Invisible dog fence

JessiNGunther

Invisible dog fence

Post by JessiNGunther » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 am

Has any one used one of theses ? I have two dogs now one is a fence jumper will this type of fence work with the jumper ?
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Invisible dog fence

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 am

I use it and love it. When the dogs are trained correctly the fence is a GREAT tool. I have 1 GSP and 2 EPs. One of my EPs was a kennel climber and jumper and he does great with it. Here he is chillin with the GSP...

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:23 am

I used an invisible fence for my Shorthairs. They would rip over a 6 ft privacy fence so fast it would make spiderman cry. I bought the fencing that just laid on the ground. It worked very well. Mine had a beep first and then shocked them. They learned pretty quick. I ran the cable around the fence and then continued it around the front of the house. I set it up so the collar would beep if they went to close to the front door or any open windows. Once they learn to excape the little devils are always looking for you to not pay attention. Good luck. It's better to stay ahead. Don't want anything to happen to that purty pup.

Joe

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:38 am

I've run hot wire around the top of the existing fence. Couple of zaps and no more escapees or even attempts. The thing I don't like about invisible fencing is that it keeps your dogs in, but doesn't keep other dogs out.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:59 am

I was thinking about doing the electric fence around the top of my fence but i really don't want to look at it. I have all the stuff to do a e fence so it would be cheeper.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:07 am

What's to look at? :lol: Tuck the charger into a corner. You can't even see the wire. The yellow insulators can be spray painted if another color is less objectionable.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 am

I have an e-fence and love it. Yes, shags is correct it doesn't keep other dogs out, but I don't have that problem where I live. It took about a month to train each of my GSP's and they will not break the barrier. They can be full bore chasing a rabbit and will slam on the breaks when they know they are near the line.
I started with the brand name Invisible fence but do not recommend them to anyone and I told them I wouldn't. Purchased lifetime warranty on collar and when it went bad could not get a response from anyone, even corporate. Removed their equipment and had another brand installed. This one I can adjust the field and collar intensity by myself without having to call a tech in as with the other brand.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am

I was thinking about doing the electric fence around the top of my fence but i really don't want to look at it. I have all the stuff to do a e fence so it would be cheeper.
E fence wire is very small gauge and is silver metal color, I cant see it up close yet alone far away. The pet safe buried wire fence is what I use, black wire along the fence 4 acres lets the dogs run free and keeps them out of the neighbors yards. Cant tell it s even there.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 pm

We have an e-fence and I can't say enough good things about it. We purchased ours from Pet Stop and enclosed about an acre and a half with it. We have never had an issue getting replacement batteries ect. It only took a couple of weeks for our GSP to learn how to use it.

Similar to what tnbndr shared, our GSP could be out in the yard and take off after a cat or a squirrel and she will not cross the fence. On the occasion we have forgot to put her fence collar on she will still respect the fence boundaries. For us the e-fence was an invaluable investment.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:55 pm

shags wrote:I've run hot wire around the top of the existing fence. Couple of zaps and no more escapees or even attempts. The thing I don't like about invisible fencing is that it keeps your dogs in, but doesn't keep other dogs out.

Good point. ALOT of folks dont even think about that!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm

If the dog does get out, the invisible fence will tend to keep the dog out. Some dogs, when excited, will bull right through . The training is important. I watched a dog spend an afternoon trying to find an opening. She crawled up till the fence stung her, then tried a different spot to check it out.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Was at the vets yesterday getting my male tested before breeding this weekend, a guy came in covered in blood and the techs rushed out with a stretcher. turns out he had a invisible fence which his dog ran through and got hit by a car. It was not even a hunting dog. Dogs with a high prey drive will go right through them after something, but they wont come back in :lol: The other down side is they do nothing to keep other dogs or unwanted animals out.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:21 am

Last house I had it, very scary and dangerous road. The dogs were great on it. They learn quick where they can and cannot go!
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:12 am

Dogs with a high prey drive will go right through them after something, but they wont come back in
My shorthairs wont run thru it, I use the stubborn dog collars, 5 levels of stimulation it beeps first, then vibrates then shocks. There is a vid comes with shows you how to train the dog to the fence, Dont do this and the results may not be the best. Ya dont just slap a collar on the dog and turn it loose without introducing it slowly to the stimulation.

Or go to Tractor Supply and buy a electric fencer for 20.00 and run a hot wire on the top of the fence it will keep yers in and theirs out.

Train the dog is key. As for prey drive, my dogs watxched 4 deer cross their field, as soon as deer got to the inside of the fence dogs went right after them, the dogs know the fence. Been using it for 8 years now. Got 7 dogs on collars right now at home they will not cross the line.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Georgia Hunter

Post by Georgia Hunter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:27 am

Ive heard good things about them and considered getting one for my dog when we move. But my buddy from school had a dog (not hunting) and they had an e-fence. That dog learned if she could deal with a couple seconds of shock then she would be free. I think it would work for most dogs but not all of them

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:55 am

I have been thinking about getting an invisible fence for my dogs. At first I was concerned they would just bolt through it but after reading several peoples stories on here I have more confidence it will work.

My one question is what brands are people using? All the brands in the stores are pretty expensive, but if you look on EBay there are 2 dog models that come with vibrate for around 50 bucks. Does anyone know if these are any good? Im sure too some extent you get what you pay for. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks

rollick

Post by rollick » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 am

Listen to the posters who are saying training is key--they are absolutely correct! My fence even keeps my Bluetick/Walker coonhound in--and that sucker is a hunting fool. But you can NOT stint on the training. Good luck!

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:32 am

We use the wireless one for our inherited house dogs and it works great! As said before training is the key to them working!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:15 pm

My one question is what brands are people using? All the brands in the stores are pretty expensive, but if you look on EBay there are 2 dog models that come with vibrate for around 50 bucks. Does anyone know if these are any good? Im sure too some extent you get what you pay for. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks
I am not familiar with the various brands, but my daughter had a cheap brand and was not satisfied. She later got a different brand and has been very pleased for the last 5 years or so.
I have a friend that use to sell K-Mart returns at flea markets. He had a lot of invisible fences which would indicate that the original purchaser was not satisfied.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Thank you all for your help. But since I live out in the middle of BFE and I have every thing for electric fence I'm Just going to run it on top of the adobe wall in my back yard. Really didn't want to see the wire or yellow insulators but Free beats the heck out of buying a whole new set up.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:33 am

what brands are people using?
I use the pet safe radiofence for stubborn dogs, collaes use a 9 s, I can wire up to 25 acres with it. Got the last one off ebay for 71.00 shipped to my house had a transmitter collar and 500 ft of wire. I gfo to menards and get a solid copper insulated wire in 500 ft rolls and wired up 4 acres. Comes with a vid on how to train and a bunch of flags used to mark the boundary, after a week you remove every other one and so on till they are all gone, then for new dogs I walk them on a leash around the perimeter and let them find it on leash so they dont go nuts trying to get out of the boundary.

I got 6 out there right now, bring a steak or someribs set em outside the boundary they will still be there in the afternoon my dogs will not go thru that boundary.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Petsafe is/has been a very reliable brand for us.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:12 pm

I switched to the Dog Watch brand after bad dealings with Invisible Fence (the brand). They will sell you lifetime warranties and then not get in touch with you to honor that warranty. Meanwhile I was without a working collar. Fortunately for me my persistant training paid off and mine won't even leave without their collars on. They honor and respect the boundaries. Gave me time to research and find a reliable company, so far.

gspmike

Post by gspmike » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:11 am

We use the Petsafe brand and we are 100% happy with it! And to be honest, we've found it took very little training for out weim and our 9.5 week old gsp picked it up within a couple of days! Next time we'd like to try the wireless type though, so that if we go to friends, parents, cottage or anything, we can take it with us.

Griffsmom

Post by Griffsmom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:24 am

We have the Sportdog fence and couldn't be happier with it. You can adjust the boundary of the fence and the sensitivity on the collar and we have maybe 3 acres fence and it hasn't let us down. We had a lightening strike take out the box and I called and they sent me a new one out immediately. Great service dept. means alot to me.