Looking For A Good Pup - GSP vs. EP!

shaneroyce

Looking For A Good Pup - GSP vs. EP!

Post by shaneroyce » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 am

I put this in the "Archive: Wanted" forum...not sure where the right place to post it is. I'm a pretty short time lurker on this forum and a new member. I'm a long-time hunter and am looking for a good bred GSP pup for the field (maybe EP-would love to hear thoughts on this-have never had an EP but have had several GSP's). Proven parents and good bloodlines and temperament are key for me (and most people on here I'm sure). I have 6 kids that are 13 and under. All of them love the field and love dogs. We only hunt upland birds...chukar,pheasant, and quail. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good litter on the ground or one that will be on the ground before too long. I've always been a little partial to males, but have nothing against a good female. I am in the Boise, Idaho area, but wouldn't be against a little road trip if the pup was right! Thanks in advance for all of the help. Again, thoughts on GSP vs. EP would be good to hear as well. I've never had trouble getting a GSP to retrieve...2nd hand knowledge tells me that EP's are not as excited about retrieving, but I've never owned one so what do I know? Thanks again.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Looking For A Good Pup - GSP vs. EP!

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:15 am

Don't know if it's still there or not but, years ago there was a kennel near Boise that raised Radbach shorthairs. Some really nice dogs came from it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 am

Do research on gsp vs ep. We don't need another thread about the same topic as the result is always the same. Thread gets locked and you buy what you already wanted to buy before posting this topic. Look at both litters and choose the puppy you like.

Don the kennel is the name name as the prefix on the dog. Larry lowell has some of that stuff back in his lines used it to outcross some of the rockin rollin billy, blues, rocky. Check out lowells gun dogs.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 am

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:26 am

I sure do like the pup (GSP) I got from Ken Lynch, he may be having another litter too. This pup is calm in the house, learns fast, loves my kids etc.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:33 am

This looks like it will be a good litter: viewtopic.php?f=120&t=32411

Do research on health, structure, etc., I'm just going by titles from a quick search.

shaneroyce

Post by shaneroyce » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 am

Sorry everyone, I did not know that the GSP vs. EP question was a "hot topic". I'll look at litters of both if you all have any leads near me. Thanks for the replies and pm's so far. I look forward to more info.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Call Lenny at www.sixxemkennels.com he has a few nice litters that will be ready to go soon. I have a buddy getting a pup from him, and I got my puppy from him also. Class guy and some really nice dogs.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 pm

My advice, as always, is to look at the breeder and breeding rather than the breed.

Take it FWIW, Greg J.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm

X2 what Greg said. For a newb like yourself, a support system from the breeder is invaluable. The right breeding will give you the genetics, regardless of breed, to give yousomething to work WITH.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Since you've had several shorthairs, if you particularly liked any, do you know the bloodlines? As far as pointers, I find them a little easier going in the inside WMD department, so I don't think there's much favoring either breed as a companion.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:50 pm

shaneroyce wrote:2nd hand knowledge tells me that EP's are not as excited about retrieving, but I've never owned one so what do I know? Thanks again.

Bull Hockey :P

12weeks old

The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno