Another one bites the dust

JessiNGunther

Another one bites the dust

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 pm

Toy number 5 just died The stuffing ripped right out of it . Do they make a toy that a GSP will not kill with in a week ? Gunther LOVES to play fetch and would play for hours on in if we would let him. When the humans are done playing he takes his toy and chews on it until the stuffing is all over the house. he has a very high need to chew at 7 months should this not be over with ?
He gets a 2 mile walk every day and gets to run in the back yard also he will run around the barn while I feed animals . One would think he is getting enough exercise or is he ?
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Another one bites the dust

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:48 pm

JessiNGunther wrote:Toy number 5 just died The stuffing ripped right out of it . Do they make a toy that a GSP will not kill with in a week ? Gunther LOVES to play fetch and would play for hours on in if we would let him. When the humans are done playing he takes his toy and chews on it until the stuffing is all over the house. he has a very high need to chew at 7 months should this not be over with ?
He gets a 2 mile walk every day and gets to run in the back yard also he will run around the barn while I feed animals . One would think he is getting enough exercise or is he ?

Get a Galileo bone for $10, it will last for years, just don't throw it

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:49 pm

petco makes this rubber tire with a rope attached, that is the only one that has lasted in my household!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:56 pm

ben33127 wrote:petco makes this rubber tire with a rope attached, that is the only one that has lasted in my household!
+1 my dogs love the tire but they ripped apart the rope :| so they just have the tires now :D i have a med and large one and its lasted a year without a mark on it...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:09 pm

I second the Galileo - my EP's love it. They disassemble a stuffed animal in nothing flat. We call it "creamy white filling."

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:11 pm

I have had good luck with the unstuffed furry toys. No stuffing to pull out and for some reason my Brittany likes to carry it around, but doesn't shred it like she does with stuffed toys. Look up Crazy Critter stuffing free dog toys, I have 2 and they have lasted 6 + months. Kong also makes good toys that last. In addition to the hard rubber ones they make some throw toys that have a furry cover of some sort.
I got one of those tire rope things, designed for big dogs and my Britt had eaten a third of the tire within 15 minutes of getting home. The store was nice enough to give me my money back, especially when they saw the little dog that did it.
I have tried several Nylabones including the Galileo and she looks at me like I am trying to trick her, she just won't sit and chew them, even when there is nothing else.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Kong.

Put treats inside, cap with cheapo peanut butter and freeze. Get 2 kongs and rotate them. It'll keep a dog occupied and help satisfy their desire to chew.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:28 pm

The Black Kong toy is very tough, mine hates rubber though. Can't beat a Kong toy for durability and fetching fun.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Do they make a toy that a GSP will not kill with in a week ?
Someone musta bred pit bull into these dogs :) I give mine large rawhide chews, a bone made of some super material with a chewy in the middle, one pair of shoes :( no animal bones tho.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Red

Post by Red » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm

For balls try a racquetball ball, takes my GSP a few months to break...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

Thorina

Post by Thorina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:19 pm

I am a noob, so take my advice with the grain of salt, it's not gospel.

I have had 2 puppies for 6 weeks that were weaned too early. They are VORACIOUS chewers.
Here is what I have found works fairly well:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/ ... G_5931.jpg

A) "puff ball"...not sure it's official name, but it is a ball made of polar fleece. They are in the clearence bins at PetCo for about $1. We have 3 in use, they love them, but have yet to shread one.

B) A "rope dog"...again, not sure what it's actually called...it's a stuffed animal made of the same stuff rope bones are made of. This is their second, it's "pricey" at $8ish. Fairly durable, IMO.
Do NOT try to vacuum up the pieces.

C) Stuffed bird...came in a 3 pack at PetSmart in the clearance bins for $1 SCOUR the clearance bins....I've found 4 packs of these, thus far. They don't last very long, but they are cheap and the dogs seems to love killing the cr*p out of them.

D) Bumper dogs...same as above, found them for $1 in 3 packs

E) A really expensive stuffed tiger and baby that they have yet to destroy. It's in their crate....Stan especially likes to cuddle with it. He's more prone to "stuffing removal"....and he hasn't shreaded it yet. ??????????? Who knows why? :?

F) Rope from the hardware store. 100 feet for about $4. :P
(all cotton rope would be far better if you're going to go out and buy rope for this purpose...I had it in the garage already. You can tie it in any configuration you want, soak the rope and use a well secured vise to pull tight, let it dry and the knots will keep)

G) No! I said NO! I SAID NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Target $7.99....not reccommended as a chew toy. :D

I have 2 baby kongs and 2 regular Kongs and 3 different kinds of the kong canned filling junk, one kind of "push in" harder treats, and have used peanut butter...tried regular and chunky. They just aren't interested...neither one of them. :(

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:40 pm

Any stuffed toys at our house become skins in no time so for play toys I use the fleece blankets that have been ripped and chewed, cut them into strips, braid them, tie the ends. The fleece blankets are cheap at a local resale shop.

Mine have destoyed even the black kongs so once they've cleaned the marrow and meat I take the hollow bones cap the bottow with peanut butter fill with yogurt mixed with carrots, banana, oatmeal, kibble, whatever. Then cap the other end with peanut butter and freeze.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:12 pm

How "ratty" do you let the toys get before taking away. My pup has a few nylabones and the black tire rubber toys, but she has been able to wear the edges down. The tire especially, 5 minutes after I gave it to her she was breaking hunks of it off.

-John

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 pm

My dogs don't have toys so I have never had that problem. If they need something to chew on get them a bone. If they need something to play with, spend more time with them or enlist the neighbor kids. And the most important thing is tire them out as much as you can with outside exercise.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 pm

ben33127 wrote:petco makes this rubber tire with a rope attached, that is the only one that has lasted in my household!
+1...this has been the best toy for my dogs so far as well
Bill

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Ours get ropes to chew on, and I pick up a patella for each of them whenever I get a bag of feed.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Black Kong toy you can stuff dog biscuits inside of and mine also have a really thick rope with a knot on each end and rubber surrounding the part between the 2 knots and the rubber is supposed to be chicken flavored. They have had these toys for a year now and other than being dirty from being in the back yard they are none the worse for wear. The Kong toy is roughly the size of an adult quail and mine love fetching it.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:39 pm

ezzy333 wrote:My dogs don't have toys so I have never had that problem. If they need something to chew on get them a bone. If they need something to play with, spend more time with them or enlist the neighbor kids. And the most important thing is tire them out as much as you can with outside exercise.

Ezzy

I bet your kids loved you at Christmas time. Funhater. :lol:

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 am

Get a Galileo bone for $10, it will last for years, just don't throw it
I have 2 of these that the dogs love to chew on. Soft toys can end up being a disaster for an aggressive chewer. I would never let him have one unsupervised. Not worth a trip to the vet and possible surgery if a piece gets stuck in his stomach/intestine. There are some tough toys made out of firehose that are fairly rugged.

You asked if a 2 mile walk was enough exercise. That wouldn't even take the edge off my GSP. Can you take him anywhere to run? A tired GSP is a good GSP. :-)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:21 am

jlp8cornell wrote:You asked if a 2 mile walk was enough exercise. That wouldn't even take the edge off my GSP. Can you take him anywhere to run? A tired GSP is a good GSP. :-)
Too right. With you guys way out in the country, running them off horseback or ATV would be great.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 am

I live in heck AKA New Mexico so no real free running because of rattlesnakes and cactus. I just pulled a ton of cactus out of his leg last night :( I'm going to do 2 miles twice a day and get some tuff Chew toys and see if that helps . As it gets cooler I may get to get a 3rd 2 mile walk in. It's going to get really fun around here this winter when it's 40 below like it was last winter :roll:

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:43 am

If you can't run him, how about letting him trot besides you while biking. Or swimming?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:43 am

Maybe roading rather than free running, then. Here is a commercial rig http://www.lcsupply.com/LCS-ATV-Roading ... tinfo/ATV/ . You can build similar pretty easy I've seen it done with PVC pipe, even.

Road them on a dirt or gravel road for 30 minutes or so.

An alternative, if you have the right trail or road is a dog scooter. http://www.dogscooter.com/ .

Greg J.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:50 am

On the 2 mile walk, if you can't let him free run, put him on a check cord, he'll cover way more ground in that 2 miles that way.
tommyboy72 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:My dogs don't have toys so I have never had that problem. If they need something to chew on get them a bone. If they need something to play with, spend more time with them or enlist the neighbor kids. And the most important thing is tire them out as much as you can with outside exercise.

Ezzy

I bet your kids loved you at Christmas time. Funhater. :lol:
My first thought reading Ezzy's post was similar. A good buddy of mine told me that bird dogs were great practice for kids, as you raise and train them pretty much the same way.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 am

I get the PVC fittings ..The dogs love to toss them around in the kennel
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:08 am

Red wrote:For balls try a racquetball ball, takes my GSP a few months to break...
Will they not get them stuck in their throat ? Im not a racquetball player so I don't know .
Ours get ropes to chew on, and I pick up a patella for each of them whenever I get a bag of feed.
I had a Great Dane eat the whole rope . I'll spare you the details of how I found out.

mit

Post by mit » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Webster loves these rings! they are called - JW Pet Invincible Chains Dog Toys & I bought them at petsmart. He loves to run with these in his mouth, fetch them and play tug of war.

Red

Post by Red » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Will they not get them stuck in their throat ? Im not a racquetball player so I don't know
Hasn't happen yet, LOL, he lays on his back with the ball in his mouth and plays with it.. Just a tad smaller then a tennis ball..
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

steamer

Post by steamer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:58 pm

+1 on the pvc mine loves 2" couplings they are cheap, easy for him to pick up, and he has yet to destroy one . a few teeth marks thats about it. i think anything with rope or string is a very bad idea its way to easy for a dog to swallow it and cause some serious health problems. jmo

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:15 pm

mit wrote:Image
Webster loves these rings! they are called - JW Pet Invincible Chains Dog Toys & I bought them at petsmart. He loves to run with these in his mouth, fetch them and play tug of war.
That's awesome !

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Red wrote:
Will they not get them stuck in their throat ? Im not a racquetball player so I don't know
Hasn't happen yet, LOL, he lays on his back with the ball in his mouth and plays with it.. Just a tad smaller then a tennis ball..
Next time I head into the big city I will see if I can find some.

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Tuffy's "Ultimate Gear" dog toys - they come in different shapes, sizes, and "chew" levels - so be sure and pick out the highest level chew-ability (their Tuff Scale rating -- you'll want at least a 9, and 10 is the best) ;-) Amazon has had these at prices much better than the retail chains.

It seems that our dogs over the decades have all had a dire desire to remove squeakers from their toys... might as well have thrown our $$ in the trash. Until these Ultimate Gear toys, there hadn't been a squeaky toy around the property that survived more than an hour or two -- this particular UG toy is already three months old. And... these toys float, and can be washed.
DSC07112.JPG
DSC07113.JPG

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 am

Be careful with racquetballs, according to our vet the slick surface makes them easier to swallow. Found that out after our Lab got a hold of one and swallowed it which required surgery. Lacrosse balls hold up pretty well and are larger, just don't throw them in the house....

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:22 am

stlgsp wrote:Be careful with racquetballs, according to our vet the slick surface makes them easier to swallow. Found that out after our Lab got a hold of one and swallowed it which required surgery. Lacrosse balls hold up pretty well and are larger, just don't throw them in the house....
Ah good to know.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:49 am

Stay away from stuffed toys. For one thing, some of them have eyes or noses that are just made wrong, with pins or metal loops that the dog will wind up swallowing. But the worst is the fabric. If the dog gets too much fabric, or fabric of the wrong shape in its gut, it can result in bloat, which means expensive surgery or the dog dies. Stuffed toys might work for chihuahuas and toy poodles. Sporting dogs, when young, will just chew them up.

On top of the hazard, you are teaching the dog to chew fabric, so the next thing they will do is raid the laundry basket and swallow a sock, and that is a really serious threat to the dog.

I have found that rawhide bones work ok, they are at least somewhat digestible. Some people say stay away, they are just as bad if not worse than fabric. When we have pups, we either use objects that are too big for them to chew up, like a tennis ball, they can gnaw on it but when small can't cause much damage, or the hard rubber stuff like the kong that really doesn't come apart no matter what the dog does to it.

First rule is keep the pup safe.