Dog lonelyness

Georgia Hunter

Dog lonelyness

Post by Georgia Hunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:06 am

Lately my lab has been whining and howling cause hes lonely from my other dogs passing. How can I get him to stop? I cant buy another dog, just cant afford it. I play with him alot, I walk him, he sleeps inside next to my bed but when I let him outside for a little bit he starts whining. He and the other dog never really played together just cause she was so old. Is there anything I can do or just ride it out and hope he gets over it?

JessiNGunther

Re: Dog lonelyness

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:26 am

I have never dealt with this but I would say wait it out and see. Maybe call a friend that has dogs and let the dogs run and play together ? Maybe take your dog to a dog park.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:26 am

"Dog parks" have a number of negatives.

How lomg has your other dog been gone, Georgia Hunter? This is unfortunately pretty standard for dogs (and people) who lose a loved companion. You will both get over it, mostly. We who have house dogs have all been through it.

Georgia Hunter

Post by Georgia Hunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:05 pm

She died just the other day. We were debating on putting her down but she got a little better and some family stuff came up so we had to wait and the heat got to her first

Ive been trying to do more and more stuff with him its just not enough for him. I thought about the dog park but if its not good then I wont

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:07 pm

You might check at the shelter and see if you could find a dog to keephim company but will bet he gets better soon.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Give it (and you and your dog) some more time. Don't jump in and get what might be the wrong dog too early. And your present dog might not be too thrilled either. Just keep spending time with him, (factoring in the heat), doing what you're doing. A few days is way too soon for man or dog to adjust to losing a real pal, no matter what you do. I'll bet plenty of tough guys here will tell you that..and their eyes won't be dry when they're typing.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Just sold my female pup (8 months old) and my male is howling also. As much as she bugged him he misses her. He has another female coming in for breeding this weekend so hopefully that will take his mind off of it. :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Get him a bottle of Daniels and put some George Jones music on for him,it'll help for a while :lol:
Seriously the old saying Time will heal the hurt.
Dog On Point!!

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 pm

ezzy333 wrote:You might check at the shelter and see if you could find a dog to keephim company but will bet he gets better soon.

Ezzy
+1 adopt a rescued gun dog, or a couch potato, save a dog's life ... actually, two!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:45 am

If you don't want to rescue right now, you could always foster a dog. Hit ruth up, i believe she fosters. It might be a great way for your dog to get used to dogs coming in and out. I know a few people that foster and they may have the dog for a few weeks to a couple of months. This will save the dogs life and help your pooch in the process. This way your not stuck with a dog that you don't want.

Joe

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:47 am

BoJack wrote:Get him a bottle of Daniels and put some George Jones music on for him,it'll help for a while :lol:
Seriously the old saying Time will heal the hurt.
LOL i almost spit all over my computer! I think the George Jones will just make it worse, nobody sings a sad song like "no-show"...
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)