headed to oklahoma for a week friday

mmbrown

headed to oklahoma for a week friday

Post by mmbrown » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:49 pm

I grew up in oklahoma panhandle to be exact. I have 4000 acres to run my lil 7 month old girl out of ch erins kentucky gambler x a female out of ch top crude. My little brothers hunted Saturday and got into 5 coveys and Sunday got into 4 coveys. I'm curious what I should expect spending a week down there running my dog since the blizzard. I have had my little brothers throwing out grain for the bird so the have food since before the blizzard so I'm curious what to expect since the blizzard has blown threw. My female is run every weekend on pen raised quail and pigeons and is doing good. I'm really excited but I'm curious what I should expect for her first time on wild birds.

Thanks
Matt brown

Stoneface

Re: headed to oklahoma for a week friday

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 pm

I went to Guymon for a visit because I was going to transfer to OPSU for the bird population. I wound up not being able to go, but called some friends out that way to see if I could get access to some land for a weekend trip. They said to not even trouble with it. This guy has a family farm and hunts all the time, but said he's not going out any more. We were talking about Pheasant, but I have another friend (I think he's on this board, even) that said if he did happen to find some quail he would dare take a bird.

Either way, I hope you find a bunch!
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:31 am

Sucks here this year. I think the pheasant are worse off than the quail. I run the dogs about once a week just to get them out but it is useless to expect to find any birds. Drought really kicked their asses this year. Good luck though. If you would like to get together and run dogs I am more than willing to do that though. I have a 15,000 acre ranch I hunt on over by Texhoma. Don't expect to see many if any birds but if you are intersted in running dogs together drop me a PM.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:09 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Sucks here this year. I think the pheasant are worse off than the quail. I run the dogs about once a week just to get them out but it is useless to expect to find any birds. Drought really kicked their asses this year. Good luck though. If you would like to get together and run dogs I am more than willing to do that though. I have a 15,000 acre ranch I hunt on over by Texhoma. Don't expect to see many if any birds but if you are intersted in running dogs together drop me a PM.
tommyboy, I live in NE Oklahoma. I have never hunted pheasant but wanted to this year for the first time. I ended up not going because I heard there were no birds. It is sad what the drought has done to them.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Garfield anf Noble Counties got a decent rating for phez sightings the first part of this week. Duck hunter told me, so take it for what it's worth. :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:37 pm

Counties back east of the panhandle got a bit more rain this summer than us but are not normally noted for pheasant hunting. Beaver and Texas counties especially Texas county where I live are really noted for their pheasant numbers here in Oklahoma and even north of us 40 miles or so up in Morton county Kansas are usually phez hunting destinations but this is just a horrible year. Between the drought and the wildfires we had here this year bird numbers are way way down and are gonna take some time to come back.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Salt Plains up to the Kansas line got some good reports, too, from another source.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Grant, Noble, Kay, and Garfield are all way down from last year. At least the areas that I hunt. Been a very disappointing year.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:21 pm

ACooper wrote:Grant, Noble, Kay, and Garfield are all way down from last year. At least the areas that I hunt. Been a very disappointing year.
Medford has been the go to for my peeps for a decade. They called it fail and are sticking to ducks for the remainder if the season.