The highest calling

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

The highest calling

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 am

Over the preceding weekend, one of my dogs answered the call...to what I believe is the highest calling to which a dog can aspire.

My boy Blue went to my son's home where he will be my grandson Matthew's very first dog.

Since Matthew is 15 months old and relatively new to walking and Blue is 5 years old and about sixty some pounds of horseback pointer, there was some concern as to how this was going to shake out, especially at first. Blue is a pretty mellow dog but he is incredibly powerful. He can literally pull an adult(me) off their feet.

I needn't have worried. After letting Blue run in their back yard for about 20 minutes, they brought Matthew out. He walked up to the dog and Blue just stood there and sniffed him. After about 10 minutes of getting acqainted, blue put up his paws to play and knocked Matty off his feet, at which point he began to cry. Blue did not know what to do. he rolled over, then nuzzled Matthew. all of which obviously only made him cry louder. The dog did not know what do do and was beside himself.

After a brief intermission, Matthew again came outside and started walking around. Blue kept his distance. Matthew walked toward the dog and then when Blue started to come to him, Matty turned and waldked away with Blue following. Matthew stopped and looked back and Blue dropped like a stone onto his belly. Matthew turned and continued to walk and Bue got up and followed. Three times Matthew turned to look and three times Blue hit the deck.

That is when I knew in my heart, that things were going to work out just fine. My wife and I left shortly thereafter, knowing that Blue had graduated to a little boy's best buddy which is just about as good as it gets for a dog. The next day my daughter called and said that in the morning she was carrying Matthew and the dog wanted to jump up, but he waved him away and Blue just stood there and followed them around. By the afternoon Matthew was walking around the yard, picking up Blue's toys and handing them to him.

Not too awful bad for an aloof, independent, horseback field trial bred pointer.

This is the very first adult dog I owned that did not live out their entire life at my house. My son will hunt him some, as his job and family responsibilities permit, but his field trial career is pretty much over and that is fine. He has a much more important job now.

RayG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: The highest calling

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:55 am

You nailed it Ray.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:09 am

Best post on this site in ages! Thanks for sharing this awesome story.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:16 am

That's awesome sounds like everything is going to work out :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 am

Gotta love a smart dog, nice story Ray !
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:52 am

Great post for sure !
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 am

There is one thing seriously missing with your post ray :|

and that is PICTURES :mrgreen: :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 am

"Gentlemen of the jury, the best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter whom he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us -- those whom we trust with our happiness and good name -- may become traitors in their faith. The money that a man has he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog.

"Gentlemen of the jury, a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow, and the snow drives fiercely, if only he can be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

"If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace, and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

loooove this quote and your grandson could not get a more greater gift then mans best friend....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 am

kninebirddog wrote:There is one thing seriously missing with your post ray :|

and that is PICTURES :mrgreen: :lol:
AMEN :D

Ruth that is beautiful almost made a girl get all misty eyed
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:14 am

Some years ago I wrote the story of Reba, a true gift to our house, who took care of my son who was high functioning autistic. Their first meeting was a little like what you describe, didn't know what to make of each other, and at one point Reba barked being a little afraid, and Steven cried. But they became fast friends for as long as her life lasted. He will tell you today if you ask him, that Reba saved his life, gave him comfort when human touch would not, saw him through the most difficult of times. He will be graduating from technical college in a year or so, will have a job and a place in life.

Reba whelped a litter 9 years ago, and then left this earth a couple of years later. One of the pups became the 2x NGSPA National Champ. Spot was a smiler, and was known on the circuit to give a grin and ask for a pet from everyone and anyone. Today, he is retired and lives in my house, where my now 7 year old grandson also lives. They too, did not know what to make of each other when grandson first came to my house. Grandson wanted to ride Spot and Spot did not like that. Spot had also never seen a human that was his height, he thought it must be some kind of space creature. But they figured out their terms of endearment. Grandson is a really good kid, and does not have many bad days, but when he does he goes to Spot and his sister, Whitey, for comfort. Always gets it and as long as they have breath, he always will.

I had "my" first dog at age 5, was going through some hip problems back then. My grandfather's hunting cocker, "Cockie" adopted me. Have had dogs my entire life since then, except for a few years in college, I am guessing you have too, Ray.

Hard bitten? Aloof? Would rather just be off running some where? Too much to handle?

Right.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 am

Everybody - thanks for sharing. This is good stuff. Brings a smile to my face. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Awesome, just awesome.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:49 pm

And thus is the real reason we all have dogs.
The ribbons and accolades are nice, but never will replace that look in a dogs eyes, that paw on your lap, and that dedication they give to us.

Good job Ray!!!!!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Thank you for sharing. Just reinforces one of, if not the main reason we get into the sport. Aside from the great pleasure of developing a dog, it brings family and friends together. I know it may sound silly, but I'll go to bed tonight feeling better about things. Thanks again.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:55 pm

fuzznut wrote:And thus is the real reason we all have dogs.
The ribbons and accolades are nice, but never will replace that look in a dogs eyes, that paw on your lap, and that dedication they give to us.

Good job Ray!!!!!
Fuzz
Couldn't have said it any better. Great story Ray! It's amazing what they can do when put in certain situations.

With me losing my britt yesterday, the thing that helped the most was seeing this when i got home......................................................
IMAG0255.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:21 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
fuzznut wrote:And thus is the real reason we all have dogs.

Good job Ray!!!!!
Fuzz
Couldn't have said it any better. Great story Ray! It's amazing what they can do when put in certain situations.

With me losing my britt yesterday, the thing that helped the most was seeing this when i got home......................................................
IMAG0255.jpg
Sorry to hear about your loss jarbo.