PF Fest in KC - Question

prairiefirepointers

PF Fest in KC - Question

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 am

Since there has been alot of interest in the National Pheasant Fest & Quail Classic that is being held in Kansas City, Feb 17-19th 2012. I would love to get some input from the masses here on GDF. We are definately planning on attending, whether or not we put up a booth remains to be seen at this point. I have until Jan 1st to decide.

So... I was wondering (since I've never been) what are you most interested in doing?

Watching demonstrations on dog training and tips?

Watching product demonstrations and/or seeing products you might be interested in? If so, what products would you like to see?

Buying training & Dog supplies? If so, what products/goods will you most likely be interested in purchasing? Would you be shopping for smaller ticket items like: Collars, checkcords, & game shears, ect - OR will you be looking to purchase larger ticket items like: E-Collars, Remote Bird Lauchers, or a GPS tracking collar?

I am just trying to get a feel well ahead of time of what people are planning on doing and possibly purchasing on their visit to the PF Fest 2012. Your input is greatly appreciated and I hope to see you there!

Thanks! :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

JessiNGunther

Re: PF Fest in KC - Question

Post by JessiNGunther » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:24 am

I really REALLY want to go and my main 2 reason is i want to

1. See demonstrations on dog training and tips

2.Watching product demonstrations and seeing products I'm interested in

The whole buying things such as collars and training tools I do on line and I really look around to get the best bang for my buck. Not saying that I wont buy anything ya never know when you just might stumble onto a good deal.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:52 am

FWIW - I worked our NAVHDA chapter booth at Pheasant Fest last year in Omaha. There was a booth down from us that was selling collars that they put the name plates on and they were busy the whole time it seemed.
I like the training seminars myself but you don't make money off them:wink:

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:11 pm

High Voltage wrote:FWIW - I worked our NAVHDA chapter booth at Pheasant Fest last year in Omaha. There was a booth down from us that was selling collars that they put the name plates on and they were busy the whole time it seemed.
Ya, if you're going to set up a booth to make money, you have to move a heck of a lot of merchandise to cover your overhead costs of just booth rental, electricity, and insurance. However, the advertising/exposure would be phenomenal.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:23 pm

I plan to go to see the dog training demonstrations. I might just learn something new! And, I'm sure I can't walk out of there without buying something, so I'll be looking at new products and dog training equipment. If you decide to get a booth, let us know. I will be sure to stop by and visit.

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:11 am

Never been to one but with it this close to home I will have to go! Having never been I would say soaking up anything to do with dog training would be a plus for me!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:26 am

If I get a chance to go, I would mainly just be walking around, visiting the different booths and meeting people. I would probably buy some smaller ticket items...It seems like I am always needing collars, leads, etc. I am not too interested in the seminars, as I doubt there would be much to gain from the short seminars.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 am

Prairie Hunter wrote:If you decide to get a booth, let us know. I will be sure to stop by and visit
Me too.
prairiefirepointers wrote:I am just trying to get a feel well ahead of time of what people are planning on doing and possibly purchasing on their visit to the PF Fest 2012.
Beer booth with mic amber bock.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:16 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:
High Voltage wrote:FWIW - I worked our NAVHDA chapter booth at Pheasant Fest last year in Omaha. There was a booth down from us that was selling collars that they put the name plates on and they were busy the whole time it seemed.
Ya, if you're going to set up a booth to make money, you have to move a heck of a lot of merchandise to cover your overhead costs of just booth rental, electricity, and insurance. However, the advertising/exposure would be phenomenal.
FWIW if i were to set up a booth i would do merchandise with peoples favorite gundog on them such as mugs, hats, shirts, keychains ect..i worked a booth at the dog show in michigan as well as one in leamington ontario and those things SOLD OUT..both times the vendors ran out of supplies it was crazy!!..for the tshirts what they did was had all colors of shirts and a hole rack of iron on's and people picked a tshirt and whatever iron on they wanted and scott did them right there in 10 minutes..that is all he did all weekend was iron ons :D also the collars with name plates is a GREAT seller too..when i was at CABELAS a few weeks ago i told the manager it would make sense to have some gundog merchandise such as hats, keychains ect BESIDES LABS, its seems the only things they carry are LABS for everything, i couldnt find ANYTHING with a shorthair on it and he said the LABS sell out thats why :| so if a booth was set up there with shorthair, britt, pointer, gwp, lab stuff on it i think that would do better then ANY other booth and you could also include your own products among these items as well as some pics of your pups/dogs, JMO..have fun, i wish i was going :( ......ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:59 pm

i went to the one in Iowa in 2010 and mostly just walked around checking out the sights. bought a couple collars that i was in need of and saved my self an order. i did sit through one or two seminars but like has been said already there really isnt much to learn in such a short period of time. I think like any show most people go for the handouts and just to look around and eyeball. Like others have said keep us posted always loooking to put faces to names.

I will say that my buddy bought the fartingist "bleep" gsp ive ever been around! There was 12in of snow along the interstate and we drove home with the windows down...

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Ive been to three of them two in Omaha and one in Iowa.I really liked them but they are dominated by dog food ,ammunition and hunting destination booths.there wasn't much for gun dog supply company's.I purchased a astro two years ago at cabalas and was hopping someone was selling them there or maybe some one from garmine might be there but there wasn't .there wasn't any bird launcher,bird transport cages ,kennels,or kennel supply company's.I dont know how many of these you can sell at the show but if you have someone with knowledge and maybe a flier with a show discount would generate some sales.If you do get a both get it by the dog village and bring a dog I think you could evan bring a poodle and it would generate more foot traffic than you want in three days.hope to see you there they have some good seminars.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:12 pm

I will say that my buddy bought the fartingist "bleep" gsp ive ever been around! There was 12in of snow along the interstate and we drove home with the windows down...
Thats priceless. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:35 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:
You need to get one, or more, of the manufactures of products that you would have there to go in on the booth with you. That is what my company does when we get a booth at a industry show.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm

I've been a speaker at the last three Pheasant Fests, walk around and talk to a lot of exhibitors, used to do the same at a lot of more general sportsmen's shows. They are all hard to make pencil out based on sales at the show, but if you use it to generate leads for follow-up, it will be easier to justify the expense. Someone mentioned the collar guy - true, he had a crowd all day but I doubt he made much in the way of profit as they were fire-sale priced. But I think he's coming back - friend of a friend of mine.

There are a lot of tire-kickers and bargain hunters, for sure. Plenty of good seminars (hope you'll come to mine), and a chance to talk with real experts and factory types: food, guns, gear. But these are hard-core participants, so they will drive a long way, spend a long time there, and might just be enticed to buy something unique that solves their problems. I might even sell my Real Bird Bumpers this time around. Whoever mentioned bringing a dog is right - there are a ton, of every size and shape.

See you there.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Yeah, I don't plan on making enough money in selling products to regain my expenditures. I'd have to sell a bung load of product. It would be as you said - Follow-up and advertising. Selling some products and meeting people. :D

Can you say HUGE tax write off? :lol:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:17 am

I want to go, cuase Im a board member for chapter and just see the show!
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy