How keep your dog occupied at home

media310

How keep your dog occupied at home

Post by media310 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Do you keep your dog in a kennel while in the house if your there? The reason I ask is my 14 month old GSP is really driving me nuts. I have decided I would give us a rest from running /biking on the weekend. During the week we run together for a good 1-2 hours each day and I'm looking for a bit of rest. She has plenty of toys to play with but doesn't seem to understand not every day = going out on a long run or bike ride. Any help would be awesome.. I'm exhausted

Is it just a young puppy with lots of energy? How do I handle down days?

Should I see about day care on the weekends?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: How keep your dog occupied at home

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Considering your past issues with this animal, why do you have her? Either get her a buddy or find her a new home. While the latter option would be my reccomendation, if you choose the first, get a neutered male. Herding or bully breed or cross would be my choice.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Considering your past issues with this animal, why do you have her? Either get her a buddy or find her a new home. While the latter option would be my reccomendation, if you choose the first, get a neutered male. Herding or bully breed or cross would be my choice.
So your answer is get rid of her. Way to go!!!!!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:54 pm

media310 wrote:Do you keep your dog in a kennel while in the house if your there? The reason I ask is my 14 month old GSP is really driving me nuts. I have decided I would give us a rest from running /biking on the weekend. During the week we run together for a good 1-2 hours each day and I'm looking for a bit of rest. She has plenty of toys to play with but doesn't seem to understand not every day = going out on a long run or bike ride. Any help would be awesome.. I'm exhausted

Physical work will only help so much. Especially if it's always the same route, same pace, etc., eventually you can turn the dog into just a bored marathon runner.

NEVER take the same route when you run/bike/walk. Give the dog new smells, sounds, etc.. Drive somewhere before you start your run if you have to. Work on obedience with some heel, down/stay, recall, etc. built-in randomly as you walk/run.

It would help if your dog had more mental outlets - hunt training serves that purpose for the hunters.

Here's a link with a few other ideas: http://www.k9station.com/mentalstim.htm

If you are not going to hunt your pup, you may need to consider some other structured activity such as obedience, agility, dock dog, tracking, or whatever.

Cajun may have been posting somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but he may also be correct if you truly do have a mismatch between your ability to provide outlets for such an active dog and your ability/willingness to do so.

We had a foster dog for a summer that was a very active dominant male. He was in the crate in the house during the times he wasn't out training or running/walking/biking.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:18 pm

media310 wrote:Do you keep your dog in a kennel while in the house if your there? The reason I ask is my 14 month old GSP is really driving me nuts. I have decided I would give us a rest from running /biking on the weekend. During the week we run together for a good 1-2 hours each day and I'm looking for a bit of rest. She has plenty of toys to play with but doesn't seem to understand not every day = going out on a long run or bike ride. Any help would be awesome.. I'm exhausted

I have 3 dogs at home. Not pups but still full of energy. When I am at work ( part time) or away for 4-5 hours , they sleep. Sure they are ready to rip when I get home . We go for a good one - two hour , off leash run, every second day. You should not work the same muscles 2 days in a row. If they had a voice, they would take a one hour rest and be ready to go again. This is not realistic for me. You are giving pup plenty of exercise. It's the very rare person who could give 2 hours every day.
Don't let pup run your day or your life. It's suppose to be fun , not a burden. You should like a very conscientious pet owner. Do what you can. Kennel pup when you need time to yourself. (" I bet you've never told pup to get the heck out of here and lay down." :) Pup's high energy should only last about 4 years. :)

PS If you can afford it do what you can as far as daycare or a walker goes, but not essential.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:28 am

I'm guessing by you saying you're running with your dog 1 to 2 hrs a day, you're on paths & the dog is at heal or on a leash? A bird dog needs to be run through fields where it can run at it's speed & break cover by jumping through tall grass/weeds & brush. A 1 to 2 hr run at your speed on a path doesn't do much compared to a 30 minute run through cover. You'll see a big difference in the dog's behavior by changing how you run it.

media310

Post by media310 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks for the Mental Stimulation for Dogs link. I also appreciate the info about mixing up the runs, smells etc. We live on a 300 acre ranch so were out exploring daily. Mostly off trail, hills, ponds, streams etc.. I think the problem is my Irish guilt, I feel awful if my dog is not getting to run and rage the way she was bread to.. I guess it's something I need to get used to when we take a day off, or two..

We have yet to hunt but she's finding Grouse left and right so I am going to look at a Shotgun this week, hence my earlier post.. As for Cajun, wow throw the baby out with the bathwater, nice...

I do really appreciate everyone's post, I have given my dog a 100% better life since adopting her and will continue on that path..

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:46 am

media310 wrote:Thanks for the Mental Stimulation for Dogs link. I also appreciate the info about mixing up the runs, smells etc. We live on a 300 acre ranch so were out exploring daily. Mostly off trail, hills, ponds, streams etc.. I think the problem is my Irish guilt, I feel awful if my dog is not getting to run and rage the way she was bread to.. I guess it's something I need to get used to when we take a day off, or two..

We have yet to hunt but she's finding Grouse left and right so I am going to look at a Shotgun this week, hence my earlier post.. As for Cajun, wow throw the baby out with the bathwater, nice...

I do really appreciate everyone's post, I have given my dog a 100% better life since adopting her and will continue on that path..
Sorry, Mike, but I read your newspaper blogs. You don't need this dog. She isn't a media source. She's a living thing and you aren't doing right by her. Saying you're going to start hunting is a cop out. She's not ready to go hunting just because she finds birds.

GSPs excel in many dog activities. Obedience, Agility, Rally, Weight Pull, HRC, shed hunting, K9 Nosework, Tracking, all have their GSP participants. Even a PetSmart training class would be a step in the right direction. Not knocking PetSmart, it's just their classes don't train for anything specific.

Too many people ditch the breed because of their activity level and their quirks. The fact that you say your dog should "run and rage" just reinforces my thought that you are in over your head.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:27 am

And so it begins... better get your comments in while you can... looks like this one is going to go the most traditional route of (Previous steps) "Hey I need help..." ----> "No what you need to do is __________ because I know better" -------> "I'll mostly ignore your post and appreciate the others that have tried to help..." -------> (Current step) "No but you dont understand, I'm right and your wrong, I'm trying to tell you that your wrong. Listen when I say your wrong because I know I'm right" -------> (future steps) "Just because you say your right doesnt make you right." ------> "I know I'm right" -----> "Youre not right" -----> "Am too heres' why." ------> "Are not!" -----> "Am too" ----> thread locked. -----> new thread started on how we have no more free speech in America!

Same stuff different day.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:28 am

Just because your dog is full of energy doesn't mean you are in over your head or that you should give up your dog. High energy is normal and expected from a young sporting dog. That you take your pup out for regular exercise is a good thing, but she needs to learn that not every day is a party.

IMO there's nothing wrong with expecting a dog to have some quiet time, and if you need to crate her for a little while to teach it, do so. You'll get into trouble, however, if she fusses and causes you to release her, so kennel her for short periods and release her only when she is quiet.

It's a great idea to free run her whenever possible - it's good for her physically and mentally and it seems to me that my dogs get more worn out with free running than by roading or anything else.

For the quiet times, look into things to keep her busy. My dogs like knuckle bones or other chewy thingies. Sometimes on 'off' days, they come with me for car rides to the bank etc. Or we play fetch in the yard. It breaks up the day for them but they still get the time to settle down and give me some peace and quiet.

Good on you for taking in a rescue :D

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:44 am

Cajun Casey wrote: Sorry, Mike, but I read your newspaper blogs. You don't need this dog. She isn't a media source. She's a living thing and you aren't doing right by her. Saying you're going to start hunting is a cop out. She's not ready to go hunting just because she finds birds.

GSPs excel in many dog activities. Obedience, Agility, Rally, Weight Pull, HRC, shed hunting, K9 Nosework, Tracking, all have their GSP participants. Even a PetSmart training class would be a step in the right direction. Not knocking PetSmart, it's just their classes don't train for anything specific.

Too many people ditch the breed because of their activity level and their quirks. The fact that you say your dog should "run and rage" just reinforces my thought that you are in over your head.
Is it just me or are you coming off as and "bleep"? I'm glad you can tell whether or not someone deserves a dog without even meeting them.....

Look i'm going to through the same thing right with my 6 month old brittany. They bounce off the walls, its just what they do. They've been bread for hunting (energy and stamina required). I try to get my pup outside and running around for atleast an hour a day. Other than that, just play with them in the house.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:45 am

Do you do any kinds of training other than running with her? I've seen quite a few folks get in over their heads by getting a hot dog. Sounds like she only concentrats on one thing, burning off her energy. Need to take her mind of that and focus on things you want her to do. She's bird crazy isn't she?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:47 am

You posted about the same time I did. Answered my question. Your doing what you think you need to do to lower the energy. Doesn't seem to be working. I'd get her on birds ASAP in training fields.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Put your pup on a leash in the house when you're trying to relax. Tie it to the couch or something. I bet within 5 mins your pup will be lying at your feet. If you do this every time you sit and relax the pup will eventually learn that when you sit s/he should get comfy too.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm

media310 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:15 pm
Thanks for the Mental Stimulation for Dogs link. I also appreciate the info about mixing up the runs, smells etc. We live on a 300 acre ranch so were out exploring daily. Mostly off trail, hills, ponds, streams etc.. I think the problem is my Irish guilt, I feel awful if my dog is not getting to run and rage the way she was bread to.. I guess it's something I need to get used to when we take a day off, or two..

http://mtnweekly.com
Colorado News

You've rescued a dog, given it a much better life than it would have had. You have earned the right to decide what to do with it. Enjoy that dog.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:59 pm

How can she be a rescue if she's not spayed?

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:How can she be a rescue if she's not spayed?

Seriously, let it go.
Last edited by JWP58 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:28 pm

DogNewbie wrote:Put your pup on a leash in the house when you're trying to relax. Tie it to the couch or something. I bet within 5 mins your pup will be lying at your feet. If you do this every time you sit and relax the pup will eventually learn that when you sit s/he should get comfy too.
Yes - I forgot about this one. Worked like a champ for our 12 month old, 70 pound, unsocialized wild man last summer. I put a Herm Sprenger prong collar on him, tethered his leash to my belt, and just did my thing in the house. For him, it was freedom from the crate, so he LOVED it. Gave me situational opportunities to correct his lunging toward a cat or one of our small dogs. He settled right in and became quite the gentleman.

Another alternative we used was to tether him - flat collar - to the (heavy) entertainment center with about a 6 foot steel cable (couldn't chew on it). Critters could interact with him, he was still "part of the pack" but he couldn't raise heck in the house. That also worked well.

Finally, some folks put a lag bolt with an eye into a stud in a wall in, say, the family room - same idea. Put the dogs bed and a kong or knuckle there and go about your business. IGNORE any whining, barking and only go to him if/when he's calm and quiet.

Bottom line is that you are shaping calm, quiet behavior in the house. I like the command "Quiet." You can give intermittent food treats ("good quiet") and he may get the idea a little quicker as well.

Like the others, I give you kudos for taking on a rescue. Good luck.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:32 pm

We have 4 shorthairs. Two of which are pretty high strung. When we have an off day from training or roading and just don't want to do much I get one of my golf clubs and a tennis ball. Hit it they run bring it back and do it over & over again. They get exercise, I get to practise my swing. They love it! And after about 1/2 hr they are tired enough. In the summer, we have a baby pool that we fill with water for them to lay in to cool off after chasing after all those balls. It also has helped teach our dogs to "give" and "come". Our other two dogs don't like to play ball much but they are more laid back around the house than these two. Best of luck with your dog.
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Jager wrote:We have 4 shorthairs. Two of which are pretty high strung. When we have an off day from training or roading and just don't want to do much I get one of my golf clubs and a tennis ball. Hit it they run bring it back and do it over & over again. They get exercise, I get to practise my swing. They love it! And after about 1/2 hr they are tired enough. In the summer, we have a baby pool that we fill with water for them to lay in to cool off after chasing after all those balls. It also has helped teach our dogs to "give" and "come". Our other two dogs don't like to play ball much but they are more laid back around the house than these two. Best of luck with your dog.
Nice dog. Very nice. I admire what CG accomplished with his sire, also. I notice your did not list unbroke placements on your boy. Did he run as a Derby? Sorry for the sidetrack. I just think Nuke is a cool dog.

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:49 pm

No, never ran him in juvenile stakes. See PM.
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Kona has a kennel that is 6 by 20. She goes in it at 7 am and comes in at 9 pm. When I get home, I let her out to run the backyard and she runs on 300 acres 4 to 5 times a week. Walking/running your dog is fine but turn that dog out on some land to run. Not for nothing, more times than not you could stay at the car and watch that dog cover alot of ground fast. When she slows down she will come in. My boxer gets ran and runs beside the bike. My bird dog goes to the field to run. She gets more out of it. Running next to a bike does nothing for her.

JMO

Joe