Nstra trials

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Nstra trials

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 pm

I had the opportunity to revisit the NSTRA format today thanks to a kind invitation from K-nine. She hosted a trial today and I stopped in as I was working in Phoenix. I saw some really good dog work that was not breed specific and a format with a truly low barrier to entry. I hope the venue continues to grow ... I think it is something that really appeals to a lot of pointing dog owners. Thanks again Arlette.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Nstra trials

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Was great to see you again....Wish you could have stayed to watched Yoties run...She ended up in third place her evil twin appeared for a little bit and she was a bad girl on the 6th bird. :evil:

Hope you had fun
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Sounds like fun and would have ran in one the other week. But with $35 for the brace and $50 to join its $85 to enter for one run. Ehhh ill just enter a gun dog stake and save the 35. Maybe if they cut out the $50 there would be more people joining.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 pm

The 50 dollars is a once a year fee...

They should come up with something where a person can try it out before having to shell out a full membership...But hey that just might make to much sense :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Lol ya its once a year... Prob will only make one a year also :wink:

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Just joined NSTRA a couple months ago and planning to go to a trial near here in March and enter my dog in the Fall. Looks like a lot of fun and a good 'gateway drug' for future trial involvement. Super excited :lol:
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:01 am

Gertie wrote:Just joined NSTRA a couple months ago and planning to go to a trial near here in March and enter my dog in the Fall. Looks like a lot of fun and a good 'gateway drug' for future trial involvement. Super excited :lol:
It is and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:19 am

Gertie, do you know which one your going to? I think the earliest is Mike O's trial.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:47 am

NSTRA trials look like they would be pretty fun.

$50 isn't bad at all....even if you only run once a year.

I'll have to check the rules but I wonder if I could run my mutt in a NSTRA trial?

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:22 am

It costs me around forty bucks to take my kids to Dairy Queen anymore, so the $50 annual membership fee seems pretty reasonable, as do the brace fees. Good organization, lots of fun.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 am

ckirsch wrote:It costs me around forty bucks to take my kids to Dairy Queen anymore, so the $50 annual membership fee seems pretty reasonable, as do the brace fees. Good organization, lots of fun.
+1. I intended to make it down to Coolidge this weekend, but got wrapped up changing seals in the lower unit of the boat. :cry:

I know the Arizona chapter of NSTRA is very active, and that Arlette is a central figure. I plan to make it to some events down there, and think it would be a blast to enter my dog when it's ready. Sorry I missed you, Joe, it would have been great to meet you!

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:52 am

rkappes wrote:NSTRA trials look like they would be pretty fun.

$50 isn't bad at all....even if you only run once a year.

I'll have to check the rules but I wonder if I could run my mutt in a NSTRA trial?
NSTRA is great fun. No mutts allowed though, sorry.
8.04 A dog must be eligible to be registered with a recognized
registry to enter any NSTRA trial.
a. NSTRA recognizes the NSTRA, AKC (no PAL/
ILP registered dogs), FDSB, and CKC (Canadian
Kennel Club) registries. However, regardless of
which registry is used, the dog must be eligible
to be registered in the NSTRA registry as a
recognized pointing dog breed to be entered in any
NSTRA trial.
b . Owners having dog registration pending will be
responsible for completion of registration within
(30) days of placement.
c. No placements will be recorded until the
registration number is forwarded to the National
Office(NSTRA, AKC [no PAL/ILP registered
dogs], FDSB, CKC [Canadian Kennel Club]).
After sixty (60) days, if no registration number has
been received and/or verification that one exists,
the placement will be void and all placements will be adjusted.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 am

kninebirddog wrote:The 50 dollars is a once a year fee...

They should come up with something where a person can try it out before having to shell out a full membership...But hey that just might make to much sense :wink:
Perhaps the amateur trials could be opened up to non-members. Our region tries to put on at least one amateur trial each year. I may suggest that to our region president to see if it's an idea worth asking national about.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 am

nhachman wrote:

Perhaps the amateur trials could be opened up to non-members. Our region tries to put on at least one amateur trial each year. I may suggest that to our region president to see if it's an idea worth asking national about.
I don't think there is anything keeping any club from putting on an amature trial, allowing anyone in and sponsering it themselves. Been a long time since I was in NSTRA so I'm not sure what an amature is? Not allowing an amature trial would be like not allowing a training day!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 am

I have put on two NSTRA "FUN TRIALs" here in Maine. I had fun. I judged the second with a friend of mine that had played before as I have as well. The first trial, I had One judge from VA come up and he worked with the other guy from the second trial.

I did this to try to get folks interested in starting a New England region. Each day of the weekend I only had 6 to 8 braces. I have had some ask for me to do it again, however I am not interested in it unless more folks and more grounds are available and folks need to sign up. I do not want two trials a year. I could not understand why it did not take off up here there is plenty of grounds lots of bird dogs.

I think if you have an established region fun trials would be a great way to get new members. One day trial.

Anyway. Those that played had fun but were not willing to travel anywhere else. :roll:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 am

DonF wrote:
nhachman wrote:

I don't think there is anything keeping any club from putting on an amature trial, allowing anyone in and sponsering it themselves. Been a long time since I was in NSTRA so I'm not sure what an amature is? Not allowing an amature trial would be like not allowing a training day!
An amateur trial in NSTRA is for dogs that have not earned any Open points. You can (Amateur) champion a dog in amateur trials. I guess if the amateur trial won't be worth any points it would just be a fun trial, which would not need to be sanctioned. One problem with that is that it would not be covered under the NSTRA event insurance so you'd be open to any liability unless you are otherwise covered. My club (Kansas City Bird Dog Club) is exploring the feasibility of putting on a fun trial so we'll see what comes of that.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 am

DonF wrote:Gertie, do you know which one your going to? I think the earliest is Mike O's trial.
There's actually an earlier trial up by Kenewick but I doubt that I'll make that one. I'll definitely be going to the Wamic trial just to check things out but I don't think Gert will be ready to run yet. Probably enter her in the Fall trials but I haven't seen the schedule.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

ST8 UPPOINTERS

Post by ST8 UPPOINTERS » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:49 am

I'll be running in kennewick! :D

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I've gotten pretty involved in the Lone Star Region amd I really enjoy it. Great people out there. Some of the experienced handlers have helped me do some training on the side with my dogs. I've planted birds and ran a few times. I'm actually planting the regional trial and I'm very excited about it. NSTRA is a great way to connect with other bird doggers and the actually trial is more of a competitive actual hunting situation than any other venue I've seen. The more I learn about it the more I like it! :D

steamer

Post by steamer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:40 pm

we have club trials here at amo bird dog club. its run under nstra format. its a good way to get started. we have a puppy and an aa stake. puppy is up to two years old before the season starts. season runs sept - may. points add up . puppies get a little leeway. you can run an e collar you just dont get scored. some do this and use it as a training run.it also helps keep people interested in the club.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Gertie wrote:
DonF wrote:Gertie, do you know which one your going to? I think the earliest is Mike O's trial.
There's actually an earlier trial up by Kenewick but I doubt that I'll make that one. I'll definitely be going to the Wamic trial just to check things out but I don't think Gert will be ready to run yet. Probably enter her in the Fall trials but I haven't seen the schedule.
That's the Tri Cities Club. Good people but a bit to far for me right now. See ya at Wamic if not before.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:39 pm

ST8 UPPOINTERS wrote:I'll be running in kennewick! :D
I pronably don't know you, not Tom Medley by chance?

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:21 pm

do they run any NSTRA close to West KY?

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Fester wrote:do they run any NSTRA close to West KY?
Check out the regions here, there are quite a few in the KY area but not sure how close they are to you.

http://www.nstra.org/nstra_regions.htm

KY, Mid South, and Dixie. There may be others too such as IL that may be close.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

DonF wrote:
ST8 UPPOINTERS wrote:I'll be running in kennewick! :D
I pronably don't know you, not Tom Medley by chance?
lol Don, Tom doesn't even know how to turn on a computer, let alone an e-mail or spend time on a forum. Heck, Tom doesn't even have a cell phone!!!!!!!

USMC

Post by USMC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm

I wish there was a trial close to me!

Assuming my DD could be entered! He has speed, thunder, lightning and a nice search. :wink: been watching a Muhamed Ali special! We could learn a lot more... The flea butting mutt is almost two yes old! 8)

Finelinegundogs

Post by Finelinegundogs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 am

Also for that annual membership you get the magazine and access to list on nstra's online classifieds for free.

It's a great venue and I have met some great people through it.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:21 am

[

I'll have to check the rules but I wonder if I could run my mutt in a NSTRA trial?[/quote]

NSTRA trial.
(30) days of placement.
[/quote]

It would be worth looking into offering a trial for non-registered dogs. The hunting dog challenge that we (Quail Forever) holds in Kansas City draws a lot of folks that have unregistered dogs - we fill up totally, both days usually. Many are rescues, some are not...just bought from the guy who didn't keep up with paperwork. It would be nice to offer a venue for those that have hunting dogs and want to try NSTRA.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm

RoostersMom wrote:[

NSTRA trial.
(30) days of placement.
[/quote]

It would be worth looking into offering a trial for non-registered dogs. The hunting dog challenge that we (Quail Forever) holds in Kansas City draws a lot of folks that have unregistered dogs - we fill up totally, both days usually. Many are rescues, some are not...just bought from the guy who didn't keep up with paperwork. It would be nice to offer a venue for those that have hunting dogs and want to try NSTRA.[/quote]

It would be awesome to have a trial for non-registered dogs. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade our little mutt for the world but looking back I probably would've of held off and got a registerable dog so I could run in a trial here and there. Something fun to do during the off season. When we got our pup I was only interested in hunting and not trialing. Now after training, bird hunting and learning about the different trials I've become more and more interested in giving trials a go. I think I'm finally going to send in a PAL/ILP for my mutt, although doesn't count for NSTRA, looks like I could run in AKC hunt tests?

I'm thinking of giving my first trial a shot in March with my dads pup. I don't know much about trials but I think they would be a lot of fun. I'd like to give it a shot at least once.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:24 pm

I've run several fosters and a current shelter dog in AKC hunt tests - it's great that they allow ILP dogs to compete. Nobody would say mine were mixes, they're pure English Pointer - but they can only run in hunt tests. We have fun though!