watch out for ricochets they hurt

sjkennels

watch out for ricochets they hurt

Post by sjkennels » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:52 am

walking a draw with a guy one of us on each side my dog went on point in front of me i walked up there and kicked around and a roster jumps up. i shoot didnt kill it but it wasn't going to far but it made its way over to the other guy on the other side of the plum thicket. i watched him shoot just over the top of the plum thicket and as soon as he shot i felt a sting about 2 inches under my right eye reached up and felt it and it was bleeding and swollen. i'm guessing it was just a ricochet that hit me since i didn't get hit with more then one bb that i know of. just had me thinking that if it hit 2 inches higher could have been blinded in my right eye. but on a positive point we shot every rooster that got up in range and my dog pointed and held every pheasant that we seen and shot. just everybody be careful out there while hunting
kick'em up knock'em down

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: watch out for ricochets they hurt

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:19 am

I don't always do it, but I try to wear shooting or sunglasses in the field - ALWAYS when dove hunting. I know a conservation agent that almost lost an eye a few years ago in a dove field. It was pretty touch and go, but he didn't lose the eye in the end. Sunglasses or shooting glasses can prevent a bad situation. Thanks for the reminder.

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:25 am

have seen and herd of that many times, like you said thank god it wasnt 2'' higher. have seen it the most when doing duck searches.cannot beleave how much and far steel skips off the water,thats why i use led its not as bad. 3 guys that i train with got nailed will sure get your attetion.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:44 pm

we were using steel shot to. thats all i uses anymore since i hunt at the wetlands around here along with private ground. i hated switching shells all the time so i just started using steel all together.
kick'em up knock'em down

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:19 am

i know what you mean, was doing the same thing but just started keeping some high brass in my training vest. not saying its rite but its a lot safer imo. i figure the amount of sinkers some of the fishermen loose a couple shots on a weekend cant hurt too bad.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:41 am

We were being dumb up the mountains shooting some bulletproof "glass," all previous bullets got swallowed up, pretty neat actually. A friend shot (I was standing WELL behind him) and hit the very bottom edge...

I got the ricochet to the chest......

Victoria's Secret? Bulletproof bras. ;)
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:24 am

Just switch sunglasses . Every time I'm put I use wiley X glasses. They are comfortable, have a ballistic rating, and not expensive.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am

There was a guy in Nebraska years ago who lost both eyes in a phez hunting accident.

Scary stuff - can't think of any bird that's worth the eyes of a hunting pard.

Wonder how often dogs get shot?

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Wonder how often dogs get shot?
i hunt with a few people that don't have a lot of experience so i'm always worried about my dog getting shot. i always try and put a vest on her and whoever i hunt with i make sure they know dont shot at low flying birds.
kick'em up knock'em down

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:11 pm

When I have guided in the past I always put a price on my dogs. I tell all involved that if they shoot my dog that is what the hunt will cost them. Usually 5k, you would be surprised how many guys will be more careful when and where they shoot!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:14 pm

There was a guy in Nebraska years ago who lost both eyes in a phez hunting accident
So I goes in to get a pre surgery physical today, Dr asks me how did I get that wound/scar on my left shoulder :) my brother shot me I said :) he also got a boot once, and my truck... gotta stop hunting wit hhim. :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:21 pm

topher40 wrote:When I have guided in the past I always put a price on my dogs. I tell all involved that if they shoot my dog that is what the hunt will cost them. Usually 5k, you would be surprised how many guys will be more careful when and where they shoot!
i will have to start telling our clients that. thankfully most of them that we have kinda know what they are doing but we have got a few that don't know anything those people scare me.
kick'em up knock'em down

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:34 pm

I don't take, and won't allow people in our group to take low shots of any kind. I tell them that in no uncertain terms. I wouldn't know where to start, putting a price on either of mine.

I am lucky I guess. In all the years I have hunted neither I nor the dogs have been hit, but I don't hunt big groups and I am picky about my hunting companions. I get pickier as I get older, having seen some really stupid things done by younger hunters, or by people my age but just getting in to hunting. Won't just go out with someone I don't know anymore.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:48 pm

topher40 wrote:When I have guided in the past I always put a price on my dogs. I tell all involved that if they shoot my dog that is what the hunt will cost them. Usually 5k, you would be surprised how many guys will be more careful when and where they shoot!
That's cheap when you think about everything... 5k would barely get you back to where you are with your dog, not to mention the emotional connection.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 pm

I used to take a friend's son Grouse hunting when he was 15 or 16 years. Good kid. After a stint in the Marine Corps a few years later, he went hunting for deer with a buddy at his Grandpa's land where we also grouse hunted. They decided that the friend would walk up to a ridge top and sit, while the friend's son would hunt by a creek. On the way up to the ridge, his friend jumped a rabbit and pulled up on it. The boy at the bottom yelled "Don't shoot". Too late. He fired and the 12 ga. slug hit a rock in the creek and richoche'd into his jaw. He made it, but his jaw was wired shut for about 6 months. He only bow hunts for deer now and not with his old buddy.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:34 am

prety wild hearing the different stories, i know of 2 different guys guiding at the same hunt club one got shot by the client,thank god for the brush between them and his chaps he was able to walk away. i think it was a week or two later the other guy was guiding a group and had warned them a few times about clousing their guns low adn shooting at low flyers,long storie the dog got shot at point blank range wad in dog. the bitch of it was it didnt kill her riteaway,she died on the way to the vet. after he told me those 2 stories that was it for guiding for me.