Setters..Ryman or Llwellin-HELP!

mykp13

Setters..Ryman or Llwellin-HELP!

Post by mykp13 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Ok, decided on a setter. Was pretty sure I was going to get a Ryman/Old Hemlock dog from Beirl Kennels. That is until I saw Bob's Straight Creek Llwellins. Other than the size of the dogs I'm having a hard time discerning the differences. I like the look of the Ryman dogs better. Also, I live in Michigan where the most abundant wild birds are ruffed grouse. Any setter people out there PLEASE HELP. Please don't try to sell me a dog, I'm looking for objective opinions from people who own/hunt English Setters.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Setters..Ryman or Llwellin-HELP!

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Don't have any, never have and never will, but the nicest setters I have seen and which have gotten favorable comments from my trainer and others are AA washouts.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

gspguy

Post by gspguy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:53 pm

What you want is an FDSB coverdog setter. There are several coverdog setter breeders in Michigan. Do some research and you should find something right up your alley.
They're all broke 'til they break.

lucky guy

Post by lucky guy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Good choice on a setter! Aside from being tough, driven bird dogs, they're great buddies the rest of the time.

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:30 pm

gspguy wrote:What you want is an FDSB coverdog setter. There are several coverdog setter breeders in Michigan. Do some research and you should find something right up your alley.

+1, most well bred setters will adjust their range to how you want them to hunt and the terrain you're hunting. I've seen a couple young setters from Havelock that got a little wild as far as out running their noses but that fizzled itself out by the time they were 3 or 4.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:14 pm

gspguy wrote:What you want is an FDSB coverdog setter. There are several coverdog setter breeders in Michigan. Do some research and you should find something right up your alley.
Neither.

+ 1 To what he said.

If there were any dogs better at hunting in the woods they would be trialed. Don't believe any of the high strung trial dog misinformation you read on the Internet. They are great dogs around the house and even better when looking for birds. At five months old my pup knows when it is time to hunt and time to be a house dog. He would be a gentlemen's gun dog if I was more of a gentleman.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:03 pm

I have Llewellins right now and love them. They adjust their range to the cover and check back in with you.
Don't have much experience with Ryman's but a friend has one that is a good birddog.

You will not find better dogs in the house and with the family. And Setters are the best looking dogs there is :D

Indy is still a little guy at 5 months

Steve

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Garrison wrote:He would be a gentlemen's gun dog if I was more of a gentleman.
This one simple sentence made my day! :D

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:10 pm

:D :D :D

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Nice looking young pups. :D
That first one looks like a linebacker! Think he would make two of my pup at that age.
Steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:26 am

Either an E. Setter or a L. Setter would work well. It's hard to tell by their looks. My L. Setter is not the prettiest, but he's a birdfinder, has medium range, and is a natural retriever.
big steve

m2244

Post by m2244 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:10 pm

I am wondering about Ryman Setters myself. I had a L Setter for about a year. This may be unusual but he drove us crazy with his hyperness. He ended up biting my son which was not entirely the dog's fault. But to those who would say that you can't find a better house dog, I would disagree.

Good luck.

goldenpatch29

Post by goldenpatch29 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:08 pm

I had a Llwellin setter and now I have a FDSB cover dog setter......the Llwellin was a wonderful small setter and was a breeze to train, and had a very good nose. He wasnt much of a looker but he was a natural hunter. And I am not a dog trainer, this dog was super smart and pretty much trained him self...hahaha. Now, I have the FDSB cover dog setter, and he is just a pup. He is super sweet and has more energy than a spider monkey all jacked up on mountain dew. He is a much bigger dog and has a lot of style but I can tell that its going to take a lot more patience and effort to train him to what I desire. With that being said I wouldnt want to hunt with any other dog by my side other than a setter. :D

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm

m2244 wrote:I am wondering about Ryman Setters myself. I had a L Setter for about a year. This may be unusual but he drove us crazy with his hyperness. He ended up biting my son which was not entirely the dog's fault. But to those who would say that you can't find a better house dog, I would disagree.

Good luck.
Would you mind sending me a PM with some information about the "ill tempered Llewellin"? Pedigree? Bloodines?

I am not trying to stirr any pot with this request and will keep the information private.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:26 pm

m2244 wrote:I am wondering about Ryman Setters myself. I had a L Setter for about a year. This may be unusual but he drove us crazy with his hyperness. He ended up biting my son which was not entirely the dog's fault. But to those who would say that you can't find a better house dog, I would disagree.

Good luck.

That really surprises me. That is so far from what I have seen with LS. Guess there can always be bad apples or other extenuating circumstances that cause problems.
Steve