Pups are gross

Gertie

Pups are gross

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Just another day in the life of Gertie... We went for a walk down by the river and I bumped into a friend, while I was talking I noticed Gertie had something 'floppy' in her mouth. Turns out it was a small dead trout. Before I could get it away from her she ate the whole thing, head and all :roll: Who knows how long that fish had been out there but she seems fine so far. We'll be monitoring the back end for a while to see how everything comes out... Gross. Beyond the obvious possibility of intestinal woes due to this little indiscretion, can anyone think of anything I need to be concerned with?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pups are gross

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:47 pm

You are going to have to watch a pup loke that very carefully. Next thing you know she will try to eat out of the cats litter box, help you clean the horse barn, roll in the cow lot, and worse yet eat some corn. A gross pup like yours usually grows up to be a grossly normal dog that likes things dogs like and not what you think they should like. GROSS
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Pancreatitis.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:53 pm

What would the symptoms for pancreatis look like? How soon would I be able to see it symptoms? Should I get her into the vet?
'Gertie'

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Gertie wrote:What would the symptoms for pancreatis look like? How soon would I be able to see it symptoms? Should I get her into the vet?

If the pup is acting fine don't worry over her eating something gross..I doubt seriously that your pup would come down with pancreatis by eating one dead trout http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdise ... atitis.htm
maybe some bad breathe but that is a dog for you
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

MTJoe

Post by MTJoe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Just be glad it wasnt a porcupine, or one of the many EHD killed whitetails we had here in NE Montana, or the dead skunk they found, if the dog is acting fine, chances are it will be ok. Biggest problem I had with fish was with dorsal spines in the roof of the mouth!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks kninebirddog. Checked out the link and will keep an eye on her.
'Gertie'

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Salmon poisoning could be a possibility.

It's fatal unless treated. Only dogs are affected by it.

It comes from a ricketsial organism and is carried by fish like salmon and trout in the Pacific Northwest.

Give your vet a call and let him know that your pup got into raw fish. Your vet will guide you as to whether or not to start treatment, if it's necessary.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:58 pm

I will bet there have been thousands of dogs that have eaten rotten fish and meat of every descriptions and probably less than one tenth of one percent have evr experience a problem from it. Could happen but lightning could strike or you win the lottery might be more of a concern. Nice thing is most eat that kind of stuff when we aren't looking.

I hope you check her fairly carefully everyday when you feed her so just keep doing what we all do.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks all.
'Gertie'

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:39 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I will bet there have been thousands of dogs that have eaten rotten fish and meat of every descriptions and probably less than one tenth of one percent have evr experience a problem from it. Could happen but lightning could strike or you win the lottery might be more of a concern. Nice thing is most eat that kind of stuff when we aren't looking.

I hope you check her fairly carefully everyday when you feed her so just keep doing what we all do.

Ezzy
+1

I'd have quite a phone bill if I called the vet every time my dogs ate something gross.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:53 pm

You aren't even close to gross yet mom! I've had several dogs that liked to catch mice and eat them, most of my dogs have viewed road apples as a treat, had one dog actually ate a porcupine. Duke was here a few days last week and he came to me with a little tail hanging out of his mouth. D**n live mouse! I clean the pigeon pens every day and dump the buckets a couple times a week. Squirt and Bodie absolutely love pigeon crap! When Bodie was a pup he came in with a chunk of rotten meat in his mouth, he had found a dead elk. couple days later Squirt found it! There are fossils all over here that they drag in to chew on. Ain't puppies great! :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:59 pm

My old Lab would follow the cat around with a sheepish grin on his face... :twisted: We called him the "Turd Burglar"... :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Yup. They're pretty awesome :wink: Best part was after I got her in the car I realized that prior to eating the thing she gave herself a nice rub on it. The aroma in the car was pretty sweet.
'Gertie'

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:04 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:My old Lab would follow the cat around with a sheepish grin on his face... :twisted: We called him the "Turd Burglar"... :lol:
LOL :lol:
'Gertie'

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Gertie wrote:Yup. They're pretty awesome :wink: Best part was after I got her in the car I realized that prior to eating the thing she gave herself a nice rub on it. The aroma in the car was pretty sweet.
Didn't she give you a little kiss too? :P They usually do that to mee o9nly after they've eaten something gross of get done clesning themselves! :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

MTJoe

Post by MTJoe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Back in KS my wife let the dogs in to feed them while I was gone, annie had a toad in her mouth and put it right at moms feet, mom was not impressed! :D

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:10 pm

nldd

Post by nldd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Gertie ,don"t fuss about the pup eating fish, cuzzz that"s what all the great dog food companys are putting in it any way,and he will a shiny coat. :lol: :lol: :lol: