French Brittany Opinions

mykp13

French Brittany Opinions

Post by mykp13 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Anyone have anythign to say about these dogs. The information that i can find says that these dogs are more laid back then their american counterparts. They seem like te ideal dog. Looking for opinions.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: French Brittany Opinions

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:02 pm

They are very much the same dog we brought over 60 and seventy years ago only with some added colors. Temperment is more an individual trait that is greatly influenced by how you raise them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:04 am

They are great dogs. The females are more independent than the males, but not as much so as the American Brits. They are easily trained, but also have a lot of good instincts. I think the Black coloring adds to the quality, especially if they have black paws and black nose.
I normally hunt with all my 5 FB's at the same time, and I return to the truck with all 5 every time, when I want... not when the dog wants, and I don't use e-collars.
Last January I decided to just take 1 female (fern) out for a quail hunt. She was 11 months old. She gave me some good points and dead bird finds and retrieves (the wind was blowing about 15 mph), but what really impressed me the most was when a jack rabbit jumped up in front of me. I swung the shotgun up on the rabbit (wasn't gonna shoot it) and out of the corner of my eye, I see Fern about 75 yards out to the left put the brakes on. She stood there honoring "my point" until i lowered the shotgun and started walking again.
IMHO that is the difference between the French and American Brits. In general they are the same, but its the details that count.
As far as living in the house with you, I would say they are good. Mine prefer to be outside unless it's to hot or too cold.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:49 am

My first Brittany was half French half American. She had a slightly "settery" look. She was the best brit I ever owned , the other brits I owned were French from fairly recent imports. They ran well, pointed readily and were reasonably good retrievers but they lacked the willingness to please that made the first brit so special. The first brit had the pure French dogs licked in every aspect of her work. When trialed against pure French brits she always came out above them.

I see only French bred brits in Britain now and I have ceased to own any brits. At present ,in Britain, there seems to be a too high percentage of Brits , especially the males, that are aggressive to other dogs. I don't know where this is coming from but I don't like it.

If some good U.S. strains were available over here I'd consider getting another Brittany........ an American one............. Just my opinion ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:14 am

I grew up with American brits, well through my uncle and later of my own.

Personally, I got hooked on the French brits by accident. As I see it a happy accident. I feel they take to grouse hunting quicker than the American Brits I had in the past. They are good retrievers, I use mine to duck hunt. But like any dog they are only as good as the work you put into them, and only as good as you let them learn on their own.

Personality, that is an individual thing not a breed thing. Have had four French brits so far, they are all different, (other than they would rather hunt than eat steak) they all have lived in the house. When I tell all the dogs to cut it they do and will be perfect in house citizens. I think they are more quirky than American brits. But I like that, keeps me thinking all the time.

Many will say they are a close working dog. Well that is all in perspective, and what they are raised as. I would never say that there are not close workers as I have two that are, but here in Maine it works good. They probably work only about 75 yards out in the woods, at most, when we move to field work or when we went to KA, they got out there 100 to 200 yards or so. The others on occasion go out of bell range and have to use a beeper on one in the grouse woods.

I like them. Probably will always have them in the house. I would also have American Brits. I like Brittanies. I like the black coats as they are more stiff. I like GSP too, as much and more in some instances.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:43 am

I love my frenchy's I have 100% French & 1/2 french 1/2 american. Our only 100 % french is the fist dog I have had that naturally backed with no training on backing other than just hunting with the other dogs. The best thing about all of them is they have great stamina, If you want to hunt all day, no problem, they are ready to go.