GDF Junkie

Re: Pre registered by breeder...

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:34 am

Much ado about nothing....

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Much ado about nothing....
A dog, by any other name? :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 pm

I have a Drahthaar that is regestered to the kennel. Do I call him by his regestered name, nope, I call him by the name I like.

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Nota have you ever won anything with him.?

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 pm

bigsugar wrote:Nota have you ever won anything with him.?
Honestly I have only had him since a week before Christmas. He was a rescue dog that I got from NYC so he had never seen game before coming to Oklahoma but is progressing very well.

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 pm

What I was getting at is that if you were to start winning with him in the write-up they don't put Max. They put his registered name. That's when it starts to matter.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:21 pm

I can name many many dogs that Win in lots of venues, with call names very different than their reg name.

But all in all my question has been answered ;) in several directions.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 pm

bigsugar wrote:What I was getting at is that if you were to start winning with him in the write-up they don't put Max. They put his registered name. That's when it starts to matter.
I guess I jumped in before reading.

Where at in SE Kansas are you bigsugar? I am in NE Oklahoma (North of Tulsa on the Kansas line)

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Just north of you in between chanute and ft Scott.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:45 pm

That is not far at all. Maybe we can run dogs sometime. I have never entered a field trial but I like to hunt!

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Me too but boy our bird numbers aren't good. I have lots of ground we can hunt. I can't guarantee birds though!

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:50 pm

There has not been any wild birds around here in years! I have just as much fun watching the dogs on days I do not find birds as the days I do.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:08 pm

JKP wrote:Every breeder deserves the right to name his/her pups.
No they don't. The only person that has the right to name the pup is the guy or gal spending thier hard earned money. I do think it's a big deal when someone tells me what to do with MY property. I will also add that I believe that if a breeder stipulates that his or her kennel name has to be in the dogs registration they have an ego problem and are attempting to take credit for the dogs trialing success. No Thanks...they can keep that litter.
JKP wrote:If a buyer has a problem with that, I would say the motives of the buyer should come in question.

How so?

It should be. I think it's shameless and pathetic for a breeder to name or attach themselves or kennel to another person's dog.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:24 pm

I to wonder why the buyer should come into question for not wanting to keep a kennel name?

I personally would shy away from someone making me use their name for my dog, a name is personal and I want it to be something I like and put together myself.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:15 pm

A_LOTA_NOTA wrote:There has not been any wild birds around here in years! I have just as much fun watching the dogs on days I do not find birds as the days I do.
Try woodcock sometime. Fun to work dogs on.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Ron R wrote:
No they don't. The only person that has the right to name the pup is the guy or gal spending thier hard earned money. I do think it's a big deal when someone tells me what to do with MY property. I will also add that I believe that if a breeder stipulates that his or her kennel name has to be in the dogs registration they have an ego problem and are attempting to take credit for the dogs trialing success. No Thanks...they can keep that litter.
JKP wrote:If a buyer has a problem with that, I would say the motives of the buyer should come in question.

How so?

It should be. I think it's shameless and pathetic for a breeder to name or attach themselves or kennel to another person's dog.
Is not the puppy the breeder's property until they sell it. How is that different? The breeder owns the litter and thus every puppy in it, and thus based on your logic, has the right to name their puppies. Then they sell the puppy to you. It is not yours by right until after the breeder has owned it and then chosen to sell it.

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Ron R wrote:I think it's shameless and pathetic for a breeder to name or attach themselves or kennel to another person's dog.
OMG you have to be kidding me ROFLMAO

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 pm

I think that you are missing something. My point and stance is that when a person sells a pup they relinquish all rights and authority over to the new owner. I thought I clearly explained that.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Susie wrote:
Ron R wrote:I think it's shameless and pathetic for a breeder to name or attach themselves or kennel to another person's dog.
OMG you have to be kidding me ROFLMAO
Some people like to be bossed around and told what to do with their property...I'm not one of them. If you don't mind buying a pup and having the breeder stipulate that you have name it after their kennel, I just don't care...but it is pathetic IMO.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Ron R wrote:
JKP wrote:

At the time the buyer agrees to the breeder's terms, the pup belongs to the breeder. It is their propert. They, ultimately, set the terms. If the buyer doesn't like any of the terms, they are free to go to another breeder. That is a how a free market works.

If you sold a piece of land, you might want to retain hunting rights for your lifetime. It's your property, shouldn't you be able to do that?

Greg J

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:At the time the buyer agrees to the breeder's terms, the pup belongs to the breeder. It is their propert. They, ultimately, set the terms. If the buyer doesn't like any of the terms, they are free to go to another breeder.
I agree that the litter belongs to the breeder but I also believe that it is also outlandishly mind boggling that someone would agree to such terms. What's next, the owner of the stud starts throwing ridiculous terms to the breeder (owner or leasee of the dam). With that being said, I would go to another breeder.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Just curious but what ever happened to a hand shake and good luck with your new pup. It seems most want to have cotracts along with terms and stipulations. Oh Brother :roll:.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:05 pm

When you get that deal, Ron, you are simply agreeing to a different set of terms.

It is no different than when I bought my house in AL vs when I bought my house here in OH. Different terms were cutomary in the two places.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:13 pm

I asked for an opinion on whether you would look at another litter, and you answered my question. (well you answered the question of whether you would look elswere, if you could NOT change the puppy's name and/or choose not to add the breeder's kennel name, which actually was not my question really)

RE: kennel name
I never brought up the kennel name,
... but I do feel that I look for a breeder that has pride in their puppies, puts LOTS into raising them, and cares for them. Has done the health testing, has chosen and bred carefully and mindfully, that has proven their own dogs, and chosen proven stud dogs. That is willing to take the puppy back if it does not work out and stand behind any puppy that might against all odds not turn out to be fully healthy or able to hunt. In exchange if they ask for a little thanks, by showing that they bred this puppy, I think it's fair.

If the breeder does not ask anything at all of me as buyer, then I imagine they are prepared to give me the same in return. Money/dog nothing more after that, no matter what happens later. That is not the deal I am looking for, but certainly there are people who are, and breeders who oblige.
Edited for spelling - probably still missed more mistakes :roll: long day.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:33 pm

I do think it's a big deal when someone tells me what to do with MY property.
When I breed it, its MY property before its yours...I decide to sell it to you or ask you to look elsewhere. If you want my property, fine...if you don't...that's fine too. When you spend money, you are buying someone else's property...not yours.

So do you tell Ford to change the name on the registration??? :lol: :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:52 pm

This really baffles me that someone would have a problem with a breeder would want their name included in a registered name. Some breeders work for decades to breed a line of dogs, IMO that entitles REPUTABLE and ESTABLISHED breeders to have their kennel name included in a pups registered name.

But it's a super easy problem to resolve, spend your money elsewhere... me I will go buy from litters that I like regardless of name, if the breeder wants their name included I would respect this as their right for putting in the time and effort to prove dogs and whelp the litter.

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:15 pm

mountaindogs wrote:... but I do feel that I look for a breeder that has pride in their puppies, puts LOTS into raising them, and cares for them. Has done the health testing, has chosen and bred carefully and mindfully, that has proven their own dogs, and chosen proven stud dogs. That is willing to take the puppy back if it does not work out and stand behind any puppy that might against all odds not turn out to be fully healthy or able to hunt. In exchange if they ask for a little thanks, by showing that they bred this puppy, I think it's fair.
And you are the type of puppy buyer I look for :wink:

We don't pre register litters but our kennel pre fix is on every puppy registration I sign. JMO, if some one gets their panties in a bunch over something this trivial they can look else where for a pup...in 15 years of breeding I haven't had ONE person complain! Granted, I do it for recognition should some one decide to prove their pup but I also do it for an another reason...not only do I breed but I'm very involved in breed rescue. Just last year I had an all breed rescue contact me about a pup I had sold eight years ago...the owners dumped the poor dog at a shelter and the group had pulled him. I was able to help them place the dog and if they hadn't I was prepared to bring the dog back home from CA to CO. Had they not Goggled my kennel prefix and found my Web site who knows what would have happened to this dog :(

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Ron R wrote:

How so?

Totally disagree. The breeder has the right to name the pup or prefix the pup, just as you have the right to choose not to go to that breeder. The pup is only your property after you pay for it and agree to the terms. So if you inquire about a pup, and the breeder says all pups will have my prefix, it is not your pup at that time. In my case, I could care less about prefixes, but I won't let anyone choose the entire name. I dislike the alphabet system too, and have seen some pretty funky names, with folks following that. I'm not going to get pizzy about the person that wants to fully name their pups though. Last I checked we're in the US and that's their right. I'll just move on. As far as taking credit for trialing success, the breeder created the raw product and hopefully some natural talent in the animal, and you or your trainer molded it into a winner--if it becomes so. If a breeder/lineage has absolutely nothing to do with a dog's success, than you can go to any place to purchase your next pup, right? Close your eyes and just point at the newspaper ads. :D So now what if you foul the dog's training up, and show it off to the world as a misfit? It will still carry the breeder's name. Bet that never happens, right? They're all trialing success stories. :roll: The breeder who uses their prefix, gets the publicity, whether it's good or bad. I also can't think of one venue, where the handler/owner aren't listed for the world to see, and I'm betting that most of us know who trains/handles what dog in our chosen dog games. That ego/shameless/pathetic verbage can be flipped totally to the other side of the fence as well--take a super nice dog, put some training into it, get some achievements, stamp your kennel name on it as if it's 100% a product of your kennel program, and then forgot you bought a super nice dog to begin with.

On a side note, I grew up on a small TWH farm, where we bred some nice horses for a couple decades. We had a ranch name, but never used any particular prefix on our foals. The foals went far and wide--from Canada, around the U.S., and one was even flown overseas. Fifteen plus years later, and the breeding long over, with just a couple long tooth horses out to pasture at my mom's...I try to look up the progeny on the web. I can remember the names of most of our breeding stock, but to try to remember the name of a foal we had for less than a year is hard. My sister and my dad didn't give a hoot about the horses, so they have no memories to tap. My mom probably has most of the records, stashed in boxes of clutter somewhere in her garage, after the last move. I would love to be able to just google "Super K's soandso" and be able to find out what happened to those horses. Who did what with them? What did they achieve? What did they produce? What did they turn out looking like? Maybe if I joined TWHBEA, I could get all those names, I don't know and am not going to spend the money to do so. I'm just throwing out the benefits of what lineage prefixes can do, for both the breeder trying to track their progeny, to the person interested in a certain line of dogs...in the day and age of the www.
Last edited by wems2371 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Can we expound on this topic or maybe it should be its own.

Say I have a kennel named Redneck kennels and go buy a pup from Allstar kennels (made up names). Allstar has been breeding a line of dogs for 25 years and is a well known and respected kennel, is it okay if I register the pup as "Redneck Boot licker deer chaser" ?

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Try woodcock sometime. Fun to work dogs on.
I do not think we have woodcock in Oklahoma. If we do I cannot say I have ever seen one. Guess I'll have to some to your neck of the woods to hunt them.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Ron R wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:At the time the buyer agrees to the breeder's terms, the pup belongs to the breeder. It is their propert. They, ultimately, set the terms. If the buyer doesn't like any of the terms, they are free to go to another breeder.
I agree that the litter belongs to the breeder but I also believe that it is also outlandishly mind boggling that someone would agree to such terms. What's next, the owner of the stud starts throwing ridiculous terms to the breeder (owner or leasee of the dam). With that being said, I would go to another breeder.
I agree with you Ron, you can't believe some of the terms breeders put in their contacts now days, the last lab I looked at (on this site) required your pick of the litter to be chosen at 4 weeks, and the dog must remain on their dog food for 26 months in order to keep the health guarantee in tack, they also demanded their name on the dog even though the highest title on the 3 generation pedigree was a JH, that was just the tip of the iceberg to comply with the health guarantee you would have to send about $900 in expenses to get $700 back. I believe that kennel had been in operation for a handful of years, can't imagine why they should feel they have the right to name my pup. I can't think of another business outside of breeders that conduct practices that would turn away 30% of buyers.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:03 pm

JKP wrote:WOW!!! Tough to understand how so much can be written about a seemingly unimportant issue. Every breeder deserves the right to name his/her pups. Why changing the name would be so important is beyond my comprehension. If a buyer has a problem with that, I would say the motives of the buyer should come in question. The dog can be called Pansie of the Rainbow Woods...if it is a Kick A$& dog, no one is going to care. After all, they can use any call name they like. :lol: :lol:
I'm SOOOOOO naming a dog that! :lol: NOT! :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:54 pm

A_LOTA_NOTA wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Try woodcock sometime. Fun to work dogs on.
I do not think we have woodcock in Oklahoma. If we do I cannot say I have ever seen one. Guess I'll have to some to your neck of the woods to hunt them.
We do and even have a winter season. Try Copan sometime.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 am

mountaindogs wrote:If the breeder does not ask anything at all of me as buyer, then I imagine they are prepared to give me the same in return.
I never said anything that insinuates that the breeder that minds his own business and does not tell a person what to name their new pup does not stand behind their breeding and will make themself available to help with any training or health problem. Stop imagining.
ACooper wrote:This really baffles me that someone would have a problem with a breeder would want their name included in a registered name.
I just have a problem with someone telling me what I must do with my property after I purchase it from them.
JKP wrote:So do you tell Ford to change the name on the registration???
No, but Ford doesn't tell me that I can't change the color, tires, radio, ect either. These analogies are a bit far fetched and don't relate to the subject.
wems2371 wrote:So now what if you foul the dog's training up, and show it off to the world as a misfit? It will still carry the breeder's name.
If that's the case nobody will ever know that dog by anything other than it's call name.
wems2371 wrote:That ego/shameless/pathetic verbage can be flipped totally to the other side of the fence as well
Not in the regards of naming another person's pup. I respect your opinion along with every elses as well but I strongly dis-agree with it.

If an English Pointer guy tried to pull off some stipulations like previously mentioned he better have room for alot of un-sold pups. A person is lucky enough to have a trialer take the time to develope a pup from them and put them in the winner's circle. So to attach or attempt to attach any ridiculous stipulations or terms would be futile because nobody would ever agree to them.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:54 am

Different expectations is all.
A bigger market for selling more puppies is not the goal, and not what I'd be looking for a breeder to be concerned about.

Way back at the beginnig of this conversation you may note the the question was not restricting the buyer at all, but only making the buyer CHANGE a name if it was so important rather than being the FIRST one to send in the forms. I think it is geared more towards the buyers that do not care about registration as much, but it also, as explained to me, allows genetic health testing to be completed and assigned to each puppy before you buy. In labs particulary, things like EIC and CNM are still out there as carrier status, and breeders are testing whole litters. Having microchipped, named and tested puppies helps keep track of all that so you can fully inform the buyer, and buyer will not have to retest later under the correct name. The breeder is offering a lot of info and monetary investment up front. Hundreds of dollars in each puppy and not charging more than most other breeders. So the concept of ego/shameless/pathetic is certainly a different direction than I was thinking originally.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Pansy of the Rainbow Woods :lol:
bootlicker deerchaser, now you watch it. That deerchaser is too close to home :roll:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:07 pm

I really couldn't care less what the dog's registered name is.....Especially the prefix. In fact I prefer the breeder's prefix, especially if it is a well known breeder. That being said, it really doesn't matter much to me what name is on the paper. The call name is the only thing I am going to be using and I can make that anything I want. I am surprised this is even a discussion since there are plenty of good litters of different breeds around the country, that it shouldn't be hard to find one who's terms are agreeable to the buyer. And I am pretty sure the successful breeders don't care if a person goes somewhere else because they almost always have a long waiting list and have all puppys sold before they hit the ground anyway.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 pm

birddogger wrote:I really couldn't care less what the dog's registered name is.....Especially the prefix.
Charlie, I would bet every penny that I have that if it was up to you the puppy papers would not even be sent in. I agree that you could'nt care less. You deligently research various litters, narrow it down and eventually make your choice. You get familiar with the breeding and the pedigree and pick up your pup. I hope you take all that as a compliment because that was it's intent :D .

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Ron R wrote:
birddogger wrote:I really couldn't care less what the dog's registered name is.....Especially the prefix.
Charlie, I would bet every penny that I have that if it was up to you the puppy papers would not even be sent in. I agree that you could'nt care less. You deligently research various litters, narrow it down and eventually make your choice. You get familiar with the breeding and the pedigree and pick up your pup. I hope you take all that as a compliment because that was it's intent :D .
Ron, the puppy papers would absolutely be sent in. I want my dogs registered, so I am afraid you would lose your pennies. :D And yes, I do take it as a compliment.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I have read all of this with some interest.

Clearly there are different opinions.

I guess I stand with the idea presented that it is like a car. When you buy a car from
Ford, or whomever, the name is plastered all over the thing. You may change/customize
it because it is yours, like training a dog. You may make it so fast it beats everyone
else at whatever type racing you like. It will still be a Ford and everyone will know it,
even if you remove the badges.

The credit for making it super fast will all be yours. It did not come that way. It did come with
some basic things that you must have liked or you would have bought something else.

The Ford company is proud of their product and want their logo on everything. You buy it knowing this.

If it really bothers you that the breeder wants the kennel name in the registered name, you can buy from someone
who does not make this requirement. If you really want what they have developed, you will have to
comply with their rules, the dog belongs to them until the transaction is complete.

You can then call it anything you like.

I don't know. Just seems simple to me.

Mike

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:43 am

Interesting discussion! I would have no problem with having a kennel name attached to a dog I bought. But again, I'm one who is perfectly fine with "limited registration" if the breeder of the pups feels that for one reason or another, the pup is not breeding material. I know likely the same folks who disagree with a kennel naming it's progeny would disagree with a breeder selling pups on a limited registration. IMO, if you don't like the conditions a kennel sells you a pup under, don't buy one from that breeder. I think it shows due diligence on the kennel's part for the limited registration and a willingness to stand behind their name by attaching a prefix to the dog's registration.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:28 pm

I agree with you Ron, you can't believe some of the terms breeders put in their contacts now days, the last lab I looked at (on this site) required your pick of the litter to be chosen at 4 weeks, and the dog must remain on their dog food for 26 months in order to keep the health guarantee in tack, they also demanded their name on the dog even though the highest title on the 3 generation pedigree was a JH, that was just the tip of the iceberg to comply with the health guarantee you would have to send about $900 in expenses to get $700 back.
This seems over the top....so suggest a way that breeders protect themselves from folks who over feed, neuter too early or are otherwise stupid with young dogs. You know they're gonna lay it at your feet and badmouth your name...so how would you deal with it?

Easy to complain...give us a solution besides I want what I want.

My kennel name will always go on my dogs....if that limits the buyers, so be it. If folks don't want my name on the dog, why would they come to me?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Exactly.
I chose to put the kennel name in my dogs' name ( with the kennels permission) . because I am proud to have a dog from that kennel. A bigger question might be would the kennel owner be proud of the dog carrying his/her name, if the dog turns out to be a "Dudley" ( or the owner)?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:09 pm

JKP wrote:
I agree with you Ron, you can't believe some of the terms breeders put in their contacts now days, the last lab I looked at (on this site) required your pick of the litter to be chosen at 4 weeks, and the dog must remain on their dog food for 26 months in order to keep the health guarantee in tack, they also demanded their name on the dog even though the highest title on the 3 generation pedigree was a JH, that was just the tip of the iceberg to comply with the health guarantee you would have to send about $900 in expenses to get $700 back.
This seems over the top....so suggest a way that breeders protect themselves from folks who over feed, neuter too early or are otherwise stupid with young dogs. You know they're gonna lay it at your feet and badmouth your name...so how would you deal with it?

Easy to complain...give us a solution besides I want what I want.

My kennel name will always go on my dogs....if that limits the buyers, so be it. If folks don't want my name on the dog, why would they come to me?
I always thought that the health guarantee was to protect the buyer not the other way around. If you want suggestions I will tell you what I want when I look for a pup.
1. The price clearly listed, if no price is listed I figure that want some insane amount
2. All terms spelled out on their web page including name rights, limited registration, full account of how the deposit is handled etc., not waiting to try to backdoor the buyer after the deposit is made
3. If you have a health guarantee make it worth more than the paper its written on. After reading the health guarantee in my example I can't imagine how anyone would do business with them.

Thats off the top of my head, I'm sure I can come up with more. When searching for pups I believe about 70% the breeders are above board and 30% are trying to hide something. If you have a 5 page website there is no reason that all terms and conditions including price should not be on there. If you want a way to protect yourself from the buyer I honestly have no idea, but I would rather see someone say "as is/where is" than to see a worthless piece of paper that someone tries to pass off as a guarantee, that's just me.

misti

Post by misti » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:44 am

I am new to the forum, as well as buying pups. My question may be a bit off topic, but I really need some advice. I purchased a pointer pup in November and had it delivered. The pup came with health papers, but no registration. I contacted the breeder and he said he had not sent in for them yet. Since then, I have contacted him, via email, about six times. I have no papers and have not heard back from the breeder. What should I do?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:55 pm

misti wrote:I am new to the forum, as well as buying pups. My question may be a bit off topic, but I really need some advice. I purchased a pointer pup in November and had it delivered. The pup came with health papers, but no registration. I contacted the breeder and he said he had not sent in for them yet. Since then, I have contacted him, via email, about six times. I have no papers and have not heard back from the breeder. What should I do?
Do you know the name of the dam and sire? You can call Field Dog Stud Book and AKC and find out of litter registration has been applied for that is about it
This is a huge pet peeve about breeders that do not have their paper work done as there really isn't anything you can do basically you have an unpapered puppy and that breeder you purchased from make the rest of the breeders who do have paper work in order have a hard time because we have to suffer their laziness or pure lies...

Sorry wish I could give you better news but if a breeder can't have their info by the time a puppy is 7 weeks old turn and run there are breeders that can have their paper work in order
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:40 pm

misti wrote:I am new to the forum, as well as buying pups. My question may be a bit off topic, but I really need some advice. I purchased a pointer pup in November and had it delivered. The pup came with health papers, but no registration. I contacted the breeder and he said he had not sent in for them yet. Since then, I have contacted him, via email, about six times. I have no papers and have not heard back from the breeder. What should I do?
Do you need the papers or is this a hunting dog that won't compete in field trials? Other than chasing down the breeder, there is little you can do yourself. You can't get the papers unless the breeder gets them for you. I'd call him up on the phone...if no response to daily calls, I'd send a registered letter - that might make him move a bit faster. And like above, don't buy a pup unless papers are in hand. There is absolutely no reason the pup shouldn't have had the papers with him when he made the trip to your place.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:32 pm

It doesn't matter anyway what you write on the paperwork you give to the buyer if they are registering the dog online through AKC. I believe I may have the origional paperwork still for my dog. All I used off of it was the number... So the buyer again will do whatever they want.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen,
When I purchase a pup I name it, however I do usually give credit to the breeder buy using his kennel name some place in the dogs name.
Example, Lynn Dee provided a good male Ryman pup for us, the pups name is Pine Creek Fireside Heston, Lynn Dees kennel name is Fireside.
However I do this as a courtesy, no breeder names my dogs, nor will I sign any papers giving the breeder some kind control of the property I just purchased, breeding or other wise. The animal becomes my property once I purchase it.
RGD/Dave

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Ladies & Gentlemen,
When I purchase a pup I name it, however I do usually give credit to the breeder buy using his kennel name some place in the dogs name.
Example, Lynn Dee provided a good male Ryman pup for us, the pups name is Pine Creek Fireside Heston, Lynn Dees kennel name is Fireside.
However I do this as a courtesy, no breeder names my dogs, nor will I sign any papers giving the breeder some kind control of the property I just purchased, breeding or other wise. The animal becomes my property once I purchase it.
RGD/Dave
Very true but you seem to forget the breeder is selling you his property which he may have named. Then it is the buyer's option as to whether he will buy it or not. But in no way did anyone name your property.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.