Watering sytem for Johnny house

ben33127

Watering sytem for Johnny house

Post by ben33127 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:03 pm

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/pr ... c1030.html

I will be using this nipple system in my Johnny house for water. What height should I set it, and will they start drinking out of it by nature, or do I have to teach them in some way? Sorry for the dumb question, this is my first Johhny house!

Thanks for the help!

bwire

Re: Watering sytem for Johnny house

Post by bwire » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:56 pm

I think I have the bottom of my tube at 6 inches above the floor. I never had to teach the birds to drink but I did puch the pin in a few times before I put the birds in the johnny house. That way the nipples were a little wet. I think the birds will peck at just about anything to check it out and learn where the water comes from. Good luck.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I have seen a 5 gal bucket with 5-6 of them on the bottom which the guy used to water 300+ birds. The bucket was lowered by a rope and adjusted as the birds grew from 1 day old. Pretty neat stuff. Had the pens made from old garage doors. When the birds were in complete darkness for their adult life they have perfect feathers and don't pick on another

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 pm

ultracarry wrote:I have seen a 5 gal bucket with 5-6 of them on the bottom which the guy used to water 300+ birds. The bucket was lowered by a rope and adjusted as the birds grew from 1 day old. Pretty neat stuff. Had the pens made from old garage doors. When the birds were in complete darkness for their adult life they have perfect feathers and don't pick on another
Darkness will do that but the other thing it does is keep them from flying. They look pretty but are pretty much useless for training or hunting.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I used those nipples from Farmtek with a 6 inch piece of pvc pipe. I used three nipples and ran the pipe at an angle through the Johnny House. This served two purposes, 1. it gave three different heights for the birds to drink from (about 5 inches to 8 or 9 inches). Also since the pipe ends were outside, I could remove the clean out ends and refill the water as needed with contacting the birds.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
ultracarry wrote:I have seen a 5 gal bucket with 5-6 of them on the bottom which the guy used to water 300+ birds. The bucket was lowered by a rope and adjusted as the birds grew from 1 day old. Pretty neat stuff. Had the pens made from old garage doors. When the birds were in complete darkness for their adult life they have perfect feathers and don't pick on another
Darkness will do that but the other thing it does is keep them from flying. They look pretty but are pretty much useless for training or hunting.

Ezzy
These would fly down from a shelf on the top of the room. They were actually the best flight quail as far as bob's go in southern California.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:28 am

so would it be better to put one nipple on two seperate pieces of pvc or just put two nipples on one piece of pvc.....my only concern with one piece (two nipples) is will they kill one another by trampleing to get to the one water system?

chicken19590

Post by chicken19590 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:44 pm

I used 6 nipples and set at about 6 inches high. 6 nipplies is overkill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.