bringing the puppy home

GSPaddict

bringing the puppy home

Post by GSPaddict » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:45 am

Hello, I need some advice on how to bring my puppy home. I am getting him in june and my family and I are driving 8 hours to get there. What type of crate should I use in your experience? we will be driving a mini van.

We will be stopping every hour to let the dog relieve himself (and the children) , any other recommendations?

Thanks again!
Pierre

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:21 pm

Just a med regular crate will do...and on an 8 hour trip you would only needs to stop every 2 -3 hours unless the kids can't hold it lol
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:43 pm

A small or medium sized airline crate will work fine good luck with the pup.

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:39 am

What you're going to do sounds good. I'm in a similar situation as I'm driving 12 hours to bring my pup home in June.

The crate thing is great...don't forget laps....On a long drive, let the pup sit on someone's lap for awhile to be petted. If your kids are old enough, let the pup sit on their laps while they pet it...good bonding time.

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:20 am

Thanks for the tips. One of my kids "could" be old enough to hold him but well see... the other is 1 year old and he just learned not to pull the cat by its tail. This will be a challenge at first.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:27 am

they are like human kids. they fall asleep when the car is moving.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:49 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:they are like human kids. they fall asleep when the car is moving.
SOME do. Mine does. It's heaven compared to my sister's weim, who gets very anxious when in a vehicle. Luckily he's big enough to go in a crate in the back of the truck now.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux