Star's LAST trial.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Star's LAST trial.

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 pm

This is hard for me to write because I love this little dog.Von Zeppelins Distant Star (avatar) has been retired from FT competiton because of a shoulder injury she suffered while at home this summer.She only needed 2 points to finish her FC but after 2 trials this fall it has become eveident she is not herself.I am really proud of her for not quitting and giving it all she had but I would never forgive myself if she ended up crippled over a piece of paper that says FC.

She is a FC to me !!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Star's LAST trial.

Post by shags » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:40 pm

What a heartbreaker - that's a tough one.

Sometimes those joint/bone injuries take a very long time to heal, like 6 months to a year. I hope a season off will turn things around for Star.

At any rate, you know she has what it takes and a paper from AKC won't change that.

Best wishes to you both.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 pm

sounds like star has earned a little R and R. Besides those fancy little papers with AKC and American Field only show what we already knew about our dogs. Good luck to you and star and I hope for a speedy recovery. Remember those who can't do, train. Put her to work on the next great trialer.

joe

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Ted like I told you the other day I am sure sorry to hear, but like you said she has nothing more to prove to you. Enjoy having her at home and make the best of it.

Good luck with Storm, I hope we hear some brags about him in the near future.

Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Sorry to hear that Ted. All good athletes get hurt from time to time and given time to heal, their past performances are never in question. They may never get that World Series or Superbowl ring or AKC title, but you know they performed to the highest level when they played!
Smitty

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:23 pm

That's too bad and I admire you for making the bench call. Some wouldn't have. Have you looked into cold laser to prevent future discomfort?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Tough but the right call. Just don't chalk her completely off and see if in a year it has healed and she is back to running. I am sure you will know.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm

Ted
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 pm

CC she did this last summer only held it up for 1 day but limped for several wks then she quit limping except when first getting up in the mornings.She could run,she could walk with no obvious limp but in her middle gait she had a catch that most didn't even notice.You had to watch close to see it,it was time for her to go back for summer camp actually a little past.I called Chris & told him what was going on plus her being in season her 4th wk.He said bring her up & will see how she does maybe to the point where she just needs to stengthen it back up.He called a couple days later & said just like you said ok running & walking but a catch in the middle.He started working & roading her all seemed to be going fine no problems.Her first trial he ran her in OAA she ran an AA race with 1 find but not animated,head down,flat tail,& that's not Star.He ran her in OLGD one of the judges road over to Chris & asked is she injured that's not her normal break away he said she had a shoulder injury,again she had 1 find.He scratched her in OGD.
Doc Reynolds looked at her & said she probably tore some muscle & tendons in her shoulder.Chris asked why it didn't show up Roading,Doc told him level ground & good footing never tweeked it but running as hard as she does on unlevel ground of ruts holes etc jammed it up again,They put her on anti inflamatory meds & rest for 2 or 3 wks until this wk end trial,she wasn't showing any indications of being sore.
Chris said her breakaway wasn't like her normal ones but she was having a good run with 2 finds then 3/4 through her brace she did a nose dive & came up limping.We talked over some options tonite & it was my decision to bring her home let her heal up & have a litter maybe 2 & hopefully she can do a little hunting with me.She don't run that hard with me on foot & stays with me.

You can go all over her move it around,rub it,squeese it she never acts like anything bothers her.I think she will be fine aslong as she is not competeing,but time will tell.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Hope she gets better. You never know though. Shoulder could get better and come back stronger after some R & R.

Highland Gundogs

Post by Highland Gundogs » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Hate to hear of this Ted, I was hoping she was gonna be herself this fall. Definately a classy bitch. Maybe now Storm will get to spend some time in front of a horse?

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Sorry to hear that Ted. Sounds like you made a very tough but good call. At least you can still hunt behind her and enjoy her in that aspect! Good luck with you other dog.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:59 am

She's a heck of a dog Ted. I've seen with my own eyes. heck, I may have even put her up once. There is no shame in your decision and I would do the same for my dog.

Enjoy your time with her.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks Justin & everyone else most of you haven't seen her go & the hard part of it is she loves to do it,you can see that when she runs.
It's dissapointing but it is what it is,can't be changed,it happened & life goes on.Like they say Life isn't fair sometimes! :(

LBH

Post by LBH » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:48 am

I say you still run her...she was too much for Gun Dog stakes anyways...might be a good thing if something slows her down a bit :wink: Kidding aside, I know what it's like to have your plans be messed with and it sucks. Sorry to hear about Star but hopefully she will come back better than ever in the spring. She's done a lot...you have every right to be proud of her.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks Lantz,I know you know all about it & my circumstance doesn't compare to yours.It happens everyday it's a chance we take no matter for fun or competition,it happens to horses,trainers,no living being is immune to it.We will do fine no matter what path we take down the Rd.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully time will change things. I had a GSP , very close to winning a Championship ,but then she went blind at 5. Heartache.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Good call putting her up. She has nothing to prove. I know guy's that had this happened to their dog, they would put it down. Winning is everything and you win!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Ted,
Really sorry to hear about Star and that you had to retire her. Very veryt nice bitch and well deserving of a Field Championship and more. Hope she can recover and you can get her back out there.

Robert