Gave my dog away today

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Gave my dog away today

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Howie isn't it funny how these dogs can make GROWN MEN act like babies? We handle most other things with out getting emoitonal about it but a dog can make us weep with no shame.
I am not ashamed to say my dogs have brought tears to my eyes more then once.They are the most Loyal creatures on earth,wish I could say the same for all humans.

NO MORE PUPPIES!!! :roll: :lol:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:15 pm

As a father and a son...I cannot think of a gesture that would mean more to me. My most sincere respect.

Joe

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:26 pm

I could never do it. You are a generous man. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Howie isn't it funny how these dogs can make GROWN MEN act like babies? We handle most other things with out getting emoitonal about it but a dog can make us weep with no shame.
I am not ashamed to say my dogs have brought tears to my eyes more then once.They are the most Loyal creatures on earth,wish I could say the same for all humans.

NO MORE PUPPIES!!! :roll: :lol:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO true. :wink:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 pm

I gave my son a pup and helped him train it. He is 9 now and is a dog man. He keeps his cool, never lets the dog know he is upset, gets instant responce from his dog too. I would say his dog fetchs better than mine except for the pup which he trained to fetch :)

Giving your son a dog is a better gift than most ever get. Very nice gesture. I bet your son is really happy now too. Money cant buy that type of happiness.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

bigmike86

Post by bigmike86 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Yea good job Dad! That was a nice thing you did.
On to force fetch.....oh boy...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm

You show real character and hopefully, a new puppy will help with some of the mixed emotions.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Giving my son a puppy is fine but, no way does he get one of my boys unless I die. He already has one of my all time favorite rifles, my old SxS Charles Daly 12 ga training shotgun, my 870 special field 20 ga, my Smith/Wesson 9mm, my old Toyota 4wd pickup and God only knows what else. I'd buy him a pup but mine are here for the duration!

If it make anyone feel better about my sour attitude, I wouldn't trade him off either, unless I though I could get a good pup! :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Talk about a gesture, thats one i would cherish till the end of my days......

My father gave me a shotgun, turns out he died just a few short years later......its not so much the item that sticks with me , its why he gave it to me.

Hats off Gb :!:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:56 pm

On the upside you'll most likely get to see and hunt with them again :) I sold a female that most likely I'll never see again :cry: I think of her and what she could have been. Did I give up to soon? On the upside she is with a couple that we're looking to fill a void that was left when their GSP passed away. That in it's self gives me comfort knowing they will love a care for her till the end.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Howie will you adopt me?

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:29 am

ACooper wrote:Howie will you adopt me?
+1!!!!

My dad doesn't hunt or anything so I havent inherited anything!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:49 am

My Dad was almost 50 yrs old when I was born.my parents seperated when I was 10 & my father batched after that untill he passed at 68.He never left behind much material things so in that way he never left me anything.What he did leave behind was my love for the out doors,hunting,fishing.I almost had a pro baseball career because of him but an injury ended that dream.I'm sure Howie has given everything he loves to his son because that's what fathers do.
The material things I have my wife & I have aqquired on our own but they are posessions I would gladly give up just to be able to spend one wk with my Dad in hunting camp!!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 am

Mike50 wrote:...she is with a couple that we're looking to fill a void...they will love a care for her till the end.
That says it all Mike.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:15 am

Howie -

Good for you. I am sure your son and family will enjoy their new addition. And you as well.

I have only one son and when I croak he is going to have to deal with all my junk anyway. Soooo, if there is anything he wants and I ain't usin' it right this minute...he is pretty much welcome to it.

About five years ago, my two dogs had a litter and my daughter-in-law(mostly) and son fell in love with one of the pups. They were living in an apartment at the time. Fast forward five years and that puppy just went home with them and my 15 month old grandson earlier this fall. He was my best dog at this point in time and I could run him just about anywhere I wanted and be competitive... but I feel, as you obviously do, that a dog has no higher calling...no greater purpose in life... than to be a young child's first dog and hopefully(if 'ol Blue hangs in there) his first bird dog as well.

THAT is how you make great memories...and when it is all said and done, it is the memories that make us smile and know that we did it right.

RayG

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:07 am

Not sure I coulda done that!
brenda

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Howie I know why you did it,that was the point I was trying to get across.I was trying to show how a fathers gifts will stick with their children for life & have a big influence on their own lives.
Yeah I know how wives can influence also.My youngest son use to love doing everthing with me & we were very close because of it.Once he disovered girls well you can guess the rest.
The last time we went hunting together he couldn't have hit boeing 747,had this girl on his mind & getting back home to see her. :roll:
Your son will always remember the gesture & so will his wife. :)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:26 pm

gpblitz wrote:My sons wife loaded Blitz in the car and Brought him back to me. She didn't like the smell of him.
That does not bode well for the marriage...

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:
gpblitz wrote:My sons wife loaded Blitz in the car and Brought him back to me. She didn't like the smell of him.
That does not bode well for the marriage...
haha my thoughts exactly! One of my favorite things about my GF is that she can't get enough of my dog! She comes over when I'm not there just to hang out with him.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Was my thoughts to Greg but who knows my son hasn't hunted a day since he got married.Even before that in fact since the day he couldn't wait to get home from our hunting trip to see his then girlfriend.
She was not only Anti Hunting but Anti Gun because she had relatives in prison because they used guns in crime,the guns made them do it!!!!!
His wife now has no problems with guns or hunting or dogs, but keeps him too busy to have time to hunt.
Funny how a women can control things.Now it's all amusement parks, work, & the kids.I have told him he's not the son I raised but it's no longer my business been told that to in fact.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:52 pm

In my rather painful experience, when one is 100% dancing to the others' tune, sooner or later, they get tired of it. I know I did...and went to lengths to change things.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Was my thoughts to Greg but who knows my son hasn't hunted a day since he got married.Even before that in fact since the day he couldn't wait to get home from our hunting trip to see his then girlfriend.
She was not only Anti Hunting but Anti Gun because she had relatives in prison because they used guns in crime,the guns made them do it!!!!!
His wife now has no problems with guns or hunting or dogs, but keeps him too busy to have time to hunt.
Funny how a women can control things.Now it's all amusement parks, work, & the kids.I have told him he's not the son I raised but it's no longer my business been told that to in fact.
How's the saying go? "A wife and a steady job has ruined many a good duck hunter?" haha As long as he's happy right? :D

P.S Let me know if you're still looking to gift that dog away :mrgreen:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:25 pm

gpblitz wrote:Ray and Ted, I gave my son ( only living son) because I wanted him to have the second best bird dog I've ever owned to date. The whole deal was short lived. Chad took Blitz grouse hunting this morn, bagged 2 grouse over his points. When Chad and Blitz got home My sons wife loaded Blitz in the car and Brought him back to me. She didn't like the smell of him. :? :?
Hmmmm . Forget to check with the woman eh? That'll show you. :D

( When my Dad died he had left a Benelli Cordoba 12 gauge to my brother.)
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Personally Howie,
I think you suck and to redeem yourself you will have tyo give me a JJ and Cage pup........ :mrgreen:

Ah....see now don't you just feel better already?...... :D

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Was my thoughts to Greg but who knows my son hasn't hunted a day since he got married.Even before that in fact since the day he couldn't wait to get home from our hunting trip to see his then girlfriend.
Ted for your sake and his I hope he changes his mind and starts hunting with you again, he will regret it one day if he doesn't. I'm not sure what I will do when my father is no longer able to hunt. It is a rare occasion that we are not together if we are bird hunting, he doesn't duck or deer hunt with me much but if we are after quail or pheasants he is there. Good thing also he is the only one of us with dogs at home! :lol:

My girlfriend will some day sooner rather than later be my wife, I have made it very clear to her from the beginning that hunting and bird dogs are so much more to me than a "hobby".

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:28 pm

That poor woman doesn't know what she is missing out on! I am so glad my husband got me into hunting, it didn't take much I was always interested but did not growup with it. I "talked" him into 2 of our 4 GSP's :D In fact the past 4 years or so I have got to hunt more then he has! When we got our 1st GSP he was about 10 months old and had been sprayed by a skunk a week earlier, and our dogs are house dogs....now when ever I smell a skunk it reminds me of him as a "pup".