birds an heat

Hattrick

birds an heat

Post by Hattrick » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Trying to transport an keep birds in this heat for training SUCKS!!!!!!!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: birds an heat

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:35 am

Yes it does, this heat is no good for man or beast....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:43 am

if its too hot to transport birds its too hot to train dogs!

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:14 pm

What mudhunter said
Dog On Point!!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Keep them in the cab with you for transport. If that isnt an option put them in the bed of the truck and place a board over your crate to shade them in the sun, also cool down the bed with some water from the hose to cool the bed. As long as you keep moving the birds will be fine in the shade. By the way I am in Kansas, your probably not any hotter than we are especially factoring in the humidity. Good luck! :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 pm

It is HOT here in Arkansas. I transport my birds from the quail folks in my car. As soon as I get them to the house I spray them down with cold water prior to putting in my quail pens. Quail last about 4 weeks here before they are all shot, I don't keep more than about a 4 weeks worth at a time.

One thing I like about my homer pigeons. I am down to 40 homer pigeons, but the heat doesn't kill those tough birds. I use pigeons all summer because of the strong scent and hardiness.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Its crazy hot here.. 98-112 with humidity we made a bird run the other day picked up 36 chucker at 7 am by 4 pm we had 8 left $4:75 a clip ,we keep them in the shade an put a fan on them. I also lost about 35 homers in the last 2 months not sure if that was heat related but still sucks! This homer thing has screwed up not sure whats going wrong, it does seem every time i pick up homers the temp goes through the roof. We keep are trainig to the early mornings an late evenings

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Ouch, that was an expensive bird run. :( We cut up a few oranges on training days, when the gamebirds are confined to crates, and they go nuts over them. Not sure if it makes a huge difference in hydration, but somebody showed me that. I've had a few small losses with pigeons before, that 4 in 1 medication seemed to clear up.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:55 am

Hattrick,

I have had a ton of problems with chukar. They seem to put off a lot of heat by piling up on each other. Spraying down with a water hose helps, but those birds are crazy.
Sorry about your homers. I have had the opposite experience. I have only had a few pigeons die in the last 10 yrs. I have lost more pigeons to hawks, because we train in the morning or evenings usually. I think the hawks get them when the sun is not up good. They seem to get about 1-2 birds per week during the summer. When I train in mid-day once the temps cool, I don't seem to loose as many.

I am so ready for the heat to go away.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:41 am

I like the orange trick , i was using the 4-1 stuff didn't help, the only thing i can think of is the mice are getting in my pigeon feed an the heat magnifies it...i was hoping to have about 50-60 homers by early fall for training with crew... Iive an learn i guess