Inbreeding Coefficiency

Stoneface

Inbreeding Coefficiency

Post by Stoneface » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Okay, I don't want to start a war of why you do or don't put stock into pedigrees or how much you can tell from a pedigree.

Does anyone here run inbreeding coefficiency audits on prospective breedings? Have you found it to be any kind of an asset? Why or why not?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

LaTexCLB

Re: Inbreeding Coefficiency

Post by LaTexCLB » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:47 am

My latest addition was a half-brother / half-sister mating that will have a pretty high I.C. Not only does she have a common grand-sire, but the mother-lines are very similar as well. I've liked what I've seen so far - but as a young pup a little to early to tell. Would like to take her back to a son of DC Shill Rest's Impressive in 1.5 to 2 years if she develops out like I think she should. At that time, I would like to run the I.C.

I know several of the "Greif" and "Hustler" GSP line breeders seem to take the effort of tracking the I.C. of their litters.
Impressive KaZoya Rusty Mia Reduxx http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genedit.php?id=4133

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:52 am

I do not use it, I just look at pedigrees.Do not need a program to tell me whats a percentage, if I like it I do it.
brenda

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:25 am

I used to think pedigrees had a big part in it, after owning 3 AF CH sired dogs that really weren't birddogs..............I put way more stock in individual performance than whats on the paper.

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Have never bred "Numbers" have always bred "Dog Flesh"

Robert

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:07 pm

@ Brenda and Bob

I am not picking a fight but while you do not calculate IC's literally you do it subconsciously that is all. When you look at a pedigree you see how its stacked top and bottom, immediately notice common ancestors top and bottom and kind of do the math in your head. Now at the same time, you are thinking of what all of those dogs that you are lining up may or may not bring to the table.

If I am wrong please tell me so you know I am just an old cajun :wink: :mrgreen:
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:07 pm

A high COI can be a good thing or a bad thing. It depends almost entirely on the dogs being bred.

I do not flinch at COIs approaching 20... if the dogs being bred are producing what I want. Look at the individuals, the COI is just another bit of data.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33 am

Wenaha, you said when a COI "approaching 20". I'm not too terribly familiary with the coefficient and all I pretty much know is that it measures how much of each ancestor is contributing to the breeding. I'm always running a coefficiency ( http://www.czerwonytrop.com/inb/index.p ... =ok&lng=en ) and it basically gives a influence percentage for each member of the pedigree.

How do you read the "inbreeding percentage"? How is it measured? How do you read the AVK? What does it mean?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:53 am

Frank,
I never do the math in my head at all. If I like how the pedigree looks and what I see in the Dog Flesh , I look and see how it will compliament what I am breeding it to. Then I make the breeding if I like what I see. I never look at the numbers. It is just that a number or to some a selling tool.

95% of those out there breeding High IC's truely don't know what the are breeding on. Many of them have never had there hands on or seen these dogs in the flesh that they are getting that tight on.

Robert

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:43 am

I've run a couple of the numbers on my dogs, but to be honest.... I just don't get it. Math has never been my strong suit!
If you know your pedigrees, know the dogs in the pedigrees, then I don't know what this % or numbers is supposed to help us with. I think it's part of the AR movement to be honest.... those against linebreeding or those who just don't understand the importance of it have put it out there to make us and others think we are doing something bad.

Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Like previous posters, numbers do not tell u what they offer...I like to see the dogs that are bred upon offering what I want to see or need. Pedigree breeders lose out on the traits and just look at paper. I look at dogs.
brenda

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:30 pm

I owned one that sported a 22.5 coi, And I'd have another 10 just like him if I could,I did a good old boy breeding and bred him to a dandy fine performing female,never bothered to even compare paperwork on her.The litter produced two and they are both very very good birddogs.
Wenaha wrote:A high COI can be a good thing or a bad thing. It depends almost entirely on the dogs being bred.

I do not flinch at COIs approaching 20... if the dogs being bred are producing what I want. Look at the individuals, the COI is just another bit of data.