SKY WAS BLACK THIS MORNING!

kbshorthairs

SKY WAS BLACK THIS MORNING!

Post by kbshorthairs » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 am

I hate that the quail and pheasant population has been trending down, but this morning the skies around my house were black with geese! Within 3 miles of my house, I probably saw 10,000 geese and 300 ducks. It sure would be nice to have a similar comeback of the upland species.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: SKY WAS BLACK THIS MORNING!

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:12 am

kbshorthairs wrote:I hate that the quail and pheasant population has been trending down, but this morning the skies around my house were black with geese! Within 3 miles of my house, I probably saw 10,000 geese and 300 ducks. It sure would be nice to have a similar comeback of the upland species.
Same here, we have an abundance amount of waterfowl but you couldnt find an upland bird here to save your life, and i mean not one :( farmers plow the fields with one wheel hanging in the ditch here, no cover, no food, no birds..ducks and geese by the thousands...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:24 am

Mossberg 835 3.5" with a Modified choke and get the dogs to work. Cheap to start and maybe a couple decoys. Shorthairs will do this too.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 am

Dirtysailor wrote:Mossberg 835 3.5" with a Modified choke and get the dogs to work. Cheap to start and maybe a couple decoys. Shorthairs will do this too.
thats how we do it :twisted: ...ruth

GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:29 am

Dirtysailor wrote:Mossberg 835 3.5" with a Modified choke and get the dogs to work. Cheap to start and maybe a couple decoys. Shorthairs will do this too.
Never used a 3 1/2 inch shell in my life and I've been hunting waterfowl for 30 years. Used to shoot geese for the first two decades with 2 3/4 #2's , 1 oz. Tend to use 3 inch BB's alot now. 3 1/2 inch loads are good if you like to rattle your guns to pieces.

Shoot em in the lips and in range backflapping in the decoys, and you could use 7/8 oz 20 ga load :D

Lots of money and time has been sunk in getting waterfowl populations to where they are now, there is no centralized concerted effort for upland birds. I believe it would be better if all upland hunters banded together into one national organization in addition to smaller state orgs. Make our voices more collectively heard. Having half a dozen smaller national orgs who don't communicate or get things done efficiently is a waste of energy better spent banding together.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 am

birddog1968 wrote:Lots of money and time has been sunk in getting waterfowl populations to where they are now, there is no centralized concerted effort for upland birds. I believe it would be better if all upland hunters banded together into one national organization in addition to smaller state orgs. Make our voices more collectively heard. Having half a dozen smaller national orgs who don't communicate or get things done efficiently is a waste of energy better spent banding together.
birddog1968 for President!!! Uniting people with differing opinions since 2011!! Ha ha ha just ribbin ya!

I agree with you. It seems that bigger groups always make a bigger impact. However, getting these organizations to put aside petty, prideful, and sometimes downright rediculous differences will ba a herculean task... just like it has been in Washington DC

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:37 am

The upland conservation organizations do have unity, but you have to realize that upland is often a situation with private landowners. If individual landowners don't get on board, little can be done.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:41 am

Really all dog/hunting orgs/people should be on the same page even if they don't hunt upland, with the anti's and them trying to make inroads into public land we should all be on the same page and working together. But in this country try banding together a dozen white folks and getting them to agree is a chore if not impossible. Sorry if that don't sound politically correct.

Casey, Ive not seen a concerted joint effort between upland oriented national organizations, please elaborate if you could.

Locally we have had some success with our orgs, the Maryland Waterfowlers Assoc, Maryland sportsman Assoc and the Sportsmans legislative caucus.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Last edited by Cajun Casey on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:10 pm

server not found......

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 pm

birddog1968 wrote:server not found......
+1

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:17 pm

My bad - left off a letter. Try it now.

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:57 pm

While I agree 3.5 is more than enough, 30 years ago you guys could use lead too.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Dirtysailor wrote:While I agree 3.5 is more than enough, 30 years ago you guys could use lead too.
May be some truth to that but i think steel has come a long way, not to mention tungstun iron, if you can afford it these days. Was
nice when 2 3/4 kent matrix was 13.99 a box when if first came out.

I never use any more than 3 inch 2's or BB's (late season) these days.....and still use 2 3/4 #2's on decoying field geese.

Lately have liked the heavy metal but just can't get it consistent locally.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Looks like its all about bob whites to me..... don't see anything in there about phez, chukar, valley quail, grouse, etc..... and all is done on the east coast.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:45 pm

ultracarry wrote:Looks like its all about bob whites to me..... don't see anything in there about phez, chukar, valley quail, grouse, etc..... and all is done on the east coast.
Texas and Missouri are not the East coast. For that matter, neither is the plantation belt "quail trail." There have been conservation features in QF's publication on all species of North American quail. Chukar and Huns lack national efforts, but PF is available nationwide. It takes grassroots effort, not sideline quarterbacking, to get things accomplished.