Living in venomous snake territory

goalie805

Living in venomous snake territory

Post by goalie805 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 pm

I live in Florida and was wondering, what is the magic temperature that you can stop worrying about snakebites. I haven't had the oppertunity to get a snake to "snakeproof" train him yet. I have been trying to avoid temperatures over 60 F (basically hunting for a couple hours starting at dawn) as I think this is a safe bet, but was wondering if anyone had encountered problems at lower temps than this or had other knowledge.

ohmymy111

Re: Living in venomous snake territory

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:12 pm

I depart the frozen hinterlands of Noth dakota for the tropics of Georgia for part of the winter. I was told by a Vet in Georgia, that works with plantation hunting dogs, that they can see snakes out in the 40s. They won't be real active, but you can never truly be certain you won't come across one. I would suggest instead of snake breaking your dog yourself, have someone do it for you that has experience doing it. I have a friend in Montana snake break all my dogs, and he has done probably 1000s of them. To me it is well worth the little money that it costs
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:23 pm

My eleven-year-old went out to get the newspaper one morning last month, and almost stepped on rattlesnake coiled up on our front step. I would never had guessed that any snakes were still above ground in South Dakota that late in the season - the temp had dropped to twenty the night before, and it was only around forty when she found the snake. Evidently they're not as temperature-sensitive as I had believed....

goalie805

Post by goalie805 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:33 pm

I know they are still around at cooler temps, especially in FL, I guess I am asking at what temp they are active and alert enough to strike.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:49 pm

goalie805 wrote:I live in Florida and was wondering, what is the magic temperature that you can stop worrying about snakebites. I haven't had the oppertunity to get a snake to "snakeproof" train him yet. I have been trying to avoid temperatures over 60 F (basically hunting for a couple hours starting at dawn) as I think this is a safe bet, but was wondering if anyone had encountered problems at lower temps than this or had other knowledge.
PM me if you want the contact information for a vet who is well known for doing snake avoidance training: he lives in Alachua.

Meanwhile, we were recently told by a herpatologist (guy who works with venomous snakes) that when it gets into the 50s they tend not to be very active. You can find out more here: http://www.sdnhm.org/research/herpetolo ... .html#temp

Bonne chance,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:30 pm

The county in which you live should have someone with knowledge of the local dangerous critters. Around here it's the county extension agent - they are amazingly helpful and knowledgeable. Pretty sure they are biologists.

I definitely agree with the snake aversion training, though. "bleep" nasty things.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:13 pm

My dog was bitten in mid October, I know of others who have had dogs bitten in January when it was in the 40's. It's very unlikely to happen, but the risk is there.

Incidentally, a particularly bad time might be the days after a cold snap. Once the temp rises, snakes can tend to come out to warm themselves.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:01 pm

I got hit twice by the same snake before I even new what was going on last year I had on snake boots but it was right after the second freeze last year he was in the brush dog went right by him and I stepped right on him he did not have the energy to rattle but meant it when i stepped on him.I don't think snakes are going under in florida these days.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I've run across W. Diamondbacks out in early Nov. at 35-40 degrees in W. Kansas. Pretty sluggish though.