Inbreeding or Linebreeding?

t-setter

Inbreeding or Linebreeding?

Post by t-setter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:21 am

Is breeding a half-brother to a half-sister considered inbreeding or linebreeding. I had been considering purchasing a puppy this spring but am having reservations after learning that the pairing involves two dogs that shared the same sire. What are the potential problems that could occur with this type of breeding, and as these problems visible in an 8-week-old pup?

rinker

Re: Inbreeding or Linebreeding?

Post by rinker » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:44 pm

I don't know the correct terminology but it is commonly done. I would have no hesitation in taking a puppy from this kind of breeding. In fact, the best dog that I have ever owned had only one grand dam.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Obviously the breeder feels that the possible benefits outweigh the possible downfalls. Why don't you ask him what he considers the benefits and pitfalls?

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:51 pm

IMO...it would depend on the breeder's knowledge of the pedigree. The co-efficient could actually be quite a bit higher depending on what the rest of the pedigree looks like. If this is a breeder with a track record of success who knows or has been breeding these lines, sounds like a good deal....this kind of breeding is often done as rinker said.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Most of the Top dogs and also some National Champions(field trial)were out of those type breedings back in the 70's -80's.(Same father but different mothers)
Don't know why knowedgable breeders don't do it anymore.I always considsered them line breedings.If you breed a male and female from the same father but different mothers you're linebreeding back on the male in my opinion.Some will call it inbreeding,but the different genetics from the mothers takes it out of that catagory also in my opinion.
Dog On Point!!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:51 am

Unless the pups have two heads or are really good at Dueling Banjoes, I wouldn't worry about a tight breeding if I liked the parents/bloodline.

edb

Post by edb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:30 am

My 11 week old pup from Bergs has same grand sire. Nice pup.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:36 am

From a previous post somewhere, sometime, some how.

It's linebreeding if it works and inbreeding if it doesn't.