male gsp peeing......

trigger1989

male gsp peeing......

Post by trigger1989 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:03 am

1 year old gsp that is completely potty trained since a week after I brought him home. I know him not being fixed is probably to blame but not sure. Whenever we go out to a field for him to run around or a dog park he is always peeing on stuff! Literally if he isn't occupied and just roaming around he's almost searching for stuff to pee on. This doesn't bother me to much because his age and balls are still in tact. But yesterday at the dog park he straight up walked up to 2 different people and peed on them. How should I handle or control this without getting him fixed? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: male gsp peeing......

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:24 am

I am sort of dealing with this also, but mine is peering on his bed a little when excited. Also he has become suddenly reserved around strangers.
Its trianable, but you have to WATCH. Pres correct him when he sniffs someones leg, gently then have him sit or lay down so the person can pet him. Keep in mind it's not always a power play in his dog mind. Sometimes he is just so involved with smell he is n
ot taking in all the sight details. Also sometimes by claiming something as "his" he is offering to protect it and accept it for you. Of course it not okay in human culture! But you have teach him that. I use a leave it command for sniffing, and they will pick up on you embarrassment pretty quick when you correct them. Remember also while you want him to leave that leg alone NOW you don't want him afriad to meet people. Teach him that sit or down for petting is the way to greet.
It will get better with prqctice, time, age, and when those hormones level out, as you already know. Sometimes dogs developed protective tendencies at this age so keep the experience friendly if you can.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:26 am

I think he's just claiming everything as his. Most male dogs "mark". Thats their way of claaiming something I think. If your dog is perfectly hause broke at home, take it to a friend's house for the first time and he will probably get all the doors he can before he get's thrown out. I seldom take my dog's into someone elses home just for that reason. When I do, I watch them like a hawk.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:09 am

I would think you could train this out of them? I'm hoping to get a male dog as soon as I can without getting divorced so I'm interested in this topic. I would think, that if you can read the dog like a book and see it coming you could make the correction at the same moment he starts and eventually get this trained out? At first by fussing at him but eventually using the e-collar. Can you train them to never hike a leg? Anyone?

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:13 am

Redfishkilla wrote: Can you train them to never hike a leg? Anyone?
I started taking my pup to the middle of the yard away from everything in the morning when I first let him out and then a couple times during the day. There is NOTHING there to pee on except grass so he squats. Keep him on a leash and don't go anywhere until he goes then give him a command (I use "go pee"). Praise him after he does. After time, you'll be able to say "Go Pee" and he'll go to his spot in the yard and do his business.

I've had a problem with him peeing on my flowers and killing them so I started this method. I have also put in a blender 3 jalapeno peppers and water to make a spicy water and sprayed that on all the plants he frequents...we'll see how that works. I was gagging a little just spraying the stuff so I hope it keeps him away!

Bill

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 am

" I was gagging a little just spraying the stuff so I hope it keeps him away!"

LOL!!!

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 am

My Drahthaar is three and fixed. He still pees on everything (never a person LOL).

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:22 am

I wanted to put the e collar on him but then I don't want him to think its bad to pee or that going by people is bad and then he starts cork' his pee.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:36 am

Neutering will not necessarily stop thwe marking o I would not neuter if that is the reason for doing it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

campbellj21

Post by campbellj21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:05 pm

My 5 year old GSP (in tact) pees frequently in the field as well, seems like he stops every few minutes and pees. Doesn't really bother me though, he still carries on hunting hard after he pees, so I guess I've just learned to live with it. Never had him pee on another person though :D

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:25 pm

You shouldn't need an e-collar for this one. You don't want to correct him everytime he sniffs a person. He won't think the peeing is wrong he'll think strangers hurt him. You want to verbally teach him to leave something interesting alone, and then apply it when he starts sniffing someones legs or around them.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Both my dogs pee every time we take them out in the field. They pee every hundred yards or so, until they run out. Then they just lift their leg and pretend. We had a issue with my pup where he would pee on peoples legs, but only when we were duck hunting and wearing waders so it was not to bad. Eventually he just stopped?

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Ya I learned to just ignore it but when he peed on two people the other I thought I would get some input. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Put a wrappy on him. Sojourner makes them in camo.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Brought a male home from the trainer earlier this month, while introducing him back into the pack he decided to mark my husband. The boy got a boot to his butt right then and there. When leashing walking, my boys are not allowed to hike their leg on anything upright, light poles, trees, truck tires, etc. In the field they're allowed a couple of stops, after that I get them moving and down to the business of why they're out there. Maybe I'm hard on them but I can not stand when I see people letting their dogs pee on on anything and everything.

Symon

Post by Symon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:30 am

I have three intact males living under one roof (4, 3, 2 years old). We have intact males stay with us for as long as month at a time and on many occasions had two females stay with us as well. Never marked in the house. (I have actually had more trouble with females doing this). This is not their house, it is mine. I have some absolutes and this is one of them.
stlgsp wrote:When leashing walking, my boys are not allowed to hike their leg on anything upright, light poles, trees, truck tires, etc. In the field they're allowed a couple of stops, after that I get them moving and down to the business of why they're out there. Maybe I'm hard on them but I can not stand when I see people letting their dogs pee on on anything and everything.
Agreed. The world is not their "potty", someone else's yard is exactly that (let alone unsightly hanging your junk out everywhere). We have had opportunity (like on a leash walk) to enforce the "no business" command. When we have guests stay or we visit, they get a friendly verbal reminder "no business" off the start to ensure there is no confusion if someone else's dog "starts it". When we are out in the field they get the first few minutes to relieve themselves before getting to work.
Redfishkilla wrote:Can you train them to never hike a leg?
Absolutely. I always make the first correction send a clear understanding of my expectation.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 am

My pup is 8 months now and he has never lifted his leg. I heard that that is a behavior learned from other dogs. I did have issues with him peeing in other peoples houses, but I just brought cleaner with me whenever I went to someones house and after catching him in the act a couple times at different houses he doesn't dare pee inside. He wont even pee on ice. I think he thinks its a type of floor so he wont risk it. On leash I put him at heel and give him one stop to pee and after than he gets dragged along if he tries to stop again. At the end of our walk/run I'll release him from heel and the first thing he does is pee. Off leash I let him pee as much as he wants....as long as its appropriate. I think the hardest part of your situation is dealing with the people that your dog just peed on. I think ideally, you'd want to scold the dog and then show him the appropriate way of greeting a person, but I'm not sure there are going to be to many people willing to help you out with that after your dog just peed on them. Sounds like a bummer of a situation. Hope you work it out.

Tim