Dog Box Question

terrylndrs

Dog Box Question

Post by terrylndrs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:21 am

I'm looking to build a 3 dog box but for the space I have available each compartment would only be 15" wide. Is 15" wide enough for a GSP to turn around in?
Any thoughts would be great.

bumper52

Re: Dog Box Question

Post by bumper52 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 pm

15" seems a bit narrow...I have a buddy that has a 3 holer that is 18".....it seems ok.....I guess if it's deep enough they could get turned around ok.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Not enough.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:00 pm

15" will work, it's tight, but it will work for GSP's.

I just built this box for Brian (Volraider on here) a few months ago and the inside dimensions of the individual holes are 15-1/2" wide. He has a big Westwind Male GSP and he can get in turn around and be OK in the box. Brian may chime in once he notices the photos are posted.

terrylndrs

Post by terrylndrs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 pm

thanks. nice looking box

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:08 pm

If I had a choice I would go a little bigger, but my dog boxes are 17" and I have detected no problems. I think if they were 15 it would still be big enough.I have Brittanys but I have put Shorthairs and Pointers in them and also some really big Britts .

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:32 pm

I had a threeholer once that sported 15" boxes,they could get turned around in it, a 50 pound setter,55 pound pointer and my buddies 48 pound shorthair,they'd go in but gave you resistance everytime which led me to believe.............. little on the small side.If your building this box to fit in a pickup I can't see why each box wouldn't be closer to 15 3/4 inches,that 3/4 makes a huge difference believe it or not.Think light partition with 1/8 " aluminum sheet material.

You putting this thing on a naked pickup,or one with a fiberglass canopy?,If your doing the canopy thing............ build the box to set up on the rails of the bed and that will get you some more room.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Nice work! might I make a suggestion? Turn your expanded metal so that the diamonds are running horizontal,I put it the way you did in my truck and found out why they should run the other way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if they scratch at it the diamond can grab the toe and cut the crap out of it.They tend to get kinda amped up when they know someone else is getting out to hunt.It's one of the things I'd do different on my boxes,everything I've built since has horizontal diamonds

Vonrommel wrote:15" will work, it's tight, but it will work for GSP's.

I just built this box for Brian (Volraider on here) a few months ago and the inside dimensions of the individual holes are 15-1/2" wide. He has a big Westwind Male GSP and he can get in turn around and be OK in the box. Brian may chime in once he notices the photos are posted.

terrylndrs

Post by terrylndrs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm looking to put it in a Ford Excursion. I'm still debating a box or trailer