Has anyone ever had hardware put in thier bodies?

Munster

Has anyone ever had hardware put in thier bodies?

Post by Munster » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:45 pm

About 10 years ago I took a 20 ft treestand tumble( Had harness, fell before I got in) I ended up breaking my upper arm bone in half. The repaired it with plate and screws and things have been good.

About 1 year ago I start having pain and weakness in that arm, not much to complain about. But now it can be excurtiating pain when I do simple tasks like open a jar or even trying to heel my dogs.

I am wondering if the plate or screws could have cracked my bone or something? Can these things shift? The pain goes from my elbow all the way down to my hand, no real pain at the site.

Just hoping someone else hs experienced something like this and can maybe give me an idea on what to do.

Thanks
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Has anyone ever had hardware put in thier bodies?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Haven't experienced anything like you have but I can give you some good advice and that is see your doctor now. Nobody else can tell you what has happened till they x-ray it and see. I hadmy hip x-rayed to see why it was hurting.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 pm

PM Sent

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Yes. I have had 2 extensive back surgeries. They were both in my mid twenties and only a couple years apart. I have Rods, Plates, and screws along with all but one of my Lumbar vertebre fused solid, and part of my sacrum.

It sucks, I hurt constantly everyday, all day long. There is never a point where I don't have pain. The doc's say all they can do is manage it. I have the option of decreased activity and Narcotic pain meds along with a litany of muscle relaxers and such OR a Nerve Implant Stimulator. I chose to stay with option 1. With a NIS you have to be completely sedintary. :|

Can't wait to see how I'll feel in 8 more years when I'm 40. :lol: - Could always be worse though... My mom has been battling cancer for 10 years or so, and has had more operations than I can remember. Despite how bad you think you have it, someone else always has it worse. Count your blessings.

God bless and Good Luck to you.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:37 pm

broke my leg in high school football plate and screws, i've since broke 4 of the screws had two of em removed the others are not causing any pain so they can stay for now. i'd guess you have something else going on other than your hardware sounds like a nerve problem with the pain running all the way down like that

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:42 am

I have 3 staples holding my achiles tendon to my heel, one of which broke, as the result of breaking my heel and having it redone. There are days it hurts and days it doesnt, you can even feel the broken staple now! My 19 year old son has 2 plates and 19 screws in his forearm following 7 surgeries and bone graphs over a two year span. He has pain often in the arm and wrist most times. We don't know if its from the hardware or the trauma of eveything that happened to his arm. The last surgery he had on his arm was either going to work or he would come out without his arm, we thank God daily he still has his arm even with it not working 100%. Sorry I got side tracked, anyway he and I both, him esp., have x-rays from time to time to check our hardware. So I think I would have it checked to be on the safe side and avoid further damage and pain!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 am

I broke my right humerus (upper arm) 4 yrs ago and have a rod going through the bone and a screw at the shoulder holding it in place. One screw, just above my elbow, was removed a year after it was put in. My ortho did x-rays ever month to make sure the bone healed thoroughly, and I had to use an ultrasound bone growth stimulator 2 x a day. It took 11 months for it to be healed "enough" (it looked only half healed on the x-rays).

I still have some discomfort at the shoulder from the remaining screw. With repetitive motion, my rotator cuff becomes inflamed and is painful.

Before:

After:

This past November I had my left ACL replaced with donor ACL, so a couple of screws are holding that in place also. It's ALMOST as good as new...I'm told it takes a full year, so 3 1/2 months to go.

If you're having that much pain at the surgery site, I'd be making an appointment with an orthopedist to have x-rays done of the area. It is possible that the hardware has shifted or screws have worked their way out.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks, what is happening is kinda typical. It was killing me last night, took some meds and today it feels ok. Makes me lean towards everything is fine. But, i think I willput a call in to the doc anyways. Frustrates me as it is hard to even give a "heel" correction without it flaring up again.
With bow season around the corner I better get on it!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:50 am

One thing you need to be careful of is infection in the bone. Doc visit makes sense. I have been refusing ankle replacements, fusing and reconstruction because the down side is higher percentage than the good that may come from it.

Have a friend that had screws holding his ahilles tendon to the bone, after a year or two they worked them selves out and caused an infection. He luckily got to it quick and all is good now.

Good luck
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick