More Hunt Test!

Onk

More Hunt Test!

Post by Onk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:48 am

Are all hunt test listed on AKC wed site? It sure does not seem like there are very many of the test here in the Midwest! I would really like to get my dog started in his testing but the test are so far and few between that it might be a hard task to achieve!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

JeremyS

Re: More Hunt Test!

Post by JeremyS » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:08 am

There just aren't many tests in the midwest from November until March. Too cold and too much snow. Once it gets closer to the test dates, you will see that calendar fill up.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:14 am

Go to the AKC website and do an event search for hunting test. When it comes up do a search for the last 12 months. There were about 12 of them in the month of March in MO. Most of the time the same club will have the same weekend each year.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:16 am

Onk,

The Showme Vizsla Club will have a March hunt test right near you - in the Kansas City Area. I'll be there as will my sister and nephew - who will come up from New Mexico. The Joplin Club (Brittany Club) will have one too - later in March. They are great people and run a nice test as well.

Elsa

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:09 pm

The clubs in the midwest don't hold hunt test during hunting season because people are hunting their dogs at this time of year--The entries in the tests would be very, very low and most of these clubs can't afford to lose money at their events. There will be plenty of events in the Spring and early Fall before huntining season starts. Good luck in the tests this Spring :D

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Hunting test in California this weekend had about 46 dogs entered. Our hunt test season in so cal is late October through February. Northern cal starts after ours ends and runs through June. It's all about timing.

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:20 am

Sounds good that the events will schedule in at a later time. I was concerned looking ahead and not seeing any on the books yet for after bird season. Patience is not my strong suit!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:13 am

Ozark Brittany Club
Event Number: 2012347401
Event Status: Approved

Add to My Events List
Get Club Info
Get Map
Joplin, MO HT Mar 24, 2012
Hunting Test
Opening Date: No Date Available
Closing Date: Mar 21, 2012 06:00:00 PM
Time Zone: No Time Zone Available
Number of Days: 1
Ozark Brittany Club
Event Number: 2012347402
Event Status: Approved

Add to My Events List
Get Club Info
Get Map
Joplin, MO HT Mar 25, 2012
Hunting Test
Opening Date: No Date Available
Closing Date: Mar 21, 2012 06:00:00 PM
Time Zone: No Time Zone Available
Number of Days: 1
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Not sure exactly where in MO you are -

Show Me Vizsla club is normally the first weekend in March at James A. Reed in Lee's Summit
Gateway Vizsla club will be holding one in Wright City, I'm pretty sure the dates are 3/31 & 4/1
Ozark Brittany is shown above.

Greater St. Louis Brittany Club usually holds a spring test however they didn't last year, not sure about next year.
MO Brittany club held one in March last year in Osborn.
The Gateway GSP club is trying to get dates set but not sure how it is going.

If you are in Northern MO, the IA Brittany Club holds one in Eddyville in April. It's about 4 hours from St. louis. Good group of people and nice grounds.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:06 am

When they hold a two day event can you run/test your dog on both days or just one of the two? The dog has to pass 4 times at each level, if I have it correct, and if you could test the dog both days it sure would cut down on the time and travel at each level! If the dog passes that is! Thanks for the info Arlette!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:57 am

You can run both days on a 2 day event so you can get a qualifing score each day. They also run double-doubles, where 2 clubs get together and each runs a hunting test across the road from each other so you can run twice a day for two days and have a chance at 4 quaifing scores for a week end. The britt club and shorthair club do that in KS. I think there might of been a double-double down in Lee Summit this Fall. I know 2 clubs in CO do double-doubles as well. Once Spring gets here you will be able to run your dog in hunting tests about every weekend for 1 1/2 to 2 months straight.

Junior title 4 qualifing scores
Senior title 5 qualifing scores OR have a juniot title with 4 qualifing scores
master title 6 qualifing scores OR have a senior title with 5 qualifing scores

Good luck this Spring

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:52 pm

I'd like to see more hunt tests available in this area too. We do have a good amount within a 3 hour drive from where I live in KC. I put the one on for the MO Brittany club in Osborn last year. It was my first time chairing an event, and I had only ever been to one hunt test previously. There is a pretty steep learning curve and it does take considerable time and effort to put on the event. I'm not sure if the MO Brittany club is attempting to put one on in the spring since I have not been able to make it to a meeting in a while. Another thing is that you are supposed to mail in your application 90 days in advance so host clubs need to plan far in advance. One good thing I saw recently was that they passed the rule change to allow judging from ATVs now, but only on the back course. They must not enter the bird field on the ATV. Even at that, I think it will make it a little easier to find judges and also lower the costs for the host club, making it a less risky and more profitable event for the club. They also introduced new titles so that you can put another title on your dog after the first JH/SH/MH to encourage more people to enter events. I don't recall what the new titles are called, but it's a neat idea. My Britt is one pass away from her JH. It's not much of an accomplishment for her, but participating in the hunt test events is still fun even at that level. Next will be getting back into getting her broke, which I have gotten away from while running NSTRA. That's enough random thoughts for one post...