Quail hunters just go away...

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Quail hunters just go away...

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Decent read, talks about Oklahoma but applicable to most parts of the country...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/man ... ng-decline

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Quail hunters just go away...

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 pm

I've been at the OWD public hearings. I've filled out the online surveys. I'm one of the people who complained about unpaid access by hikers, birders and nature lovers and who supported the WMA Passport that went into effect this year. I belong to QF.

What does everyone else do?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:49 am

If the writer wants to know what will happen to the looming breeds... someone ease direct him to a dog show where the majority of sporting dog are fat and clueless.. some may have a junior hunter but what's that...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:57 am

Even if I was intrested in breeding, I wouldn't waste money and time on a J.H.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:44 pm

I am active in the local QF chapter, and the local group has done a lot localy to help put a bunch of habitat in at the local WMA. But I think the reason, at least locally that quail hunters "just go away" is because no matter how much time and $ you put into building habitat on public land from the first of october "bleep" near through january you can't get on public land to bird hunt because there are 5 deer hunters already there. Most of the bird hunters I know concentrate their efforts on improving private land that they will at least be able to use. I am not saying that is the answer or even a good way to look at it but selfish as it is, I want to improve the areas I can use. I wish I had the problem the author had of having a ton of land to hunt and being alone. But that just isn't the case around here. I would almost rather have the land available to hunt and no birds than have birds and not be able to hunt them.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:00 pm

The problem is we Quial hunters HAVE been trying to get things done, they have studied Quail to death for the last two decades and just repeat the same old BS year after yearm all the while ignoring any positive results that go against their so called science that has failed time and again. We have really grown tired of giving up our time to go to meetings and then have what we the hunters vote on be put aside completely. The ODWC supposedly listens to the biologists on issues pertaining to quail but the last change they made went the exact opposite of biologists reccomendations, EVERY biologists, when they actually lengthened the season opening earlier than ever and closing later than ever. We have a huge conflict of interest in the ODWC when we have commissioners who lease lands for Quail hunting voting to increase the season, longer leases mean these already wealthy folks get more money for the leases. This same guy I am talking about BTW buys 3000 plus Quail to stock his land with for the illusion of him having good populations.

There is a bright spot in that when the current head of the ODWC leaves the man taking his place is first and foremost a bird hunter and even better hunts public lands and from our talk when I did my seminars at the Expo he has plans for changing LOTS of things. Lets hope it's not too late.