drilling out a blank gun cylinder

Ranger351

drilling out a blank gun cylinder

Post by Ranger351 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:37 am

I'm doing this just as a project to see how it will work. My only concern is that I got a drill bit that was smaller than the cylinder hole itself but i noticed it is still rubbing the sides a bit, not taking much if anything off at all but i can see where it has touched. As long as I'm doing this to fit the regular brown loads fro HD or Lowes should it be a problem as long as it isnt removing any metal from the sides?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: drilling out a blank gun cylinder

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 am

Are you just trying to clean out the cylinders or make them larger?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:43 am

the gun only took the short blanks and I was just removing the wedge at the end of the cylinder so it would take the regular length blanks.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 am

I'd be careful drilling any structure from the cylinders and shooting blanks the gun is not designed for. It sounds like the gun you bought was for crimps and not regular blanks. Try CCI blanks they are shorter and not as powerful. Crimps are not authorized for any AKC events. CCI 's are a crimp, but considered a blank, so are your nail blanks. Be careful with what you shoot in the gun.

mxdad777

Post by mxdad777 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:01 am

Ranger351 wrote:I'm doing this just as a project to see how it will work. My only concern is that I got a drill bit that was smaller than the cylinder hole itself but i noticed it is still rubbing the sides a bit, not taking much if anything off at all but i can see where it has touched. As long as I'm doing this to fit the regular brown loads fro HD or Lowes should it be a problem as long as it isnt removing any metal from the sides?
I drilled out the cylinder stops on my starter pistol (Olympic 6 .22 cal) and it shoots the brown loads fine. I've only put about 30 or 40 rounds through it and so far so good. I think you're going to be fine.

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 am

kensfishing wrote:Try CCI blanks they are shorter and not as powerful. Crimps are not authorized for any AKC events. CCI 's are a crimp, but considered a blank, so are your nail blanks. Be careful with what you shoot in the gun.
Ken,

Not trying to argue...but define crimp. I suspect you're talking about "acorn" crimps....mice fart louder. But as you state, CCI blanks are "crimped".

AKC should define a legal blank load along the lines of either approved, or by length.
Dan

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 am

A word to the wise, kitchen table drilling on guns of any type are a major "Bad" "Terrible" idea. Either buy a new blank gun or don't drill the old one, steel is made to withstand certain pressures in a cylinder.

Best advice: don"t drill it"

Pepper

might catch a sliver of steel from the cylinder in the ehad or worse yet, the eye
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:52 am

Wyndancer wrote:
kensfishing wrote:Try CCI blanks they are shorter and not as powerful. Crimps are not authorized for any AKC events. CCI 's are a crimp, but considered a blank, so are your nail blanks. Be careful with what you shoot in the gun.
Ken,

Not trying to argue...but define crimp. I suspect you're talking about "acorn" crimps....mice fart louder. But as you state, CCI blanks are "crimped".

AKC should define a legal blank load along the lines of either approved, or by length.
The crimps I'm talking about come in a small tin. And yes mice fart louder. That's why AKC says no. It's in the rules.

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 am

Hotpepper wrote:A word to the wise, kitchen table drilling on guns of any type are a major "Bad" "Terrible" idea. Either buy a new blank gun or don't drill the old one, steel is made to withstand certain pressures in a cylinder.

Best advice: don"t drill it"

Pepper

might catch a sliver of steel from the cylinder in the ehad or worse yet, the eye

The Olympic guns are a zinc diecasting. Certainly there are some steel pieces contained in the trigger assembly, but the frame and cylinder are zinc diecast.
Dan

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Well, that's a bigger issue - if they are zinc diecast and not steel. Cannot withstand much internal pressure at all.

One issue is that some .22 blanks (full blanks), are sealed with a wad. The true .22 blank guns have the cylinder aimed at a "splitter," a V shaped piece of metal where the barrel bore would be, to split that wad and send it sideways so it does not stick in the end of the blank barrel and build up. The .22 CB blanks ("acorns" as they are called) do not have that issue, because of the crimp and the limited capacity of the acorn blank. So guns for acorn blanks to not generally have a design that causes the wad to depart from the gun, simply because they are never going to see a wad.

So if you drill out a .22CB cylinder, and start shooting full blanks in that gun, and then you get a build up either of powder residue, or wad, or both, on the back end of the blank barrel, it reduces the distance from the end of the shell to the build up. When that build up gets big enough, it becomes, in effect, a seal to the end of the cartridge. So you manage to engineer and explosion of the cylinder (which is die cast zinc not meant to withhold any pressure), and you get metal shards flying around.

Really not a good idea. Buy a real blank gun and keep your fingers, and the dog's eyes.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:35 pm

I've noticed at times with black powder blanks when shooting down at the ground my right leg takes a beating. Just think if the barrel or cylinder explodes. My ex brother in law put rifle powder in his black powder revoler, once. Only once. He threw the gun away. He still has a scare from it.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:13 pm

I am in the camp that says it is a bad idea to modify even a blank pistol, it is designed to control a particular explosion and you shouldn't change that unless your title says gunsmith somewhere

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Chukar12 wrote:I am in the camp that says it is a bad idea to modify even a blank pistol, it is designed to control a particular explosion and you shouldn't change that unless your title says gunsmith somewhere
Hey there 'Lil Buckaroo, you just be careful with your Red Ryder ya hear. /
Dan

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:38 pm

that isn't helpful Dan...and as you well know, a bb can put an eye out or lodge under the skin and cause a very nasty infection

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:39 pm

The barrel does have the v wedge in the end of it.