Versatile Hunting Pointers?

prairiefirepointers

Versatile Hunting Pointers?

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Late Sunday evening, I checked my email to find I had 2 emails... Both of them from from clients who had pups from us. Both from New Mexico, and from 2 different litters. Neither client knows the other, and both dogs are from different breedings but share the same sire (Cy dog). They had both sent pics of their dogs in action, and sharing the same sentiments of how pleased they are with their dogs.

First is "Boomer". He is from a litter we had 2 years ago. Kevin regularly sends pics during/post hunting season. Boomer gets blind time as well as field time. Here he is in action retreiving some Gadwall from the Los Alamos area.

Second is "Hutch". Here he is with his owner and handler Greg at the NAVHDA NA test they had October 8-9th. Greg and Hutch are members of the Zia Chapter.
Hutch did well, he was the youngest pup there I guess, (5.5 months) and earned a prize level II. Greg said he got dinged some points because he wouldn't retreive the bumper from the water. Said he'd readilly retreive the dead birds, but would just swim out to the bumper and look at them like "Hey, this isn't a bird fellas" :lol: . I thought they did really well, especially since Greg is a first time dog trainer and had not used an E-collar AT ALL up to this point.

Hope you enjoyed the pics! I was very proud and pleased with the dogs. :D ... owners too. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

crackerd

Re: Versatile Hunting Pointers?

Post by crackerd » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:10 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:First is "Boomer". He is from a litter we had 2 years ago. Kevin regularly sends pics during/post hunting season. Boomer gets blind time as well as field time. Here he is in action retreiving some Gadwall from the Los Alamos area.
(Loved this shot!)
That's a beautiful thing - better watch out or Craig Kirsch'll be challenging Boomer's owner to a field trial for determining the most versatile pointing non-Lab retriever. Craig already got NAVHDA's VC title this year with his pointer Ice.

MG

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:13 pm

gpblitz wrote:Great pics!!! nice to see more folks testing EP's in NAVHDA.
prairiefirepointers wrote:Hutch did well, he was the youngest pup there I guess, (5.5 months) and earned a prize level II. Greg said he got dinged some points because he wouldn't retreive the bumper from the water. Said he'd readilly retreive the dead birds, but would just swim out to the bumper and look at them like "Hey, this isn't a bird fellas
Has nothing to do with the retrieve. The doesn't have to retrieve but must enter the water and swim when bumper is throwen. Got marked do because it took a bird to get dog to go. Congrats on the NA Prize II
Yeah, Idunno... Greg said he would swim out to the bumper but wouldn't retreive it. I hope Greg keeps him testing. :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm

No challenges from me, I'm just tickled to see more longtails showing up in NAVHDA events. :D Another pointer earned it's VC at this year's Invitational, so hopefully the word will begin to get out that the breed can handle a variety of game, will actually retrieve, and (gasp) even swim. Don't know that I'd tell any cold-weather waterfowlers that a pointer should be their first choice, but for those of us who want to jump an occasional dam while out grouse hunting, or shoot over decoys in early season hunts, they'll get the job done.

PrairieFire, looks like you're putting out some nice dogs. Keep up the good work!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:13 pm

I have been saying for years that if a person would have an EP kennel that concentrated heavily on NAVHDA like the GSP and PP guys have, they would sell a ton of pups and improve the breed. NAVHDA is how most folks hunt. If people could get a dog that had the style of the EP with the versatility that had been proven by litters being NAVHDA tested, they would be in high demand. I would certainly own them if I lived a little further south. My DD gets cold when she is wet and the wind is howling, I can't imagine an EP in that situation.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Glad to see this also. I love it when stereotypes are disproved. It is all about proper exposure, prey drive and the ability to put 2&2 together. Nice work.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Great pics! I too have an EP that likes the water and will retrieve early season ducks. They are such great dogs, but shhhh.... don't let the secret out. Everyone would want one lounging on their couch if they knew what they were like.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:09 pm

NICE!!!
brenda

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Every breeder puts out good dogs... just ask them. :lol: But when you see the "proof in the pudding" and happy customers, I feel estatic. Especially when you see your breed kind of pushed outside their comfort zone (for lack of better words) and excelling.

One good thing about this years spring litter is that about 3/4 of the litter was sold in state. Usually about 90% go outside of Kansas. I made good friends with one guy who only lives about 20 miles from me and I'll have the pleasure of hunting over his dog this fall. Also, Greg and his dog Hutch who are from Santa Fe, NM will be coming down to Kansas this year and we'll hook up. Greg was born and raised in Pretty Prairie, and comes back every year.

This was our 3rd litter in since I started PFP's 4 years ago. And, I've never been able to hunt over one of our pups/dogs.... I am excited. Bird season starts this weekend! :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 am

That is a nice looking dog! Looks like a little one? Is it even 50#? I sure wouldn't worry about refusing a bumper, it got the bird. I don't know much about NAVDA but I heard it's some pretty decent test's. Oh, BTW, I tried eating ducks years ago, they stunted my growth! :D And ah, Teal are not to be confused with ducks! :lol:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!