Moderators............

bigsugar

Moderators............

Post by bigsugar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:26 pm

I know this is a gundog site but there are more then a few folks here who trial their gundogs. Is there any way we can have a field trial forum added here where we can talk trialing without having to do it in the general forum. I think there are some folks here who have a lot to offer in the way of tips and advice on trialing whether it be all age, AKC or NSTRA or whatever. Just a thought.

Rhonda

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: Moderators............

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Good idea Rhonda and I asked for the same thing for the Retriever folks on here not because I have Retrievers, I have Pointers, but in hopes of pulling in some more knowlegeable experts on Retrievers and to give them a place to discuss their particular issues. I was politely told that we all needed to play together in the same sandbox and there was no need to segregate people and dogs on here. By the way tell Andy I said hi and to give me a call and let me know if anything has changed on picking up those pups for him. Have a good day.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:48 pm

Good idea, I like it.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:06 pm

If we are trying to start a petition consider this my signature in agreement to the recommendation. I think aforum about trialing tips and how to's and anything else that is trial applicable would be great.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:17 pm

Yeah, we can have general chat and trial chat, ect. I wouldn't think that it would be much work.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:34 pm

NC Quailhunter wrote:...consider this my signature in agreement to the recommendation.
+1

rockyridge kennels

Post by rockyridge kennels » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:42 pm

+1

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:57 pm

I believe you have that now. You are welcome to start a thread about any topic you want. Maybe like handling in a trial or what do you look for in a puppy for trialing. Pick your topic and have at it. There isn't much else we can do for you since we are not going to tell any of you that you aren't allowed to look or post in a certain thread. But our main purpose remains a learning place for newcomers to any venue of the gundog world and that includes people that are interested in any all venues plus any and all types of dogs.

Happy New Year

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:42 pm

I think that if you developed a dedicated Field Trial area to duscuss all aspects of trialing that it may help to curve the pissing matches that often occur whenever trialing gets talked about on this board. This is a gundog board, I get that but there is a small faction of us that like to trial that would like to be able to discuss trialing in a forum with like minded individuals. I, for one, don't have much in common with most of the folks on this board. We aren't running or even looking for the same type of dog that 95% of the folks on this board are looking for. I just think it would be neat to be able to have our own space where we can discuss what we like to do. If others want to come and join in and learn something or add something it could be a valuable part to this message board in my opinion.

We don't have that now ezzy.

Rhonda

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:55 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I believe you have that now. You are welcome to start a thread about any topic you want. Maybe like handling in a trial or what do you look for in a puppy for trialing. Pick your topic and have at it. There isn't much else we can do for you since we are not going to tell any of you that you aren't allowed to look or post in a certain thread. But our main purpose remains a learning place for newcomers to any venue of the gundog world and that includes people that are interested in any all venues plus any and all types of dogs.

Happy New Year

Ezzy

There's a whole "hunting" section on this board. So why isn't all that posted in general topics?

I think a new trialing section is a good idea. It could cut down on a bunch of the p'ing contests, or at least the trialers would only be p'ing on each other :D

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:01 pm

I thought there was already a forum just for field trialers. Looks like it has everything a trialer could ask for but not much activity, must be paradise over there...... 8)

http://www.thefieldtrialer.com
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:35 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:I thought there was already a forum just for field trialers. Looks like it has everything a trialer could ask for but not much activity, must be paradise over there...... 8)

:) :) :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:22 pm

shags wrote:I think a new trialing section is a good idea. It could cut down on a bunch of the p'ing contests, or at least the trialers would only be p'ing on each other :D
You'd take away some of their fun though! There is small minority of trialers seem to enjoy p'ing on the testers/hunters (who are usually less knowledgeable). It must make them feel superior.

I think by separating them out, you'd end up reducing the discussions - as you see on the Fieldtrialer.com forum, they don't seem to talk that much among themselves - maybe they don't want to give up competitive secrets, who knows?

Myself, I'd rather have as much dog knowledge as possible in one place - and try to have a thick skin about how it gets delivered by a minority.

Most trialers are immensely helpful, and humble in the way they support those of us who may be less experienced in gun dog training.

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:58 pm

AzDoggin wrote:There is small minority of trialers seem to enjoy p'ing on the testers/hunters (who are usually less knowledgeable). It must make them feel superior.
It might help eliminate this type of post on an otherwise good topic. Who knows.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:07 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:I thought there was already a forum just for field trialers. Looks like it has everything a trialer could ask for but not much activity, must be paradise over there...... 8)

Same thing I was thinking.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:49 pm

So if people want to talk field trialing they should have to leave and go to another forum?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:55 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Myself, I'd rather have as much dog knowledge as possible in one place - and try to have a thick skin about how it gets delivered.
+1

If you do a trial category, then you better put up a NAVHDA category, a german testing category, a retriever category and so on and so forth. I guarantee that one venue getting special treatment will result in others asking for it too, even if it's just for the sake of fairness. After all, every other venue has to participate in the general topics here.

I think everybody recognizes a true peeing match for what it is, even if they can't help but participate. :roll: But good debate, despite views not agreeing with your opinion, has value. It educates those of us less learned and helps us to form our own ideas, having read about experiences and opinions from BOTH sides of the fence. Separate it out, and you'll more than likely have a smaller audience. Yes, maybe everyone can pat each other on the back unchallenged. But will those of us who gloss over the mass categories now, picking out headlines of interest, decide we don't have time to delve into a separate forum category for a venue we're not sure if we're interested in? You may say that's exactly what you want present, is diehards. In hearing here, about a sport that needs more new blood, that seems self limiting. I don't know, but am throwing some thoughts out, because I know exactly what I do when I open a forum page that has things broken down by a gnats arse, and I am actually interested in learning about most everything dog related. And when I visit forums like that, and I can think of 2, those individual categories have very little movement.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:09 pm

bigsugar wrote:So if people want to talk field trialing they should have to leave and go to another forum?

You have only been here a short time with very few posts but the truth is there are a large number of the active members on here that are trialers. It has always been that way. This is a gundog forum and you are welcome to talk about and do anything with your gundog you would like. And it seems that what we do is very successful and it would be foolish to go to a format that IS ALREADY ON THE NET AND IS NOT VERY SUCCESSFUL. Truth be known the reason you and most everyone else are here because it is about the only place you can find someone on and available anytime of the day to talk to or answer your questions. I don't see any reason we should change a format that is the best on the net.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Couldn't the events sections be used to post topics regarding FT/Navhda/Hunt test info?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:22 pm

ACooper wrote:Couldn't the events sections be used to post topics regarding FT/Navhda/Hunt test info?
You can have a field trial topic in general Chat as well as anyplace else.

Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:40 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
ACooper wrote:Couldn't the events sections be used to post topics regarding FT/Navhda/Hunt test info?
You can have a field trial topic in general Chat as well as anyplace else.

Ezzy
Agreed, I was just thinking if they didn't want to post in general chat. I use the "view active topics" link anyway, so I never really pay much attention to what section a topics is posted in.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:55 pm

wems2371 wrote:
AzDoggin wrote:Myself, I'd rather have as much dog knowledge as possible in one place - and try to have a thick skin about how it gets delivered.
+1

If you do a trial category, then you better put up a NAVHDA category, a german testing category, a retriever category and so on and so forth. I guarantee that one venue getting special treatment will result in others asking for it too, even if it's just for the sake of fairness. After all, every other venue has to participate in the general topics here.

I think everybody recognizes a true peeing match for what it is, even if they can't help but participate. :roll: But good debate, despite views not agreeing with your opinion, has value. It educates those of us less learned and helps us to form our own ideas, having read about experiences and opinions from BOTH sides of the fence. Separate it out, and you'll more than likely have a smaller audience. Yes, maybe everyone can pat each other on the back unchallenged. But will those of us who gloss over the mass categories now, picking out headlines of interest, decide we don't have time to delve into a separate forum category for a venue we're not sure if we're interested in? You may say that's exactly what you want present, is diehards. In hearing here, about a sport that needs more new blood, that seems self limiting. I don't know, but am throwing some thoughts out, because I know exactly what I do when I open a forum page that has things broken down by a gnats arse, and I am actually interested in learning about most everything dog related. And when I visit forums like that, and I can think of 2, those individual categories have very little movement.

Well said. My thoughts too.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:59 pm

Does that make my posts less important then yours ezzy.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:04 am

bigsugar wrote:Does that make my posts less important then yours ezzy.
no, but he's right.
When you first posted the requst I thought it was a good idea until I thought about it more. I like the way things are here.

edit:
If someone wasn't into trialing they might not go into that part of the forum and in doing so, miss the wealth of information that is provided.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:12 am

One of the things I like about this kind of forum is that it helps cross fertilize the ideas and methods from so many different branches of gun dog training. I believe that to be a good thing so I'd keep things the way they are.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:15 am

Trekmoor wrote:One of the things I like about this kind of forum is that it helps cross fertilize the ideas and methods from so many different branches of gun dog training. I believe that to be a good thing so I'd keep things the way they are.

Bill T.
I agree, the diversity is it's strength (and occasionally its' weakness :twisted: )

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:37 am

i wouldn't have a problem with a Trialing forum except that almost 10 years experience moderating here makes me think that it would be a real bear to keep on track. Then, Hunt Tests, NAVHDA, NSTRA, et al, would each logically go to their own forums...nothing good from that, I think.

Please put Event information including results in Events. Brags in Brags. Horse discussion in Horses. General trial and test discussion in General Chat.

Greg J

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:22 pm

I do actually like the fact that there is a cross section of dog folks here. There are a lot of topics that can benefit from being looked at from many viewpoints.

It is also kinda funny that when a controversial topic is broached and the diehard (fill in the blank) gets into it with the diehard(fill in the OTHER blank)... what often surfaces during the ensuing catfight is some information that would never have been brought out otherwise.

Occasionally a real gem surfaces...bubbling up from amongst all the bombast and Bull(stuff). I like that.

Sure you have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff, but why should this mode of communication be any different from any other? We are bombarded with self serving BS, sales pitches, government and institutionally sponsored propaganda and a fai amount of out and out lies, at every turn in the real world. Most of us have learned so sift through that, so figuring out what is of value on this board and what is composed of horse apples, shouldn't be all that difficult.

RayG