E-Collar and water

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

E-Collar and water

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Got 2 stupid questions. :oops:

I have used an ecollar in much of my training in years past but got away from using them simply because they were not reliable. (Innotek). Never used them in the water anyway.

I have a Sport dog 1825 which is water proof. I have a little problem with Ruby. Started on land. Not coming when called off lead or cc. I have used the e collar with good success and am nearly ready to transition away from it.

The problem is now on or in the water. On a duck search once she has found the live duck or the dead planted duck. She is bringing it up to an island and just keeping it for her self. I can not get to her to make her come with the duck. Have not tried the e collar yet. (I suspect my answer is to ff the dog then move on with the training which is in the plans for winter) But in the mean time (as I write this I am falling back to my own answer), do you think I can que the dog to come and expect she will bring the duck with her or is this a recipe for failure? Seems like a dumb question to me. I am thinking failure which I do not want. What do you think.

Is an ecollar used in the water a hotter collar or the same level of stimulation.
Thanks,
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

fishpond

Re: E-Collar and water

Post by fishpond » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 pm

I had a very similar problem with my GSP. Figured it was not a good idea to use the ecollar to "here" when she

was carrying something. Was told to have her FF and some remedial "here" yard work.

It has worked out as planned.

I take my pack swimming everyday in the summer, and back off the collar's intensity a notch or two when they're wet.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Has the dog been collar conditioned to HERE?
Right now you have no effective way of correcting that the dog will understand.
Best to leave retrieiving until ff is complete.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Got 2 stupid questions. :oops:

I have used an ecollar in much of my training in years past but got away from using them simply because they were not reliable. (Innotek). Never used them in the water anyway.

I have a Sport dog 1825 which is water proof. I have a little problem with Ruby. Started on land. Not coming when called off lead or cc. I have used the e collar with good success and am nearly ready to transition away from it.

The problem is now on or in the water. On a duck search once she has found the live duck or the dead planted duck. She is bringing it up to an island and just keeping it for her self. I can not get to her to make her come with the duck. Have not tried the e collar yet. (I suspect my answer is to ff the dog then move on with the training which is in the plans for winter) But in the mean time (as I write this I am falling back to my own answer), do you think I can que the dog to come and expect she will bring the duck with her or is this a recipe for failure? Seems like a dumb question to me. I am thinking failure which I do not want. What do you think.

Is an ecollar used in the water a hotter collar or the same level of stimulation.
Thanks,
Rick
Yes, the correction is much more sharp. Learned that the hard way when my dog just about jumped out her fur. I used the same setting as I normally used - 3 out of 10- but, ....................................
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks, for the input.
I suspected so.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

larry

Post by larry » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:37 pm

If the dog is FF there is no problem. When I FF I overlay with the e-collar so I can clean up a lot of the dogs mistakes easily.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Duck search is a exstenstion of FF so if ur dog is FF you can clean this up in the yard. Send to piles of taped live ducks use the ecollar for a swiff clean retieve with a ton of praise, then let ducks walk off pile for sum distance send dog to pile , dog will track (simulated duck search on land ) walking duck keep a clean crisp retieve with using the ecollar an a ton of praise. This should over lay to water, this should clean it up. If ur dog is not FF you will need alot of luck