me a thing. I regret selling it.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:07 am

Here's one for ya'

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:40 am

Tacoma double :D

My 06 has 120k on the odometer and still has the original front end components, try that with your Ford,Chevy, or Dodge, I have had almost every configuration truck by the big three until I couldn't take it anymore. I also live on a 1/2 mile long dirt road that gets snotty in the spring and fall, also many of the miles put on my truck are on logging roads up north. My best fuel mileage to date has been 22.6 MPG but I can get 20 MPG on the highway if I keep it under 80. I would buy another in a second :wink:

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 am

I've got 225,000 miles on my '04 Tacoma, and have done nothing but regular maintenance and timing belts.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 am

Any photos of the Tacomas? They have me intrugied...

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:02 am

isuhunter wrote:Any photos of the Tacomas? They have me intrugied...
Is your wife cool with commuting in a truck every day? I know my wife wouldnt have it....

Jim

moomps

Post by moomps » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:41 am

I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. It's a very comfortable vehicle and has a tow rating of over 6,000#. I have a 6X10 enclosed trailer I use for my ATV and it pulls it without any issues at all, and gets about 17 mpg in town and low 20's on the highway (without the trailer of course). Not soo bad for such a heavy SUV. This is my 4th Jeep and I am a very satisfied customer.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 am

Get yourself a nice new toyota FJ, my dad works for them and we have two they are one of the greatest trucks i have ever driven, i would get one over a jeep any day they are great!
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 am

Here is mine in North Dakota this past October with 3 crates in the bed and 6 dogs on the trailer. The plastic crates were only on the trailer for trips around town.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 am

llewellinsetter wrote:Get yourself a nice new toyota FJ, my dad works for them and we have two they are one of the greatest trucks i have ever driven, i would get one over a jeep any day they are great!
We looked at them what the window visibility seemed awe full, what is your take on the visibility?

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 am

it is a little tight... BUT once you are used to driving the truck you wont even care, they ride so nice and they are TOUGH.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:44 pm

I have owned several of those vehicles mentioned for my dog vehicles(Subaru Outback, Tacoma double cab with cap, F150 quad cab, and Honda Odyssey). The Toyota was a nice little truck, but for the money of a new one you could get a half ton that gets about the same MPG and a larger bed and towing. Subaru's a good all weather cars, but not great on space for many dogs and gear. Minivan was nice with a lot or room and with a trailer hitch could haul 3500#. I now have a 2007 F150 quad with 6.5 bed and soon to have a cap on it. There are some decent options out there. Having a truck with cap gives you a lot of space and have had dogs sprayed by skunks or rolled in nasty dead stuff and if they are in the cab it makes for a long ride home, plus I hate hearing the kennel latches bang with bumps. Good Luck and let us know what you decide on.

Matt

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:
Is your wife cool with commuting in a truck every day? I know my wife wouldnt have it....

Jim
We have the 2005 pre-runner, my wife said its smoother than her accord and easy to drive. My 3 kids say it has more room in the back. It has great suspension for rough roads. The motor pulls like a fullsize truck. I pulled a dodge cummins club cab 4+4 home on my tandem axle trailer home last week. Gets the load going fine, stopping is a problem though without trailer brakes. Toyotas are simply bullet proof and hold crazy resale values. They have repair needs about as often as a honda. My hunting rig is an 85 4 runner with the factory straight axle front end. Its ugly but it goes anywhere. I had a lifted ford excursion with the 7.3 powerstoke before i felt the need to downsize due to the rough terrain, tight trails, price of diesel, and maintenence costs.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Being in the automotive repair industry for 25 plus years, before I thankfully got out.... I always find it interesting to listen to people about their preferences on vehicles. However being privy to not only industry surveys and information, but also a first hand working knowledge, I can potentially offer that there are a few viable intangible things to take into consideration when thinking through a prospective purchase:

1) What will the vehicle be used for 90% of it's driving life and in what type of conditions? IE: dirt roads VS Freeways, inclement weather VS sunshine, city traffic VS open roads, single commuter driver VS family transportation, etc. Analizing this alone will eliminate a good chunk of considerations.

2) How many miles will the vehicle be used for annually? This is where MPG may or may not come into play- 12K miles a year VS 30K miles a year (30K miles @ 20 MPG is 1500 gallons per year or @ $3.00 a gallon or $4500.00 per year in fuel costs where 12K miles is only 600 gallons or $1800.00 per year). If the vehicle getting 20mpg costs $25K and the other one getting 15 mpg costs $15K and you drive 12-20K miles a year it may not even come into effect in operational costs over 5 years of ownership.

3) Insurance- A vehicles insurance premium- New VS Used, higher insurance rates by driver, higher rated residence area of the insured, or higher class of vehicle to insure can equal differences in annual costs of as much as $2500-5000 in premiums or so much that a used vehicle may offset maintenance and fuel costs by insurance premium differences alone.

4) Safety-accidents happen, and you can never put a price on the value of the human lives that are important to you. Safety means not only in accidents but in performance, braking, accelerating, impact resistance, handling, traction (especially in incliment weather), operating condition, etc. are all factors in safety and should be in the mix for consideration.

5) Capacity- do you carry dog crates and people or do you need the vehicle for work and play and haul 6000lb campers and skidsteers for work. Capacity should be appropriate for what you do for the vehicle to last, you can't overload and overwork a vehicle and have it safe and have it last for any length of time. You can't bring a knife to a gun fight and win. 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles are made for those reasons. Match your needs to your choice and never underarm yourself.

6)Reliability-certain powertrain combinations from various manufacturers offer proven reliability that give owners some piece of mind...but wear items, brakes, tires, shocks, suspension parts, electrical parts like starters and alternators, and tuneup and preventative maintenance items- all still need replacing regardless of the "bigger" component reliability factors. Heavy Duty vehicles and import vehicle parts come with a higher price tag...starters, alternators, even preventative items like filters are more expensive....over the service life of a vehicle these "small" items can equate to thousands of dollars in maintenance costs differences. A diesel mercedes unimog is one of the most "reliable" vehicles ever made and designed to go a million miles....however a 30K mile or 60K mile tuneup on one is $5-7000 dollars (not a misprint)and the new purchase cost is over $100K...doesn't seem so "reliable" in my calculations.

7)The deal- you may find that simply the deal you can strike on one vehicle VS another may justify the purchase fiancially...all of this thought and debate can all be for not when you actually get to the bargaining table...start shopping with no deadline and you just may find you stumble onto the right vehicle for you by accident. changing your mind all together.

8) Driver preference- this is the wildcard...all folks like a look or feel or handling ,brand, familiarity, etc. of a particular vehicle over another and in some cases convince themselves to purchase that and only that vehicle on emotion alone. Right, wrong or indifferent it's fact...so much so that often they pay well beyond market value on a vehicle to have one of their own. This negates all of the above and unless you remain completely void of prejudice this emotion will ultimately affect the outcome.

All of this being said you will likely own many vehicles in your lifetime, of many different types at different stages of your life with different needs and desires...the vehicles to consider are the ones that fill the bill for your current and next 5 years projected needs...that make fiancially sound sense...and that you feel most comfortable owning and putting your family in....lot's of great vehicles out there...that will all get the job done, some just better than others......Good Luck in your search and don't sweat the decision.
"Most certainly there are no things in this world can equal the love of God, Family, Friends and a great Bird Dog."
www.OutlawGundogs.com

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:41 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:

Jim
Well we looked at some last night and she's open to it but she'd rather have an SUV. So I think we'll look towards the 4runner right now.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 am

Outlaw - that's one of the best, most thought out posts I've seen on GDF in a long time. And just for the record, that Driver Preference Wildcard has screwed me more times that I care to admit over the years. Some people view vehicles as a utility tool, some as an extension of their personality/style/identity. I fall into the second group and preference has trumped practicality many times.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks Jake..... I'm just throwing it out there hoping to be of some benefit along the way. Every one of us has fallen into the "wildcard" preference catagory at one time or another in our lives....and more often than not, a bunch of times.

One of the positives of getting older is that we all eventually see "stuff" as merely "stuff" and once we do, it frees up our minds and emotions for a few more meaningful endevors. I'm pretty convinced by this point in my life that when they lay me in the pine box I won't be taking anything with me other than my character, integrity, knowledge, and most importantly my faith and the treasured memories of what I gave and received in this lifetime. I just don't think there will be any "stuff" going with me. :wink:
"Most certainly there are no things in this world can equal the love of God, Family, Friends and a great Bird Dog."
www.OutlawGundogs.com

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a new rig.

I'm planning on looking at : 2011 Jeep Compass (5spd), Subaru Forester, Nissan Xterra, and Toyota 4runner.

I already have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD and its a heck of a pickup. 171,000 miles on it and still running strong! I'm just looking for a newer suv type for my fiance that has the capabilty to take on long road trips/hunting trips. MPG is a big deal for me, which is why the Compass and Subaru is at the top of my list (i think both get high 20's on the hwy w/ 4cyl). I also need awd or 4wd. I think with good tires and awd you'd be able to go through some nasty non-paved roads. Also i'm moving to Wyoming (hopefully) so i'd like AWD for the snow.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Ok, so I'm a data/Excel junkie, and since JWP is looking at mileage as a critical factor, thought I'd throw this out there.
I have an '02 Yukon that needs replacing after 210K miles, and MPG is important to me too since we put on about 20K/yr.
Attached is a screenshot of my MPG stats on cheaper used vehicles around 2005 age since I want to buy used and pay cash.
All stats came from fueleconomy.gov and I threw them into a spreadsheet to figure how much $$ we'll save on gas compared to the Yukon.
As you see, the Nissan Rogue would save us roughly $1600/yr in gas at today's price, and so on. Hope this is useful for you guys too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Awesome chart!

I just looked at the same website and checked out the Jeep Compass 2011 4wd 2.5l 4cyl 5sp is City: 22mpg Hwy: 28 Fuel Cost: 2,200.

Combined with a sticker price of around 22,000 its looking very attractive (i hope to find a nice pre-owned) along with the Forester (Fuel cost: 2,400)...just about the same.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:51 pm

We bought a 08 Jeep Patriot this last fall, its got the CVT tranny and shift on the fly AWD/4WD system. Runs mid to high 20's hwy and low 20's city. Nice ride and very comfy, enough room for a couple people,couple dogs and gear. We drove alot of suv's and we liked it the best for combo of nice driving,fuel efficient and cost.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Just to add IMO it is always smarter fiscally to buy a lightly used vehicle. Remember, A new car is worth about 10% less as soon as you drive off the lot, from there on average vehicles will lose 15-25% of their ACV per year for the first five years of ownership, depreciation slows from that point on.

Of course there are exceptions, for instance if you have a family member who works at Ford you can get a SMOKIN deal by going through the family program.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm

for the record a CAR is NEVER a wise investment.. EVER.

Used is USUALLY a better overall financial decision than NEW, but NOT always... evidence was my low mileage RAM 2500. I put more work in that than I did in purchasing it. Plus it got terrible gas mileage (worse even than your worst idea of bad)...

My 5800# crew cab 2500, gets about 14mpg highway. I could see a 1500 with a smaller engine getting 17-18 highway. The incentives they are offering, you likely can get a WT pretty cheap now.

By the way, have the wife drive an ext cab, short bed full size (anything)... she might change her mind on a pickup. My mother loved their full size truck f-150. My wife liked my dodge Ram 2500 and how it drove. She's not driven the Silverado 2500 much, but we're gonna change that soon. I'll get her towing with it soon too.

I've owned:
Subarus
Jeeps
F-150s
Ram
Dakota
Durango
Silverado
I've put more highway miles than most would on these vehicles.
I can vouch for the reliability of the Subarus.
Jeeps too.
F150, darned good vehicle, but has its "common items" nothing serious, but typical heavy 4x4 repairs (hubs, joints, and 4x4 service)
The dakota and durango are great vehicles, but the repairs will kill you once they hit 100k, or 7 years old.
The silverado? don't know yet... just started with one new.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect