A pointing lab is just a lab/cross

Ahumphers91a

Re: A pointing lab is just a lab/cross

Post by Ahumphers91a » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:17 am

PointingQuail wrote:Forget bloodlines. This is what I'm after. Here is my pup at 7 months and I didn't teach him this. If this isn't a pointing dog...then I don't want a pointing dog, or anything else you've got!
Not to be rude in anyway, but the look of the head seems to me there is GSP in there. I love a good lab as much as anyone, infact thats all I ever owned before these past 8 years, labs and lab shorthair crosses for weekend hunting. Doesn't mean your dog isnt good, infact I really like the look!

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:28 am

I have a blood hound that points or chocolate lab.. I call him a german shorthair though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

live4point

Post by live4point » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:35 am

A lot of people get all wound up in fancy pedigrees that don't mean squat.Those dogs with titles before their name that got them playing games going around pointing pen raised birds don't impress me at all,I've seen a many a dog with these fancy bloodlines that had won contest that couldn't find a wild bird to save their soul. If a pointing lab does the job on wild birds,he's a bird dog to me,I'll take a meat dog any day,I like to eat birds,not papers. :D

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am

I really don't care what type of you have as long as it does what YOU want it to do.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:52 am

live4point wrote:A lot of people get all wound up in fancy pedigrees that don't mean squat.Those dogs with titles before their name that got them playing games going around pointing pen raised birds don't impress me at all,I've seen a many a dog with these fancy bloodlines that had won contest that couldn't find a wild bird to save their soul. If a pointing lab does the job on wild birds,he's a bird dog to me,I'll take a meat dog any day,I like to eat birds,not papers. :D
I somewhat agree with you. I will take a pup out of two dogs without any titles if I seen them work over a number of days that were extremely impressive over a dog that I've never seen with a title. With that being said, won't you think it is a little strange with the thousands of labs that get titles every year that you can't find a PL with a pedigree.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:08 am

With all due respect, if I was evaluating that against a pointing dog standard, it wouldn't pass.
who made you the keeper of the pointing dog standard? Not all pointing dogs point with a 12 tail. That is purely a something that we have bread for, b/c someone liked at one time and it has become popular. There is no right or wrong. I have seen dogs with a 12 tail that was looking at everything but where the bird was and dogs with a low tail that you couldn't make them look away. Intensity is not about the tail!

As far as the hole pointing lab thing, funny story.

I took my dog to a popular rivers spot one time to play a little fetch in the water. As we were leaving we crested a little bank to the parking lot and a old black lab come running over the hill just as we were cresting. This dog locked up solid as can be, I want to say the owner said it was 15 years old. The owner was not a hunter and had just picked the dog up from the closest breeder to him and had no idea. The dog stood there locked up on point while we had our conversation, we walked off to the parking lot put my dog away and his dog was still standing. The owner had to grab the dog by the collar and pull him away to get him started again. I thought was very funny.

brandon

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:33 am

Are PLs be produced consistently?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:45 am

Can ya see the GSP in this one....Maybe Ebonstar Lean Mac was a pointer/Lab Cross :lol:

I don't take alot of pictures hunting with him, we busy killin birds. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No they probably aren't produced quite as consistently as pointing breeds, good breeders give point guarantees tho.....I believe more are messed up by owners not sure what to do just like pointing dogs.....If you have never seen a 10 week old lab lock up tight and stand there in a trance pointing a bird then i can see skepticism but it happens as honestly as any breed. Some of the ignorant statements people make on forums is why very few to no owners of labs that point will respond on internet forums. Why argue when you know what you got and enjoy the heck out of em.

Mine was from a straight field trial breeding with well decorated parents, maybe i should have whipped it out of him right there at 10 weeks old :roll:
Last edited by birddog1968 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:51 am

Im still not sure about the whole pointing dog challenge being used as a reference on all of these PL vs traditional pointing dog threads...... It was ONE competition folks..... Good lord. If some Junior college basketball team beats duke or Kansas in one game does that make that team better? show me the results of 20 different competitions in 20 different locations with different cover and different birds and maybe ill give that some thought.

Labs are a great dog and can more or less do it all, but even in the best PL breeding programs their is no real guarantee that you will get a dog that points. I have one of these PLs that has no desire to point. a buddy of mine bred his PL that he went to SD to get with another PL and of the 9 pups I only know of about 3-4 that will truely point. Mine is not one of them. Of course I will admit I bought her as a duck/dove retriever and had no need for a lab that pointed so maybe its my fault for not encouraging it :roll:.

If i was running a GSP or EP kennel with that kind of results I'd go hungry.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:03 am

Report this postReply with quoteRe: A pointing lab is just a lab/cross
by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:45 am

Can ya see the GSP in this one....

Looks like one of those black GSPs :lol:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:07 am

:lol: Red

Maybe I will try and get a point picture of him today ......

J&R- Reputable breeders offer a guarantee, and for the pups that might not be inclined to point you do realize well bred labs are selling for 800-1500 or more so i doubt anyone is starving :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

KellyM87

Post by KellyM87 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:47 am

Nike, not so sure this should count... I think you are enjoying if too much :)

About tbd pointing dog challenge... One contest does not mean that I
One team is better? Huh Nike? Maybe next year the will hold if in the woods. I am friends with the guy who ran it, and PLs won by more effective ground cover in an open field. Heard the pointed just as well as the other breeds though. You have to take into considation though field trial ds are not necissarily the best hunters... They gotta look food to don too. The pro who had my dog said once at the hunting dog stake at gladwin that he liked to walk the hunting dog braces do he can see where the birds are, because they to tend to find more birds. Easy to get a hunting dog. Harder for a winning trial dog, and that pointing dog challenge was mostly trial dogs.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:32 am

birddog1968 wrote:Can ya see the GSP in this one....Maybe Ebonstar Lean Mac was a pointer/Lab Cross :lol:

I don't take alot of pictures hunting with him, we busy killin birds. :P

No they probably aren't produced quite as consistently as pointing breeds, good breeders give point guarantees tho.....I believe more are messed up by owners not sure what to do just like pointing dogs.....If you have never seen a 10 week old lab lock up tight and stand there in a trance pointing a bird then i can see skepticism but it happens as honestly as any breed. Some of the ignorant statements people make on forums is why very few to no owners of labs that point will respond on internet forums. Why argue when you know what you got and enjoy the heck out of em.

Mine was from a straight field trial breeding with well decorated parents, maybe i should have whipped it out of him right there at 10 weeks old :roll:
Though I haven't got to hunt over ol Bud I have met him, and just like his owner he is nothing but a gentleman! :D :D
Last edited by ACooper on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:37 am

tn red wrote:Report this postReply with quoteRe: A pointing lab is just a lab/cross
by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:45 am

Can ya see the GSP in this one....

Looks like one of those black GSPs :lol:
Red, I not sure about that Birddog68 guy, I heard rumors that white dog he has is a brother to the black one, one he calls a pointer and the other he's calls a lab, dampest thing I've ever heard. :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:42 am

It would be one thing to run those dogs in a sanctioned AF or AKC field trial and even place, quite again another to run them in some venue most people never heard of and win. Must be nice to arange a venue that favors your perception of what a good dog is. I believe that a Lab in an AF or AKC field trial would have about as much chance of even placing as any pointing dog would at an AKC sanctioned pointing dog trial. I think the worst part is that the Lab people are trying to redefine a pointing dog and folks that don't know any better get duped. What are you gonna tell the guy that gets one, trains it and down the road decides to try his hand in a field trial?

Then it goes back to the ability of any particular dog to realiablely throw what seems to be called a trait. Several years ago we got into this on another site and I looked up every pointing Lab kennel I could find in the US. Only one would guarentee their pups would point! I find it hard believe that anyone could come up with maybe one or two pup's in a litter that point somewhat naturally and call their dogs pointing labs. And how many pointing dogs have these breedings been able to reproduce the results in other litters? How do you register a pointing lab and keep a creditable record of off spring that hunt? I don't believe AKC will touch it, you'll register them as Labs no matter what the owner might think it is. If I buy a real pointing dog from good blood lines I can be about 99.9% sure I'll get a pup that will point with a min of training. Can I do that with a Lab? I don't think so.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:46 am

I'm working on the springing english shorthairador..... don't tell no body :)

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:18 pm

DonF what lines are producing 99.9% pointing dogs that i can kill a bird over with min training?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:20 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I'm working on the springing english shorthairador..... don't tell no body :)
lshmsfoaidmt

Birddog, first off great photos. But, what scares me about these breedings revolves around your last photo, I'm guessing your dog wasn't bred to a GSP because he still has the ability to swim, and that water probably would of killed him if he was.

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:15 pm

bwjohn wrote:
With all due respect, if I was evaluating that against a pointing dog standard, it wouldn't pass.
who made you the keeper of the pointing dog standard? Not all pointing dogs point with a 12 tail. That is purely a something that we have bread for, b/c someone liked at one time and it has become popular. There is no right or wrong. I have seen dogs with a 12 tail that was looking at everything but where the bird was and dogs with a low tail that you couldn't make them look away. Intensity is not about the tail!
brandon
Can you show me in my post anywhere that I reference a tail? I think you made some assumptions there. A pointing dog is not solely judged by how their tail looks on point nor are they judged on how many birds they can point in a bird field or how many finds they had in an afternoon of wild bird hunting.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:59 pm

tn red wrote:DonF what lines are producing 99.9% pointing dogs that i can kill a bird over with min training?
GSP field lines, English Setter field lines, English Pointer lines, Brittany lines and probably more. These I amm reasonably familur with.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:05 pm

No breed of dog is 99.9, thats looking thru rose colored glasses IMHO.

It also is worth remembering most pointing dog breeds have been bred for what they do for 100-300.......or more years, while this idea of breeding special individuals within the Labrador retriever breed has been going on for what 30 years maybe. To expect the same results is an unrealistic expectation. I would also add that most who buy a lab that points could care less about trials and dog games but are hunting their dogs 6 ways to Sunday, After all isn't that what hunting dogs are really around for.....

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:44 pm

birddog1968 wrote:No breed of dog is 99.9, thats looking thru rose colored glasses IMHO.

It also is worth remembering most pointing dog breeds have been bred for what they do for 100-300.......or more years, while this idea of breeding special individuals within the Labrador retriever breed has been going on for what 30 years maybe. To expect the same results is an unrealistic expectation. I would also add that most who buy a lab that points could care less about trials and dog games but are hunting their dogs 6 ways to Sunday, After all isn't that what hunting dogs are really around for.....
So very true. I often think the main difference between hunters and trialers is that trialers hobby is training their dogs instead of hunting them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:17 pm

birddog1968 wrote:No breed of dog is 99.9, thats looking thru rose colored glasses IMHO.

I've had a nubmer of people over the years come with pointing dogs that would not point. They all did! Last one was last year. A guy from Wamic showed up with a good lookin B/W shorthair that was given to him by a bird perserve owner. The story was the dog had to much prey drive and wouldn't point. About 20 min later it was pointing. Same guy came by a couple weeks ago to get a few pigoens. That dog turned into his best dog last year. All it needed was the light turned on. All he did was to keep it exposed to birds.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Trying to put this thing back on track, I don't really care if/or how well of a pointing dog can be, just interested to know if there is enough lab blood in them that they can actually mark and retrieve. So its day 2 and knowbody has put up a pedigree or named a PL that they considered well bred. Are we all pretty much in agreement that their is no such thing as a well bred PL?

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:32 pm

Nike,

I'm not sure what it would take to please you, :) but this dogs pedigree is pretty good in my book. Here is her pedigree...Hope I'm allowed to post from a website thats not mine.
http://www.poudrerivergundogs.com/Photo ... PS-web.jpg

She is from Poudre River Pointing Labs. Their website has some good video of her too. In the video she is both pointing with extreme intensity and doing impressive marked retrieves.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Is it just me or is a GSP owner calling fowl about the lab being crossed with a pointer really just the Kettle calling the pot black???

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:Is it just me or is a GSP owner calling fowl about the lab being crossed with a pointer really just the Kettle calling the pot black???
What gsp owner is calling foul?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:46 pm

PointingQuail wrote:Nike,

I'm not sure what it would take to please you, :) but this dogs pedigree is pretty good in my book. Here is her pedigree...Hope I'm allowed to post from a website thats not mine.

She is from Poudre River Pointing Labs. Their website has some good video of her too. In the video she is both pointing with extreme intensity and doing impressive marked retrieves.

That looks like a pretty solid pedigree.

68 isnt your dog out of the Ebonstar lines as well?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:50 pm

PointingQuail wrote:Nike,

Best one I've even seen for a PL, someone actually has a program that isn't strictly breeding for pointing ability at the expense of everything else. I was hoping someone would find one that had both a FC/orAFC title along with a pointing title, but at least there are a few out there with at least a MH title being bred to some nice dogs.

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Gary over there at Poudre River does seem like he has got a good operation going. I purchased his DVD series geared towards pointing lab owners and it was very impressive. His series has four parts. Puppy Training, Upland Training, Marking, and Force Fetch. He goes into great detail and uses dogs that are being trained for the first time.

Check out his studs. They have got some good titles.
Last edited by PointingQuail on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:04 pm

The first dog i hunted over was a chessie that pointed. He also had one eye. Maybe he was just trying to see the bird . Can we make a new breed called a pointing chesapeake bay retriever? we could make millions

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm

nikegundog wrote:Trying to put this thing back on track, I don't really care if/or how well of a pointing dog can be, just interested to know if there is enough lab blood in them that they can actually mark and retrieve. So its day 2 and knowbody has put up a pedigree or named a PL that they considered well bred. Are we all pretty much in agreement that their is no such thing as a well bred PL?
And no body needs to because you haven't put up any evidence they aren't pure Labs like advertised. No need for people to disprove your hallucinations. :roll: :roll:
Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Well I just went and read some of the requirements for a pointing lab. One that really glares is the time required to hold point, Ten, that's 10, sec.! And if the dog moves without taking out the bird, it get's another ten, that's 10 sec! Thats a pretty tuff test. I've seen pointing dog puppy's hold point longer than that.

I only found that site thru an earlier post. Can't remember who posted it.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:10 pm

All that matters is if the dog is inclined to point, once you have that the rest is training/development. Some puppies are inclined to point longer than others regardless of breed, the length of point can be developed regardless of breed.

Traditional pointing dog puppies aren't born steady to wing and shot, but they sure can be trained to be.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Maybe I read it wrong but what I read was they only need to hold the point 10 sec and if they move but don't flush the bird they get another 10 sec from that point. Go read the rules! Your the one that gives them kudos.

The difference between a pointing dog that trials and one that only hunts is that to trial and place you have to meet a standard well above what is needed in a hunting dog. I suspect it's exactly the same in retriever trials. The pointing dog people did not develop the retriever standard for them, they developed their own. If those retriever people that do this pointing retriever stuff can't compete in retriever trials I would suggest they start their own off shoot trials. That's what pointing dog people did! If they want to develop their own breed of dog go ahead but call a spade a spade. The Boykin Spaniel people did that for a lot of years and Boykins breed true to type. I think I heard that AKC now recognizes the breed. Now when pointing Labs breed true to type, you may have an argument.

Don't get me wrong, I like labs. If I hunted ducks it's what I would have. How come nobody promotes flushing labs and attempts to compete with the Springer?

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:50 pm

I dont understand the argument if you dont like pointing labs fine why all the bashing.

If you dont like the dogs then fine but why just argue you not gonna get one and wont change the lab peoples mind.

If you do like them great have a blast.

My breed it better than you breed is getting old.

If you dont have anything good to say then dont.

I would not personally own a pointing lab but that is just me. But you will not hear me put them down.

DonF yes Boykins are allowing in AKC since 2009 those are some little beast!!!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:05 pm

I told you of another one last night Nike, you will also find a good bit of candlewood blood in those lab lines.....need I say more. Besides I can take you to the DelMarVa and show you thousands of labs without titles that spend their whole lives marking and handling to birds in the highest degree. Letters on a pedigree are an indication and not the end all be all...

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:55 am

There are litteraly thousands of titled pointing labradors. Have you ever heard of FC AFC Gator Pts sweet potato pie, her full brother Gator pts gentle ben? Both throw pointing labradors, FC AFC Call of the wild- throws point, full brother AFC Wingmagics Lousiana Roux--throws point, Baracuda Blue, Riptide star, Dakotas Cajun Roux, all chocolate titled dogs that throw point. This is one of the most rediculous posts I have ever heard. The truth is that there are a lot of excellent pointing labs out there, and many of them come from great hunting and titled dogs. Personally I have seen more qualified pl hunting dogs than those of other "off brand" pointer breeds. Most of watermark dogs will throw point, Ripirian dogs, and a few of the candlewood dogs. They make excellent hunting dogs if they are bred appropriatly. I have always found it funny that the guy bad mouthing PL's is typically the owner of a 30yd german shorthair, or low tailed lewellian. If it is a good dog who cares what breed it is. Plain and simple there is a heck of a lot less pointer blood in pls than in shorthairs. I personally do not know anyone that has crossed a lab with anything, and I have been around them for awhile. They are pure labradors, no question

Of course there are breeders out there that are just breeding pls for money. However, there are some out there that put as much thought in making bird dogs as those breeding pointers and setters. I hope I am one of those people. I love running pointers, and I love running pl's. If you are only looking for style then they aren't the dog for you, but they can be as intense on point as any breed.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:42 am

DonF wrote:Well I just went and read some of the requirements for a pointing lab. One that really glares is the time required to hold point, Ten, that's 10, sec.! And if the dog moves without taking out the bird, it get's another ten, that's 10 sec! Thats a pretty tuff test. I've seen pointing dog puppy's hold point longer than that.

I only found that site thru an earlier post. Can't remember who posted it.
I did. And I've been waiting patiently for someone to go to the sight, see EXACTLY what you've posted above, gain horrification & post back to this thread. So in affect- all a PL needs to do in order to PASS a Grand Master level PL test (specific to "pointing") is hold a point for 10 seconds?!?!? That's not enough for them to pass an AKC Senior Hunter test for pointing breeds, yet it's good enough for them to be declared "Grand Master" worthy by the APLA ?!?!?

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:41 am

How long do they have to point in the AKC tests? Actually based on the rules there is no set time in which a dog has to stay pointing in the AKC, only that it is pointed until the handler has a chance to work the birds. In the APLA their is a scoring sheet just like with the AKC tests, a dog must make contact with numerous birds and stay steady through wing,shot, and fall (in order to get a MPR title). As I recall that is much more then a akc SH hunt test requires, correct? Most assuredly there are GMPR pointing labs that could easily pass a MH akc hunt test for pointing dogs. The Master test in the APLA is a similiar to MH pointing test, and an advanced SH/lower level MH retriever AKC test. These stakes are ran back to back, so we are taking a dog running controlled land marks and blinds, going to the upland field and letting the dog run and point birds, back to water with blinds and long marks. The 10 seconds deal is ridiculous, I will agree with you on that. Trust me our association is always trying to move our tests forward, and raise the difficulty to make the dogs better.

Just like in the AKC their are some dogs that look terrible doing the work, but you are testing a dog against a standard for the test not a test between dogs. However, most GMPR titled dogs I believe anyone would enjoy owning. A completely broke bird dog that can turn around and do 250 yd blinds and multiple marks while duck hunting. Don't knock em till you've tried em

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:00 am

oakcreek wrote:There are litteraly thousands of titled pointing labradors. Have you ever heard of FC AFC Gator Pts sweet potato pie, her full brother Gator pts gentle ben? Both throw pointing labradors, FC AFC Call of the wild- throws point, full brother AFC Wingmagics Lousiana Roux--throws point, Baracuda Blue, Riptide star, Dakotas Cajun Roux, all chocolate titled dogs that throw point. This is one of the most rediculous posts I have ever heard. The truth is that there are a lot of excellent pointing labs out there, and many of them come from great hunting and titled dogs. Personally I have seen more qualified pl hunting dogs than those of other "off brand" pointer breeds. Most of watermark dogs will throw point, Ripirian dogs, and a few of the candlewood dogs. They make excellent hunting dogs if they are bred appropriatly. I have always found it funny that the guy bad mouthing PL's is typically the owner of a 30yd german shorthair, or low tailed lewellian. If it is a good dog who cares what breed it is. Plain and simple there is a heck of a lot less pointer blood in pls than in shorthairs. I personally do not know anyone that has crossed a lab with anything, and I have been around them for awhile. They are pure labradors, no question

Of course there are breeders out there that are just breeding pls for money. However, there are some out there that put as much thought in making bird dogs as those breeding pointers and setters. I hope I am one of those people. I love running pointers, and I love running pl's. If you are only looking for style then they aren't the dog for you, but they can be as intense on point as any breed.
So are you saying these dogs you mentioned are pointing labs or they are capable of throwing them? This is day 3 and I don't believe anyone has came up yet with an FC or AFC that has a pointing lab title also. Quite honestly any dog is capable of throwing a pointing lab if you breed them to a pointing breed.

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:26 am

This is day 3 and I don't believe anyone has came up yet with an FC or AFC that has a pointing lab title also. Quite honestly any dog is capable of throwing a pointing lab if you breed them to a pointing breed.[/quote]

If this dog isn't enough for you. . . Here he is in two places. He has exactly what you are asking for...FC or AFC that has a pointing lab title also

http://www.americanpointinglab.com/site ... fault.aspx,

http://www.jazztimelabs.com/chancepedigree.htm

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:28 am

Do MH hunter dogs count, or HRCH dogs, or QAA dogs? GMPR HRCH Rooster Smasher MH QAA, or FC-AFC-CFC-CAFC-GMPR-MHR JAZZTIME LAST CHANCE v PEKISKO I am sure I can find another. You are starting to fight an uphill battle that can't be won. Most APLA dogs are also tested within the AKC retriever hunt test standard, there are a lot of MH dogs out there that carry the GMPR title. Look at santa fe's tyra dog, she was bred to AFC louisiana roux and produced a pointing pup called "ammo", that dog just happened to become high point derby dog.

I probably should stop justifying your comments with an answer.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:40 am

If a Lab stops to point while retrieving a duck, won't he drown? :lol: :wink:
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:44 am

big steve46 wrote:If a Lab stops to point while retrieving a duck, won't he drown? :lol: :wink:

Steve for Gods sake, you know they can tread water.

Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:55 am

ezzy333 wrote:
big steve46 wrote:If a Lab stops to point while retrieving a duck, won't he drown? :lol: :wink:

Steve for Gods sake, you know they can tread water.

Ezzy

AWESOME!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:02 am

Nike you ever go watch a MH Retriever Test, that in and of itself proves the dog can be trained to the highest level.....I for one could careless if they want to play AKC field trial games with their dogs. A MH pass is good enough for me.

BTW that Jazztime last chance dog is the top of the labrador heap as far as games go.....that said I'll take mine tested in the field.

Heck my pointers have no letters around their names....guess they are crossbreeds or not capable of doing birddog work. :lol:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:17 am

PointingQuail wrote:If this dog isn't enough for you. . . Here he is in two places. He has exactly what you are asking for...FC or AFC that has a pointing lab title also

http://www.americanpointinglab.com/site ... fault.aspx,
Oakcreek wrote, Do MH hunter dogs count, or HRCH dogs, or QAA dogs? GMPR HRCH Rooster Smasher MH QAA, or FC-AFC-CFC-CAFC-GMPR-MHR JAZZTIME LAST CHANCE v PEKISKO I am sure I can find another. You are starting to fight an uphill battle that can't be won. Most APLA dogs are also tested within the AKC retriever hunt test standard, there are a lot of MH dogs out there that carry the GMPR title. Look at santa fe's tyra dog, she was bred to AFC louisiana roux and produced a pointing pup called "ammo", that dog just happened to become high point derby dog.

I probably should stop justifying your comments with an answer.
PointingQuail that is the dog I was looking for.
Oakcreek I was looking for a AFC or FC simple because the number of people titling MH retrievers is staggering, a few years ago one event had 396 dogs running masters in a to 2 day event. I asked for one titled dog and one has finally been found took 3 days to do it, that should tell you something. I looked at some of the dogs you posted and quite frankly some of those kennels make me sick, their sole purpose behind their breeding was for breeding color. People breeding just to produce chocolates have done a tremendous disservice for Labradors just as people breeding just for pointing ability. I just lost a very nice choc lab, they are few in far between to get a good one, because of lousy breeders trying to throw just chocolates. I think that list you gave show exactly whats wrong with the PL world.

Kelly this is day 3. :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:23 am

nikegundog wrote: Kelly this is day 3. :D

And the soup is becoming rancid :lol:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:42 am

Kelly this is day 3. :D[/quote]

What took 3 days was for to specifically ask for an FC/AFC GMPR dog. Once you did that it took me about 5 min to find that dog I gave you. You had been asking all along for a "well bred" lab. I gave you one of those too...It also took three days for us to find out that a well bred dog in your book must have:

AFC, AF, MPR, GMPR, JH, MH, SH, FTC, NAFTC, WC, WCI, WCE...

Next you'll be asking for labs that have titles like:

Housekeeper, Lawnmower, Master Sled puller... :D